Which Trumps: Destroy Magic or Counter Spell

By Atheral, in Talisman Rules Questions

During a game a couple days ago this dilemma occurred, at the end of the turn the warrior (me) cast destroy magic "cast at the start or end of your turn. No character, including yourself, may cast a Spell or use any Magic Object until the start of your next turn." Quickly the Sage cast counter spell "Cast as required. Negate the effects of any Spell just cast including the Command Spell" . My argument was that destroy magic prevents all spells from being cast and counter spell is a spell ergo it cannot be cast. His argument Is just the opposite as counter spell negates any spell.

I thought I read something about this on here before but I can't find it so I thought I'd lay this one at your feet to see the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Atheral said:

During a game a couple days ago this dilemma occurred, at the end of the turn the warrior (me) cast destroy magic "cast at the start or end of your turn. No character, including yourself, may cast a Spell or use any Magic Object until the start of your next turn." Quickly the Sage cast counter spell "Cast as required. Negate the effects of any Spell just cast including the Command Spell" . My argument was that destroy magic prevents all spells from being cast and counter spell is a spell ergo it cannot be cast. His argument Is just the opposite as counter spell negates any spell.

I thought I read something about this on here before but I can't find it so I thought I'd lay this one at your feet to see the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Counterspell can be cast on any Spell to negate the effect and has always priority, otherwise it will be useless. This includes Destroy Magic, Nullify and in general all Spells that have effect on Spells.

You can better keep counter spell for something else.

Destroy magic is not something that you actually want to draw. You are only safe until the start of your next turn against spell casting.

Only point of DM I regularly use is something that in the BI edition was ruled legal, until I hear otherwise, will apply it as such in the R4th. DM prevents the use of Magic Objects for the duration of the turn it's cast on, so cast it at the end of your turn, when another character would on their next move go from Pits/Werewolf to Valley of Fire. Talisman is a Magic Object, so they can't move forward, instead are forced to backtrack (buying you at least 6 rounds). It's true that Talisman isn't "used" in the sense as say Rod of Ruin, but DM negates magic for the turn it's effective, nullifying Talisman's power to allow access to the Valley of Fire. Like I said, BI ed. this was clarified in the FAQ as legit play, will see what the R4th FAQ will bring. Hopefully it will remain the same, DM is a fairly bad spell in itself.

Dam said:

Only point of DM I regularly use is something that in the BI edition was ruled legal, until I hear otherwise, will apply it as such in the R4th. DM prevents the use of Magic Objects for the duration of the turn it's cast on, so cast it at the end of your turn, when another character would on their next move go from Pits/Werewolf to Valley of Fire. Talisman is a Magic Object, so they can't move forward, instead are forced to backtrack (buying you at least 6 rounds). It's true that Talisman isn't "used" in the sense as say Rod of Ruin, but DM negates magic for the turn it's effective, nullifying Talisman's power to allow access to the Valley of Fire. Like I said, BI ed. this was clarified in the FAQ as legit play, will see what the R4th FAQ will bring. Hopefully it will remain the same, DM is a fairly bad spell in itself.

Wow , that's another nasty trick from Dam hehe demonio.gif

Never thought about that. And if a character must return to the plain of peril, then you have a chance to steal the talisman in battle etc hehe gran_risa.gif

Then you have give yourself some free turns while the other player can do nothing but walking back partido_risa.gif

One question came up.

If you have destroy magic, does it work against the command spell, so that the other player cannot cast the command spell at his next turn.

On most spells it is stated that it includes the command spell but not on the destroy magic spell card.

I was just wondering about it...

Velhart said:

One question came up.

If you have destroy magic, does it work against the command spell, so that the other player cannot cast the command spell at his next turn.

On most spells it is stated that it includes the command spell but not on the destroy magic spell card.

I was just wondering about it...

We use it in that way.