Tournament Rules 2.5 update

By jasonconlon, in CoC Organized Play

A couple of interesting changes in the new tourney rules.

Previous scoring: Each match is worth 1 point which goes to the winner. If there is a tie the point is split between both players at 0.5. A loss is worth 0.

New scoring: Each match is worth 3 point which goes to the winner. If there is a tie each player is awarded 1 point. A loss is worth 0.

Previous rule: If time is called and the players have not completed their game, then the player who went second completes his final round...

New rule: If time is called and the players have not completed their game, then each player will complete 1 additional turn...

When I first read that, and realised this could create an uneven number of turns, I thought I better just check that I'd read that right...

Hi Damon,

Can I just check that I've understood the new ruling correctly about turns and ending the game...

"If time is called and the players have not completed their game, then each player will complete 1 additional turn and then the player who has won the most stories wins the game."

Does this now mean there may be an uneven number of turns when the game ends? For instance, if time is called during the first player's turn, then the second player gets one more turn and so does the first player, with the game then ending with the first player having had one more turn than the second player?

--Jason--

That is correct.

The change was because when you play with the knowledge that is no time remaining you play differently than if you knew you had to accumulate the most success tokens or win one more story. It was decided that while this method could give someone more turns than another player, the advantage of that was much less than the ability to play out a turn with repercussions, sacrificing characters and board position to grab the timed win.

At first I didn't like the possibility of an uneven number of turns, but it's since occurred to me that an uneven number of turns would actually result in an even number of story attempt opportunities (as the first player skips the story phase on their initial turn), so I actually think this change could be a good thing - giving both players one last swing, and the chance for both to do things differently knowing it's their final turn.

Edited by jasonconlon

Thanks for the clarification. Interresting change, indeed.