Starfighters

By Yepesnopes, in Game Mechanics

Comparing the stats for the X-Wing, Y-Wing and B-Wing starfighters with previous incarnations of the SW rpg (WEG and Saga) and with the stats for light freighters in EotE, I have the impression that their Handling is too low.

In particular, both the Y-Wing (hand: 0) and the B-Wing (hand: -1) have handling values which are in the same range as bulkier less manoeuvrable ships like the Lambda-class T-4 shuttle (hand: 0) or the YT-1300 light freighter (-1). The same goes for the X-Wing with a handling: +1, the same value as the outdated Z-95 Headhunter.

I know that FFG is trying to build a total new game and by using their own criteria they are try to differentiate from previous incarnations of the SW rpg (WEG and Saga), yet it feels wrong to me. I will go for X-Wing -> Handling: +2, Y-Wing -> Handling: +1 and B-Wing -> Handling: 0

Thoughts on this subject?

Yepes

It looks wrong at first, but its right, Edge does work a lot differently then the other games, and that's why.

In other games the maneuverability of a craft usually came into play in more ways then one.WEG for example needed that high score to do things like allow a player to be able to fly an x-wing and shoot its guns and avoid enemy fire all at once.

Edge doesn't work that way, if you aren't covering ground, or performing a specific maneuver or chasing another ship, you don't need to roll a piloting check, the game just assumes you won't run into stuff. When you shoot at another ship its size and shields dictate the base difficulty, not the ships handling.

Finally, the skill and talent system can make up for low handling. So a B-wing being flown by a character with Skilled Jockey acts as if it had handling 0, not -1. And Skilled Jockey is available to all the piloting oriented specs.

That said you aren't the only one, enough people are having trouble understanding FFG vehicle combat rules that you're seeing a lot of modded and rewritten home rules to fix things that look wrong.

To me it's helpful to think of handling in terms of the ship's Silhouette. A B-wing is smaller and more maneuverable than a YT-1300, despite them both being Handling -1. The B-wing is simply much less maneuverable than an X-wing or TIE. By the same token, the YT-2400 may look more maneuverable than the B-wing, but it's still bigger and the fighter will be able to it it easier than the freighter can hit the fighter, just because of size differences.

Really the big problem to me is that -3 to +3 is not a big range of modification. Neither is top Speed 1-6. On the other hand, opening that range would definitely result in craft having +6 Boost dice to piloting checks, which is itself sort of absurd/impossible to fail. We've seen TIE Interceptors clip asteroids etc, they shouldn't be able to perfectly ignore all environmental obstacles.