Newbie Questions from second game

By Lilikin, in Runewars

Hi,

just finished my second game of this in over a year :P I love it the first guy I played with didnt so much but this guy was ok with it.

so the questions

1. if I mass a massive army (over 8 units) onto a hex I believe it says I can move back the units after the battle to a retreat able space what if I charge say 20 units based on some fast movers moving two spaces and there is only a single line of hexes to retreat do I retreat them two spaces kill them (I did this) or whatever else?

2. were we playing it wrong or does it turn into runes being placed on the players home spaces and as more are acquired basically they just creep forward. Our game ended in a draw because we both captured the same number of runes and they were basically safe back at the base due to the insta spam of troops we were both doing. Did I miss something?

PS this is one of the first strategy games of this kind that I love 1v1

1. if I mass a massive army (over 8 units) onto a hex I believe it says I can move back the units after the battle to a retreat able space what if I charge say 20 units based on some fast movers moving two spaces and there is only a single line of hexes to retreat do I retreat them two spaces kill them (I did this) or whatever else?

When you retreat units after the battle, you must pick one adjacent hex to retreat all your retreating units to. You must pick a friendly hex (ie: a hex containing other units of yours) if one is available, otherwise you may pick an empty hex. If there are more than 8 units in the chosen hex after you have finished retreating, the excess are destroyed.

You can go all in for massive overkill if you want to, but you will end up paying the piper, one way or the other. =P

2. were we playing it wrong or does it turn into runes being placed on the players home spaces and as more are acquired basically they just creep forward. Our game ended in a draw because we both captured the same number of runes and they were basically safe back at the base due to the insta spam of troops we were both doing. Did I miss something?

You can only have one rune token per hex, and you have to have at least one unit or stronghold in a non-homeland hex in order to control it and the rune within. Homeland hexes are controlled by you automatically, unless another player has units/strongholds there.

As long as you were doing both of those things right, I don't think you missed anything.

Thank you Stevo-O

I was expecting to lose a lot of my army but was extremely lucky with the cards so it wasn't too bad those archers are really like machine guns

Are there any variants that put Runes out into the middle of the map!

I think the revised edition rules tell you to place all starting runes anywhere except in home realms.

I think the revised edition rules tell you to place all starting runes anywhere except in home realms.

They can't start out next to home realms, either.