Cataclysm tournament format

By rzarectz, in Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game

My playgroup is trying to get a free for all/fulcrum based tournament going and there's been some discussion as to what would be the best way to structure the thing given the complications with FFA multi(more than 2)-player play.

The best format I can think of would be to allocate tournament points (instead of wins and losses) based on your dominance count at end of game. So the winner would get 8 pts, and the losers would get whatever they have at games end. In the case of a triple burn or mill end game condition you would just again allocate pts = dominance at end of game.

If you want to give more of a reward to the player who wins on top of his dominance perhaps you could give a bonus point or 2. Hard to say how much, if anything, this bonus should be though...

You could then run swiss based format for large groups to determine match ups, or an everyone plays everyone format for small groups and then tally points to find a winner after a predetermined number of rounds. Voila! Winner!

Has anyone run a multiplayer tourneys yet? How did you score? What are people's thoughts on the best way to structure a multiplayer tourney?

Thanks!

Edited by rzarectz

Our league is having this format of play, every day of league we play 3 matches, the person who gets the mpst dominance of the day wins and the one who gets the most cumulated dominance at the end wins the league, personally I find this format a little less competitive that traditional 1 vs 1 since cataclysm is a more casual format in my point of view (sorry for the syntax, english is not my native language)

I thought about running a similar league with a campaign component. I wanted to print out a map of the old world and play it like an extended game of Risk. Each player would start with certain territories, their own homeland and additional territories based on a round robin format set by d20 rolls. People would take turns picking territories until none were left. Each game session would accumulate points sort of like how you described. At the end the winning player could take a territory from a player owning a territory adjacent to one of their own, with a lower score. It could go down the list until either everyone had a territory (except the bottom score) or no one was capable of taking any more territories.

So far this plan has not come to fruition, but I would love to run it at some point.

Edited by Kheivalo

Cool idea Kheivalo