Commando: Too Much Blooded?

By beeble530, in Game Mechanics

So I was building a Commando character for one of my players and found that the talent tree doesn't really line up with what is described in the description. While they are certainly masters of close quarters combat and can survive almost anything, some of the talent choices don't make a lot of sense.

Primarily, I'm talking about Blooded. Honestly, I don't think characters in the Star Wars universe, particularly Commandos, are subject to poisons very often, at least in my games. While one, or even two instances of Blooded is justifiable, it really is too specific of a talent to appear three times on the tree. In addition, it appears at fairly important junctures, such as the entry level linked Cost 5 slot and a 4-linked Cost 10 slot. Basically, it looks like the Commando was designed as a character who MUST be resistant to poisons, which doesn't really line up with what I imagine when I think of a commando.

The description mentions that they are "surgical instruments" and "good at sneaking". That is hardly reflected in the skills or talent tree at all. Stealth nor any stealth related talents are available to the Commando. I suggest that an instance of, say, Stalker, might be better suited in one of the Blooded slots. Otherwise, I would suggest another talent related to Survival or ranged weapons would be better suited, as the raw "survivability" of the character is already well represented.

Agreed. This was discussed in another thread also, but there was some consensus it seemed that one of the Blooded could be switched for Stalker.

I'm still waiting for my book, probably getting it tomorrow at the earliest (if I'm really lucky). It was custom cleared today apparently, two b[@@#% weeks after it was sent. And that was the "fast" shipping. Never again.

Very lame about the shipping, Jegergryte. I'm sure the book will be worth the frustrating wait :)

I am also of the mind of the general consensus: replace an instance of Blooded with Stalker. Very Commando.