The Worth of Unstoppable

By angelicdoctor, in Game Mechanics

I am not sure that I understand the value of this talent. So I roll a one on the critcal injury list or have it reduced to one, with this talent I simply negate that injury (the Minor Nick)? I don't see that as a nice return on investment.

It stacks really well with Durable, is the thing. Getting out of having a Critical Injury entirely is a good deal.

The difference being that a below 1 crit is still crit, and thus a +10 on the next crit, except with Unstoppable. It's only a matter of import with Durable, but with Durable 2 or 3, it's suddenly a pretty useful boon.

Durable is available in a number of places

AOR: Ace — Gunner - 2 ranks - Tree + (5+50)=55XP

AOR: Soldier — Commando — 2 ranks — Tree + (25+55)=80XP — Unstoppable is +25 XP

EOTE: Explorer — Fringer — 1 rank — Tree + 30 XP

EOTE: Hired Gun — Bodyguard — 1 rank — Tree + 5 XP

That's up to 6 ranks of Durable for under 600 XP (including trees), and first crit is ignored 60% of the time.

Just within AOR, it's pretty well doable for 250 XP for any character with less than 3 trees already open.

You automatically have 2 levels of Durable before you can get Unstoppable so with it one has a 20% chance of not getting crit at all. Combine that with another specialization with more Durable levels and you can pretty much be nigh unstoppable.

It stacks really well with Durable, is the thing. Getting out of having a Critical Injury entirely is a good deal.

Thanks for the response, Rikoshi. BTW, am loving the module you worked on related to the Order 66 Kickstarter.

I am still scratching my head on this one, however, even with aramis' explanation (which, I am sorry aramis, only served to further muddle things for me, at least). I am simply not understanding too well the positive attributes of this talent. I am going to have to further review both talents. I was not aware that they, that is the Durable and Unstoppable talents, were kind of meant to be used together or expected to be used together in this fashion.

You automatically have 2 levels of Durable before you can get Unstoppable so with it one has a 20% chance of not getting crit at all. Combine that with another specialization with more Durable levels and you can pretty much be nigh unstoppable.

Ah, I see. I should have viewed first the relation these two had in the actual tree depicted on the appropriate page. SImply reading through the Talents chapter gives no hint of any of this relationship. Perhaps we could have verbiage added to the Talents chapter noting these relational aspects?

The designers themselves have said that part of a talent's game balance is both it's cost to purchase, and where it's located on the talent tree. Just because a given talent might only cost 10 XP to purchase (for instance, Overwhelm Emotions for the F/S Exile), but you've got to spend 85 XP on other talents just to get to it (plus the cost of the specialization itself) as you've got to go up one side of the spec, then loop around and move back down the center.

It's not too different from the notion of the "third tier" talents that started showing up in Saga Edition when Scum & Villainy was released, though the big difference there was that those "third tier" talents were obviously potent character abilities, where Unstoppable on paper and on it's own doesn't look so hot, until you factor in what you need to purchase to get there.

Thanks for the response, Rikoshi. BTW, am loving the module you worked on related to the Order 66 Kickstarter.

I am still scratching my head on this one, however, even with aramis' explanation (which, I am sorry aramis, only served to further muddle things for me, at least). I am simply not understanding too well the positive attributes of this talent. I am going to have to further review both talents. I was not aware that they, that is the Durable and Unstoppable talents, were kind of meant to be used together or expected to be used together in this fashion.

Oh hey, cool! I'm glad you like the module so far! I had a lot of fun writing it, and I hope people have fun running it and playing in it.

But yeah, Durable and Unstoppable are definitely meant to be used together because without Durable, you can't really get a 'negative' value for your critical injury roll.

Basically, what Unstoppable does for you is it makes low-rolling critical injuries a non-issue. Not only do you not suffer the effects, you don't even have the critical injury show up on your character. This is important for two reasons: a) you don't get the additional +10 to future critical injury rolls, and b) you don't suck up a once-per-week 'slot' to recover from a critical injury for the hit, because as far as Unstoppable is concerned, the injury didn't even happen.