Bunch of questions for RTL left unanswered in the old forums

By SSJRicer, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

1) Quest 7: The Graveyard - Does Adrian has undying in addition to his abilty to sacrifice non-master skeletons in range of 5?

2) In The Fool's Rapids - when a hero ends his movement on an encounter marker, does the OL have to read aloud the white part in the booklet thats between "The Key Crystals" and the "If all of the key crystals in the start area have been removed" so that the players would know what happened, or does he keep that information to himself? (and in general all area-style levels?).

Also do the heroes need to know the Blind Giant's stats?

3) In the start area of The Fool's Rapids, is the X marker shown to the heroes, or only when the conditions are met, the X is revealed/changed?

4) On Quest 40: Shreds of Night: Sess can destroy armor or shields. Destroy means sent to the graveyard?

5) On Quest 16: What Lies Beneath: If a surge is rolled, the OL may play any trap from his entire deck (hand + discarded + deck) or just his hand?

6) Is there still a limit of one spawn card per turn for the OL in a dungeon, or can he use as many as he want during his spawn step if he has enough threat to flip his reinforcement marker?

1) Does it say he losses undying? if not then he still has it. I believe we played it so that he a sacrifices before rolling for undying. Meaning if he ever rolls for undying and fails he is dead and does not get to sacrifice a skeleton.

2a) Regarding hidden text our play group reveals any all information for an area they have revealed. Descent is a tactics game and as stuff does not change it only takes plying it once or reading the book to know everything so why try and hide it? generally it only leads to frustration on the Hero's part.

2b) Again we reveal all relevant information I pretty sure your never supposed to hide monster stats.

3) Will have to look it up.

4) Very few things are sent to the graveyard and I believe they all state as much. When equipment is destroyed from Frost, Crushing blow, monster ability ect. it is simply put back into its treasure deck.

5) Will have to look it up.

6) 1 Spawn per turn did not change in Rt

SSJRicer said:

1) Quest 7: The Graveyard - Does Adrian has undying in addition to his abilty to sacrifice non-master skeletons in range of 5?

1) The Card does not say Adrian loses undying, so yes, he still has it.

SSJRicer said:

2) In The Fool's Rapids - when a hero ends his movement on an encounter marker, does the OL have to read aloud the white part in the booklet thats between "The Key Crystals" and the "If all of the key crystals in the start area have been removed" so that the players would know what happened, or does he keep that information to himself? (and in general all area-style levels?).

Also do the heroes need to know the Blind Giant's stats?

2. In general, the only info the OL must reveal verbatim is the information in the gray-filled boxes. Any information contained outside of the boxes is revealed when the heroes would obviously come to know it, at the OL's discretion. Specifically, the key crystal info is that heroes who end their movement on them activate the crystal and recover 1 hp, so you should pass that information along the first time they activate a crystal. Also, you should let them know that all of the encounter markers in the specific areas represent crystals instead of complete unknowns.

Finally, for the Blind Giant's stats, you only need to reveal its armor value when struck, its special skills when they are activated, and its hp value when it dies. Most overlords will let their players know boss monsters' stats from the get-go, which is fine and sporting. The only mistake would be hiding the stats forever.

SSJRicer said:

3) In the start area of The Fool's Rapids, is the X marker shown to the heroes, or only when the conditions are met, the X is revealed/changed?

3. Any x on any map is always hidden until the special effect related to it is activated.

SSJRicer said:

4) On Quest 40: Shreds of Night: Sess can destroy armor or shields. Destroy means sent to the graveyard?

4. Things must be explicitly sent to the graveyard in order to end up there. Destroy means discard in most cases, including this one. Most decks have their own way of dealing with the discard pile: in this specific case, you discard any town items back into the town items deck and reshuffle treasure deck discards back into their respective decks at the end of the Week (although I believe it's ok to shuffle them back in whenever).

SSJRicer said:

5) On Quest 16: What Lies Beneath: If a surge is rolled, the OL may play any trap from his entire deck (hand + discarded + deck) or just his hand?

5. OL Cards must allways be played from the overlord's hand unless it says otherwise.

SSJRicer said:

6) Is there still a limit of one spawn card per turn for the OL in a dungeon, or can he use as many as he want during his spawn step if he has enough threat to flip his reinforcement marker?

6. The limit was not revoked for RtL, so it still exists.

Re 2: In basic Descent as well as in multi-area levels in RtL, the OL has to give the changed stats (armor, HP) to the heros when encountering the boss. Any specials (additional or missing abilities) are not to be revealed. At least that´s how it is in the rules (or FAQ or Forum, can´t remember, but am 100% sure).

Can you give me the link that says it so that I could show my OL friend? He tends to argue if he doesn't see it in his own eyes.

Why keep anything hidden? All information is part of rules, dungeons ect. and is meant to be replayed and so they would know eventually anyway.

When you keep something hidden it only makes the Heroes feel cheated the first time you reveal something that totally screws them. Then there is discussion as to weather they were supposed to know about it ahead of time ect. ect.

In my group we all take turns playing OL and Heroes which means its pointless to try and keep any information hidden. I also think that switching roles has made everyone a better player.