Anti-vehicle mines

By capnhayes, in Game Mechanics

I assume that the anti-vehicle mines are in personal scale. Which means that they aren't much use against any military vehicles, besides speeder bikes and small land speeders. No threat at all to Walkers! Just a more powerful anti-personal mine.

Well, it does have Breach 4, so it's ignoring 4 points of vehicle armour…but still, you're right. It's noted as " designed to destroy walkers, speeders, and other land-borne vehicles. " But doing 0.5 damage to an ATAT (or perhaps 1, if you roll 5 successes), and only doing 2 damage to an ATST (which has HTT of 15), it's not going to be destroying anything.

And it's not even a powerful anti-personal mine, since the description says it requires the pressure of a vehicle or presence of a repulsorlift field.

-EF

I don't have my book with me, but I would assume their damage is in whatever scale most ground-based military vehicles are in, even if that isn't explicitly stated. Would be nice to have some clarification, though.

I don't have my book with me, but I would assume their damage is in whatever scale most ground-based military vehicles are in, even if that isn't explicitly stated. Would be nice to have some clarification, though.

If it's vehicle scale, that would be a big boom indeed! 25 damage, with breach 4 is enough to destroy a Lambda -class shuttle! Now that is an anti-vehicle mine!

As it stands, it's in the personal-scale weapons chapter, and nothing says "vehicle-scale damage" so we're assuming it's character-scale.

-EF

OK, what about this: up the damage a little bit (a mine doesn't usually actually destroy an armored vehicle) and give it some points in Vicious? Is there some way to do that, considering a mine doesn't usually have a skill test associated with it? In my mind a mine should be disabling systems and the like, rather than actually exploding the vehicle.

Be sure to compare it against a missile tube as well...

Since the description implies that it is used to destroy walkers, maybe not AT-ATs but as I recall from the movies like ROTJ it didn't take much to drop a AT-ST. So I'm going to use them as if they were in planetary scale. For three reasons, 1; this is the Beta version, and maybe they will elaborate or fix this in the Core rulebook, and 2; it does state in the description that they ignore characters (personal scale targets), and lastly I don't find the damage to be unreasonable for taking out most vehicles including some walkers, although clearly not AT-ATs! But most other vehicles should be disabled easily by this type of weapon. Not barely if its only a speeder bike, and maybe a civilian landspeeder if the damage is high enough! Unless a Developer can clear this up officially.

What's the armour of an AT-AT or an AT-ST? With Breach 4 I'd assume their armour equals 1 or 0? I know,still not a whole lot of damage, but if - from what I can gather - the damage is 25, that's 2 hull trauma, a total 5 successes turns that into 3. Also, I'd think that you don't place just one mine out there, it's going to be a mine field, so the vehicle is going to hit many of these. :ph34r: Adding a sort of vicious quality might be useful, but consider having 5 to 6 of these placed in close proximity to each other... that's 10 to 12 damage (assuming amour 0) plus successes, and some critical hits on top, if you're lucky.

Or am I completely off now?

What's the armour of an AT-AT or an AT-ST? With Breach 4 I'd assume their armour equals 1 or 0? I know,still not a whole lot of damage, but if - from what I can gather - the damage is 25, that's 2 hull trauma, a total 5 successes turns that into 3. Also, I'd think that you don't place just one mine out there, it's going to be a mine field, so the vehicle is going to hit many of these. :ph34r: Adding a sort of vicious quality might be useful, but consider having 5 to 6 of these placed in close proximity to each other... that's 10 to 12 damage (assuming amour 0) plus successes, and some critical hits on top, if you're lucky.

That would assume that the vehicle doesn't stop as soon as it triggers the first mine. Since that's likely to happen, you want to make your mines individually powerful enough to disable your intended target. Further, if you have to lay a dozen mines to do the job of one effective mine, the inefficiency is overwhelming. It's like outfitting 12 troopers with airsoft guns rather than giving 1 a battle rifle.

Well, are there any rules about distance needed between mines? Why not place many in the same area, then they will all trigger simultaneously.

Ah well, I see there's an issue here. I'll stay away.

AT-AT: Armour 6, HTT 40

AT-ST: Armour 3, HTT 15

So one mine wouldn't do anything to an AT-AT (breah 4 means 2 armour still applies, and it's doing 2 damage, maybe 3 with a really good roll). Against an AT-ST, however, that's 2 or 3 damage right off the bat, almost 20% of their HTT.

If it did 25 vehicle-scale damage, that would be 23 damage to an AT-AT, and completely destroy an AT-ST.

-EF

That would assume that the vehicle doesn't stop as soon as it triggers the first mine. Since that's likely to happen, you want to make your mines individually powerful enough to disable your intended target. Further, if you have to lay a dozen mines to do the job of one effective mine, the inefficiency is overwhelming. It's like outfitting 12 troopers with airsoft guns rather than giving 1 a battle rifle.

W

If a vehicle stops it's approach once it hits a mine then that's as good as destroying it outright for the battle if not the war. And more cost efficient. If I can make you retreat with a small cheap mine why would I kill you with an expensive one?

That's one problem I find with Rpers and Gms. You don't need to kill everything and not everyone will fight to the death.

Looking at the Anti-vehicle Mine (I got my book today!) I noticed that its Blast rating is 2 ... that makes even less sense, unless its vehicle scale damage.

Looking at the Anti-vehicle Mine (I got my book today!) I noticed that its Blast rating is 2 ... that makes even less sense, unless its vehicle scale damage.

Because a vehicle is like an enclosed room?

Shaped charge vs fragmentation charge. The thing still explodes, so you don't want to be standing next to it when it goes off, but The majority of the blast is going to be focused at the vehicle setting it off.