The polygamous nature of the Sullustans

By angelicdoctor, in General Discussion

Personally, I'm offended by it. Further, it doesn't add anything to the game, in my humble opinion. As a parent, I cannot in good conscience introduce this aspect of the game to my children. Please re-consider making this 'bit of fluff' added to the final core rules. I am not really looking to debate any one's opinion on this matter. Just making my thoughts known to the designers. Thanks, all.

I favor seeing variety in the various species of Star Wars. If a culture engages in polygamy, so be it. Don't let intolerance IRL restrict imaginary cultures.

Edited by HappyDaze

Most species on this world are polygamous. Why shouldn't some species in a galaxy full of species be the same? Do you get offended that an insect race is all female except for the few males who tend the queen to keep her happy and pregnant?

then don't make them polygamous.

honestly, a little tolerance goes a long way.

Offended by a game set in a fantasy world... interesting. I always knew some were (across the Atlantic and in some small ... communities around here), but never heard of actual players of a game being offended... by its fluff. Wow, I find that very interesting. I'd like to know more.

As for not adding to the game, sure it does, or can do, for (probably) just the same reason(s) that it offends you - which I can only speculate in, but assume is based on some moral stance. Moral questions always add to a game.

Tolerance...ah, yes. Modern man's favorite 'virtue'. And yet, as Inigo Montoya has often been quoted, 'You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.'

I'd rather protest the fact that they have a 3 Agility. Sullustans have never have never been said to be acrobatic or agile.

The polyandrous facet of the Sullustans appears in other sources (and, of course, on Wookieepedia), so retaining it in the description makes perfect sense asFFG does not appear to be straying from the canon on established facets of the Star Wars universe.

As for this matter being offensive to some, I would just have to say that there will always be a few that will find offense in any given situation. That the marriage practices of a fictional species living in a galaxy far, far away might become the hill that someone wishes to die upon today, does not terribly surprise me. People can be strange that way.

No one has any right to NOT be offended. The information is consistent with the established universe and adds interesting flavor. Please keep the information as is. If OP doesn't want to explain to their children what that is then they can use a black marker. I look forward to science fiction making us better people through bringing up such concepts for us to consider.

I don't know about anyone else, but "who kisses who in an elfgame" seems like it should be pretty low on most folks' list of priorities.

Personally, I'm offended by it. Further, it doesn't add anything to the game, in my humble opinion. As a parent, I cannot in good conscience introduce this aspect of the game to my children. Please re-consider making this 'bit of fluff' added to the final core rules. I am not really looking to debate any one's opinion on this matter. Just making my thoughts known to the designers. Thanks, all.

I don't even. Why do?

As a parent, I cannot in good conscience introduce this aspect of the game to my children.

... then don't? If you're GMing for your kids, then you're the one with the core rulebook and whatever you say as a GM goes, you are the master and commander (so to speak) of what your players/children experience in Star Wars tabletop RPGs with you as GM.

Edited by Chortles

Wouldn't it have been better to add this comment to your beta response e-mail? Posting it on the forum makes it seem like you are trolling, which I hopefully doubt.

I frankly disagree with you completely and totally, but you have a complete right to your opinion as long as it does not infringe upon mine.

I don't recall the last time species' mating/breeding habits ever came up in one of my Star Wars games. I wouldn't in good conscience introduce that aspect to my group of 20 to 30-somethings simply on grounds of irrelevancy.

On one hand I can see it being an unimportant detail to the context of the game, but if we're going to be listing details on aliens as distinct living beings with their own cultures and habits then I'd say it's a pretty harmless detail. Lots of historical human cultures have been polygamous.

Angelicdoctor,

I know from past conversations that you've got some fairly strong religious beliefs, given you took offense at something I re-tweeted on my Twitter feed from the time the last pope stepped down, to the point it very much came across that you took something meant as a non-serious joke to be a personal insult on par with my having made derogatory remarks about your children.

However, it's a game . And as others have noted, it's an aspect of the species that shows up in other Star Wars material. If it really annoys you that much, then don't include that aspect of the species in the personal EU of your games. As the posts above show, nobody else is riled up over this minor tidbit. Simple fact is not everyone shares your beliefs. Not saying your wrong for having them (my thought on the matter is that one's religion is strictly between oneself and their patron deity; everyone else can butt the heck out), but you also need to accept that not everyone feels the same way or shares the same beliefs. After all, one man's faith is another man's heathen paganism.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Shouldnt this be an opportunity for a parent to explain what polygamy is? Give kids some credit, anyhow, now-a-days Its alot harder to keep them in the dark about real issues...Better coming from you than the internet.

Ah, the age old "this offends me"-thing... In a game where killing is normal, bloodshed is a standard and fighting is a core mechanic let us focus on some alien race that maries too many women so that I can proclaim to the world I cannot accept it because of my earthly religions...

I knew something was fishy when you started comparing the current usa to the ussr yesterday, now if you want to talk about being offensive I'd start there.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

Tolerance: the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Tolerant: showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Yes, why is it so hard to be tolerant about a FICTIONAL ALIEN RACE. I didn't even know they were polygamist until I read this thread

If it really annoys you that much, then don't include that aspect of the species in the personal EU of your games.

angelicdoctor, the above quote right here is exactly why the response in the thread was overwhelmingly negative, because that's exactly how we'd be reacting if we ourselves had a moral objection to depicting polygamy... it just wouldn't be in our campaigns, simple as that, and "outside source, don't you depict this in your work" is where we can't relate to your reaction to morally objectionable (to you) content (especially if it's but "a bit of fluff" as you said).

Please keep in mind, the description doesn't say they are polygamous. If anything they appear to be more hive driven like bees and ants. They are like a colony of ants with the woman having multiple male mates.

Honestly, I think Zar has a point about the 3 Agility. Why?

How do you get around there being polygamy in the bible?

Also isnt the force kind of like which craft to a lot of you people? "You people"= fundamentalist christians

Also, and I am really serious about this, I am really curious why you would write such a complain on a message board telling everyone involved in these boards about how "offensive this is to you" but then add that it is directed at the developers and not up for discussion. As someone else already said, you could have emailed them about it instead of using a public forum.

Dear game developers,

I am really deeply offended by the sex life and marital bonds of make believe creatures in your games. I want you to only use the human standard for... no wait, scratch that,... I want you to only use the Christian... No wait, too broad again... I want you to only use MY Christian outlook on this and take that to be the standard of your fluff!

Otherwise I won't teach my kids the game.

Regards,

Blablablablabla

Edited by DanteRotterdam

The presence of mind-altering drugs, assault weapons, black market trade, slavery, intelligent life not in the Creator's image, mystical new-age life-energies, and the encouragement of smuggling and overthrowing an established government, however, is all OK.

But never read anything mentioning multiple spouses.

(I skipped Samuel, I Kings, and most of Genesis. Sorry.)

Please remember – these community forums are meant to encourage discussions, not incite arguments. To all involved, if your intent is to communicate directly with developers, please use our User Support form http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_atencion.asp

In addition, when you realize that you disagree with a forum post made by a fellow community member, consider that replying in an argumentative or inflammatory way will likely not contribute anything useful to the discussion.