Starting Duty & Gaining Additional XP

By lordfireyes, in General Discussion

For those that see an imbalance and weakness in the character's abilities did it ever occur that maybe it's intentional? How often did you see one lone smuggler or bounty hunter simply be better than the rebels and they only succeed against that individual by working as an effective unit? I'd say Han and Chewie have higher stats and skills than Luke and Leia as well. But that's all fluff and I wouldn't fall back to much on that argument.

Also for those saying we shouldn't use any EotE material for the beta-testing. Isn't testing the compatibility meant to be a part of playtesting AoR? I honestly think each of the newer systems (AoR and FaD when it get's released) should include a section about that compatibility, how it affects the game and how to apply it.

Edited by Gearlocke

For those that see an imbalance and weakness in the character's abilities did it ever occur that maybe it's intentional? How often did you see one lone smuggler or bounty hunter simply be better than the rebels and they only succeed against that individual by working as an effective unit? I'd say Han and Chewie have higher stats and skills than Luke and Leia as well. But that's all fluff and I wouldn't fall back to much on that argument.

Also for those saying we should use any EotE material for the beta-testing. Isn't testing the compatibility meant to be a part of playtesting AoR? I honestly think each of the newer systems (AoR and FaD when it get's released) should include a section about that compatibility, how it affects the game and how to apply it.

I can get behind that last paragraph's suggestion. It would answer many questions (and perhaps generate new though better informed questions as well!)

So the suggestion is you take the +10xp or be underpowered?

On face value the number of players in your campaign will be of immediate concern then as a 5 player group where each player takes a minimum of 20 Obligation will cause you to reach the 100 Obligation limit straight away. If you are playing with more or less players this may be less of a concern.

As such player count is probably key to this discussion, as it is only with 5 players you risk hitting 100 Obligation as easily as you may.

Another vital concern would be if the GM had a character creation session and allowed players to discuss their choice with regards to Obligation or made it a blind choice. Do you want to be “that guy” that took 30 obligation?

So far in running both the Escape from Mos Shutta and the Long Arm of the Hutt I haven’t had a situation come up where it seemed appropriate to reduce any of the players’ obligation, so had my players all taken the +10 Obligation package, they would have about 30xp each and couldn’t spend it yet.

I see about another 2 sessions (20xp worth) of advancement that would be waiting before I can see a point where some Obligation reduction would be possible. Which hurts less, not having 10xp during character creation or not having 30-50xp after?

Where AoR seems to be going to have trouble is in the player funds at start. Without the obligation mechanic to increase your money at start all you'll have is the 500cr (enough for a Blaster with 6 damage). Is this going to enable you to run missions like Long Arm of the Hutt? I think there may have to be a higher amount where there is no obligation mechanic in the game. Perhaps upon joining the rebellion players are given a bonus of 250cr for gear supplied by the leaders of their group?

That Imperial Security Detail with the Soak of 4 will be a very tough fight at 500cr.

So the suggestion is you take the +10xp or be underpowered?

On face value the number of players in your campaign will be of immediate concern then as a 5 player group where each player takes a minimum of 20 Obligation will cause you to reach the 100 Obligation limit straight away. If you are playing with more or less players this may be less of a concern.

As such player count is probably key to this discussion, as it is only with 5 players you risk hitting 100 Obligation as easily as you may.

You've got it backwards. You cannot take it in a 6+player EOTE group - because you're not allowed to more than double the starting obligation with extra obligation for any purposes, and 6p or more, no one gets more than 5 base ob.

Note that many people interpreted the mechanics of EOTE to allow up to 15 extra XP (taking both the +5 XP and +10 XP lines) in a 2 player (base Ob 20) or 3 player (base ob 15) game. This doesn't affect attributes a whit, tho', as they're in multiples of 10 points in character generation.

4-5p is the sweet spot - 10 base ob.

2p, 2x(20+20)=80 max table Ob

3p, 3x(15+15)=90 max table Ob

4p, 4x(10+10)=80 max table Ob

5p, 5x(10+10)= 100 max table Ob

6p, 6x(5+5)=60 max table Ob

7p, 7x(5+5)=70 max table Ob

8p, 8x(5+5)=80 max table Ob

9p, 9x(5+5)=90 max table Ob

10p, 10x(5+5)= 100 max table Ob

And while I have run a 6p group, it didn't start as one.

My AoR group is looking to be 5.5 players (the 10yo doesn't count as a full player - she wants to play an R2 unit.)