Destroying Objects like doors and cover

By capnhayes, in Game Masters

I have a question. How is destroying cover the characters are hiding behind handled? Also how would door breaching be handled? I have had two situations come up. One, destroying the cover the characters are hiding behind, and then wanting to "blast" open a locked door with their blasters. I couldn't find any rules covering such situations. Or did I miss something?

Well, the short answer is "narratively following a good dice roll" but let me break that down a bit.

For the first instance, you could establish an arbitrary value for the cover's wound threshold. If the characters are smart, they're hiding behind something that can't be destroyed with conventional weapons. Are they hiding behind crates in a landing bay? Or maybe a speeder? A blast door? Also, what did the attacker roll? Lots of advantages and a triumph or two would be what I would require to actually blow up cover.

Same goes for a locked door. Is it a locked blast door on a star destroyer, or a locked plasteel door on a hut?

I think the intention is that you make up the numbers around these situations, it would be a laborious task for someone to come up with every conceivable damage threshold. Pick a number and run with it.

I always found the arbitrary hit points they gave to objects in d20 systems to be tedious. In most cases, I would rule that no matter how many times you blast a solid metal door like the ones we usually see on the Death Star and such, it won't budge. For smaller doors in say, a Tatooine cantina, it's just a matter of spending the action to shoot at it.

Requiring a roll to destroy an unmoving object at point blank seems unnecessary. It would be pretty hard to screw it up. Assigning a Wounds threshold would encourage a player to stand there repeatedly blasting at the door until it fell down, which is very un-cinematic.

As for cover, it would be a great narrative way to describe how advantage is being spent.

I've always imagined (and described it to my players that way) that spending 3 Advantage neutralizes cover by destroying it. I'd be reluctant to assign cover a wound threshold, as I personally feel that would bog the game down in minor details.

Now, if the players need to for example beat down or blast a door (particularly if it's a time-sensitive issue) I can see assigning it a wound threshold being one way of doing it - especially if it's a heavy door like a blast door or similar. With a more regular-type door I'd just call of an Athletics or Ranged (appropriate) check and say, "you need so and so many successes to take it down".

I guess my point is that having players roll over and over again to beat a more or less arbitrary wound threshold to get through an obstacle would be boring and repetitive. Assign some difficulty and setback dice and let them get to work.

In all the movies I can't recall a single door being opened with physical exertion. R2 opened a few by slicing them, Han Solo and even Leia hot wired a few. Luke and his Jedi may have cut open one or two (but do you have Light Sabres?), but I can't remember a single kick or shoulder charge.

So I would probably step back one further than the folks here have recommended, first up how will the door be opened? Can you even use physical violence on the door? If not then perhaps the characters need skullduggery or computers to open the door. Doors in a space ship are not supposed to be opened easily, else some idiot would open up a door to space.

They don't have those skills? Be careful then falling back to combat abilities to allow a shortcut through the door. There are a few threads about players taking combat orientated characters at the expense of non-combat skills and abilities. If you facilitate the player here by allowing them to use a combat ability the risk is they will gravitate towards combative characters.

Edited by Amanal

I got a scene yesterday, where some battle droids (roger-roger) were behind some crates. A player threw a frag grenade and got no success but had 3 or 4 advantages (mid range, he has the strong arm talent and the ability to throw to mid range). So the frag exploded in front of the crates and due to the advantages some crates were blown away. No damage to the droids but my players got a good position to open fire on them.

Awesome advice. Thank you all. I like the cinematic style of doing things, less book keeping and number crunching anyways. I will definitely use this in my game from now on. I am still getting used to doing things in EotE. Its not as rules encumbering as say d20. I was just worried I had missed something in the rules somehow.

I must say after playing this game for the first time last night. I am really loving it.

Like others have said, narratively. I had a player roll a triumph n a failed attacked, I allowed him to blow up the cover the enemies were using which effectively remove a setback die (the cover) for all the othe PCs

Same here. A fight against two big loadlifter droids was bullwork for my PCs. So I also got the situation that one of my players (a "gunslinger") rolled one triumph, no success, 2 fails and 4 advantages (able to trigger another critical hit). Normally it is a roll on the crit table, but there I decided for his two "triumphes" to let him hit the droid directly under his metal skull and burn his "motivators" to rubbish. The 3 and a half meters tall loadlifter tilt forward and banged in a big cloud of dust onto the ground. My player was so happy to be able to do it with just one shot and felt like Han Solo :lol:

Don't you actually have to hit to trigger a Critical Hit? Not saying what you did was wrong, just curious as to the rules. I know you can trigger some weapon qualities without hitting, but thought with a crit you needed to actually hit first.

Edit: Yeah, table on page 205 - not only do you have to hit, you have to deal at least one point of damage (bypass soak)

Edited by IceBear

On the other hand, a triumph matched with a "miss/fail" could mean that you shot the area above the target, bringing something down on their head. That'd either effectively remove them from combat if it was a triumph + several advantage or double triumph, even if all the successes were cancelled. In terms of lesser circumstances, it might mean that they have to spend a maneuver or three trying to get out from under the debris... and would have their own setback dice to do it.

Like I said, I didn't have a problem with the ruling based on the number of advantages and whatnot, it was more of a curiousity as to the official rules

The Crit List can be a good gauge for Triumphant results. You can mine the lower results for ideas on mechanical detriments to characters who don't get hit but still have a Triumph scored against them. Nothing too severe of course, but at any rate they don't actually receive a Critical Injury, so it's a pretty balanced method.

I wouldn't suggest too much of it in-game, as examining charts leads to downtime which is boring for most people, but going into the game with an idea of what's on the Crit Table is a good idea.

The use of advantages and triumphs to remove cover are grand, but it wouldn't be an answer for when the players try to directly break open a door.

I agree just having the GM describe what can or can't happen seems the best solution. But, for those that want to roll the dice, I tried below:

Like anything else, use the narrative dice system in place. Make it an Opposed check with the "skill" of the door assigned by the GM. If it is a simple wooden door, give it 2 difficulty and have the character use Brawn. Now your roll can be used to fuel things such as an injury to your character, falling flat on your ass inside the room, etc. Certain doors/objects may have no chance to be opened by pure physical force. Perhaps the GM should be rolling secretively and telling them the results since the players don't know how tough the door really is. This can lead to fun moments as the players batter their characters to death in idiotic attempts to pound open a blast door.

Blasting away at a door/object? Using a simple weapon skill in an Opposed check doesn't make sense. As mentioned above, it's difficult to miss doors and large objects and the success is pretty much based on the weapon used versus the toughness of the door/object. Half the damage rating of the weapon for the base green dice in the Opposed check? Upgrade the dice based for each level of Breach? A Lightsaber would thus roll 4 Green, 1 Yellow. A Blaster Pistol would roll 3 Green. Then the GM assigns Purples and Reds based on the object/door. Reds would be common in armored objects such as a blast door or the door on the side of a repulsorlift tank.