Anyone else new to the system?

By Norsehound, in General Discussion

I got my first taste of the RPG system this past monday when my best friend wanted to GM the intro kit game with a group of friends to get us into the system. I had a lot of fun and thought about getting into the game system in the near future, when I went into my FLGS and saw Age of Rebellion's beta right on the shelf. It is cheaper than the Egde of the Empire book, newer content than what's available in EotE, and features the Rebel-Empire conflict which I find more interesting, so I got it! And I'm thinking of trying to DM a game session or in the very least, generate a character there and hop into my friend's EoTE campaign.

I'm curious if anyone else is getting into the system for the first time with this book. I own RPG books but this is the first time I'm thinking of finally participating in one and actually using the system. I'm not sure if I'm the ideal audience for this, since I won't be stressing the engine, but I feel in the least I could offer feedback in areas from a beginner's perspective.

This book isn't the book that introduced me to the system, but the Edge of the Empire Beginner's Box was the one. I've run the Edge of the Empire Beginner's Box for a few groups now and I just simply love this gaming system. I also truly enjoy the way the Beginner's Box adventure works you into the system. I've been an old grognard gamer since the early 80s and really enjoyed "starting from scratch", if you will.

I just got my Age of Rebellion book yesterday and will probably start running for a group in a couple weeks to start testing the content. Don't sell yourself short thinking you're not the ideal audience for testing out this system. Are you are interested in playing it? Then, you're the ideal audience. =)

Your beginner's perspective will be great feedback for the FFG team, in my opinion.

This weekend I introduced a new person to role-playing by giving this 13 year old my copy of the Beginner Game for his birthday.

I am still new to the edge of the empire game set. haven't seen what Age of Rebellion is like yet.

AoR is almost exactly the same as EtoE, mechanically speaking. The classes have a different flavor, but a soldier is a hired gun, etc...

You could even use the same adventures with minimal fluff changes.

GMing: This is the first system I have played that I have actually enjoyed running, as much as playing. It doesn’t feel like work, coming up with adventures, running the game, making characters.

As a GM of this system, one must be fluid with descriptions and ready on the fly with advantages/disadvantages. Once the players pick up the narrative of the system, they actually contribute a lot to the game. At this point, in my game, I don't deal with player advantages/disadvantages, as they come up with what happens on their rolls. I work with what they give me. It makes the game exciting to run, because you never really know what's coming, or how events are going to transpire. The only thing I do, is veto outlandish things, which most often are the players being too hard on themselves in regards to the disadvantages.

That said, if one is not thinking clearly, for the day, GMing this game can go meh, real quick. Where a D20 adventure will spell out everything and every roll for you, this game doesn't always do that, and when it does, it’s usually rather vague. As I mentioned above, fluid. A healthy love of Star Wars doesn’t hurt either.