Regenerating Enemies and Fate

By cailus2, in Talisman Rules Questions

Creatures like the Hydra in the Reaper Expansion instruct that once it is killed, you roll another die and on a 1 or 2 the creature regenerates and the battle is considered a Stand Off.

If you roll a 1 or 2, can fate be used to re-roll the Regeneration die?

Cailus said:

Creatures like the Hydra in the Reaper Expansion instruct that once it is killed, you roll another die and on a 1 or 2 the creature regenerates and the battle is considered a Stand Off.

If you roll a 1 or 2, can fate be used to re-roll the Regeneration die?

You can always use fate if your character must roll the die

We play that the opponent may roll the die for regenerating enemies.

Velhart said:

We play that the opponent may roll the die for regenerating enemies.

The card does say "you roll a die" in relation to regeneration, so I'm guessing that you are only letting another person roll the die (and thus being unable to use fate) to make things harder.

This is where I'm in disagreement: Fate IMHO should only be rolled when a die would affect YOUR character directly. So rolling for armour, the Enchantress etc, that's all fine. But using Fate on the Hydra roll? That's would be the same as using Fate to reroll an Enemy's combat die for me and that's clearly not an application of Fate.

But, if you guys play it that way, its all good! :D

You cannot pay a fate token to reroll the die to see if the Cave Troll or Hydra regenerate. It is a direct effect of the creature and not a direct effect on your character.

Ell.