Gear for ascended characters...

By Ansalagon, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

(sorry if there already is a thread about this, but i haven't been able to anything)

So we have to create some Ascended charaters, and i wonder apart from the starting package and the ascended gear, what else could a character have/ home much money would they have to spend on equipment? Is there any rules for this that i have overlooked or a way to calculate it?

In the Ascension you use Influence to equipment requisition, not Thrones.

In the Ascension you use Influence to equipment requisition, not Thrones.

True, but they would still have had Thrones that they would have bought equipment for from before they went into ascended, right? and in that case they would be allowed to keep that equipment, wouldn't they?

I think depending on the ascended career they chose they may not keep the gear. Assassains for example may get rid of their's because their superiors find them useless trinkets. But just calculate how long the acolyte has been in the Inquisition, then calculate the thrones they'd have and let them buy gear. If it's a career they can likely keep their stuff then let them.

True, but they would still have had Thrones that they would have bought equipment for from before they went into ascended, right? and in that case they would be allowed to keep that equipment, wouldn't they?

Hmm . When (if ) my current group reach the Ascension level, they will keep all their gear , but will not receive anything from what is described in the book.

If I start a new Ascension game , players will receive equipment from the book , and will have to requisit anything other with Influence.

It will be fair , in my opinion .

I'm assuming this is an existing party about to hit rank 9?

As discussed, the 'transition' is a non-trivial period of time (hence the transition package) - during which time they've been gifted with/bought/earned the starting ascension gear.

I see no reason they'd have been compelled to throw away their old stuff, which might have sentimental value, for most careers. That said, something like a Vindicere would definitely have everything they own and are (right down to tax records and fingerprints) destroyed in the process of recruitment. You're best off talking through each player with the transition package as to 'what happened'?

Certainly, if a scummer acolyte has (somehow) acquired a suit of light powered armour that might have even been crafted for them personally, then asking him to junk it in favour of a flak jacket, best quality or not, is ridiculous and blatantly wrong.

As to money...given the amount of wealth each player now has access to (see the 'Inquisitorial Funds' bit of the Influence chapter), I wouldn't get wound up about 'must spend up before I ascend'. I'd probably just quietly ignore any money they may have had up till this point - unless they've literally got thousands of thrones in their pockets. After all, over a period of X years where they're clearly not 'doing nothing', any amount of money can be absorbed by living expenses, work, resupply, medical treatment, etc.

Let's ask it a different way; what is it that the characters particularly want that they currently don't have and don't get in their starting equipment?