My General Questions to FFGs regarding DH2

By PhilOfCalth, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Dude that's just liek, your opinion or whatevder.

Dude that's just liek, your opinion or whatevder.

It should be "Like" and "Whatever" DradeFacepalm.gif

Dark Heresy does have a history of scrapping a system and starting over again. In 2007 Black Industries almost released Dark Heresy with a completely different system, apparently very similar to White Wolf's rule set. For some reason they decided to change things completely and the DH system as it is now released a year later.

Seriously? This is just hearsay or have you heard this from a more legitimate lead? Never heard of it before myself, but I always thought that the DH system should have been a more fluid one, leaning towards the narrative. Not that there is anything inherently or terribly wrong with the current d100, but as I said, they could have opted for a more story-driven system.

This makes me want to cry a bit since imho Storytelling system is one of the best out there which could have easily supported an investigation based game like DH, especially DH :(

It's a bit of hearsay, yeah. There was a regular poster here, No-1 Here I think, who mentioned that he was a playtester for the original with BI back in the day. He never said much more than that he just mentioned that there was an Ur-Dark Heresy that never saw the light of day.

Edited by khimaera

N0-1 H3r3? Yes I know of him. Well, that's a shame if you ask me but no use talking about it now, though. Here's to hoping that DH2 will be a playable amalgam of the best both Beta and Only War have to offer since, one can only assume, FFG will chose that solution.

Cheers.

Edited by yggZ

N0-1 H3r3? Yes I know of him. Well, that's a shame if you ask me but no use talking about it now, though. Here's to hoping that DH2 will be a playable amalgam of the best both Beta and Only War have to offer since, one can only assume, FFG will chose that solution.

Cheers.

I see no reason for FFG to drop the whole beta just because they want to keep things OW compatible.

I think they might drop some changes that are the very essence of the beta, thats the problem.

Which is the wound system and the AP system. Taking that out would effectively redefine a lot and destroy the beta as it was so far.

I also want those to stay.

Edited by Adeptus Ineptus

Adeptus-B over in one of the other threads had a pretty good suggestion for reconciling the OW system with the Beta wound system.

Gaunt, would you be somewhat less disappointed of FFG dropped one and not the other?

Edited by khimaera

Adeptus-B over in one of the other threads had a pretty good suggestion for reconciling the OW system with the Beta wound system.

Gaunt, would you be somewhat less disappointed of FFG dropped one and not the other?

If they made the "Reaction" you may use more flexible, like turning certain actions into being Reaction OR Half Action (players choice), then the AP system could be skipped.

I am talking about e.g. Called SHot or Aim being optionally used as Reaction in your own turn.

In the same way, if would be nice to be allowed to turn own Half Actions into Reactions --> would allow for multiple Evading like the current AP system allows.

In such a case, I think the AP system could be skipped.

As to the wound system:

I really like the narrative effects, and especially like the +5/+10 Wound/Crit Wound aspect, because:

> this is a nice way to indirectly balance "weak" weapons with "strong" weapons

> this allows the interesting current Novice/Elite/Master NPC concept

> makes Righteous Fury very interesting

> the higher possible characteristic stats, together with the risk of losing points permanently (making combat a thing to be considered carefully)

> the great new fatigue/blood loss system

Because of this reasons, I really would rather lie to keep the new wound system.

There would be needed a trait or talent though, which is kind of the enhanced version of True Grit, so tougher opponents would just get this trait/talent to indirectly use "higher hit points".

Cheers.

I see no reason for FFG to drop the whole beta just because they want to keep things OW compatible.

Agreed.

Thing is - I am very willing to test anything, if it helps.

I just hate the feeling to test features for the last 4 weeks very intensively, and then get kind of a sudden feedback that all tested features will be skiped and I just wasted my time...

Some feedback in between could have helped.

And as they now talk about "see you end of november"-style - this is not a sign of improvement here.

We will be talking round in circles the next weeks and months here...

Think how I feel having playtested it originally before it was even announced - all that work wasted <_<

Thing is - I am very willing to test anything, if it helps.

I just hate the feeling to test features for the last 4 weeks very intensively, and then get kind of a sudden feedback that all tested features will be skiped and I just wasted my time...

Some feedback in between could have helped.

And as they now talk about "see you end of november"-style - this is not a sign of improvement here.

We will be talking round in circles the next weeks and months here...

Think how I feel having playtested it originally before it was even announced - all that work wasted <_<

Taking into account how much time I invested and multiplying this with what ? x10 ? x50 ?

I can guess that really sucks - especially if you liked the new mechanics like me...

Taking into account how much time I invested and multiplying this with what ? x10 ? x50 ?

I can guess that really sucks - especially if you liked the new mechanics like me...

I wouldn't say 50x, but I put a lot of effort into it, and yea, the new mechanics needed tweaks, but I really liked them, especially since I tend to dislike hit points.

I think it really is just the step to get used to the changes - it needs some time - but i general the changes were great.

And of course, more people will reject it at first, if more things are changed.

If everthing would be exactly as in OW, probably people just dont care enough to raise their voices.

If they buy the alomst same ruleset again is another question of course...

It would be really sad, if the great new ideas get skipped and 2 steps backward will be taken.

I am rather pessimistic towards end of november...