Ok, I want to get in. What do I need?

By khadorstrong, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Alright, Ive decided to make the plunge and get Game of Thrones LCG.
What do I need to be able to play Lannisters or the Martells decently. I don't mean to take on a world champion and win, BUT be able to play and not get face rolled in tourney situations?
I'm guessing LotR/PotS for one, a basic starter set, but 2? Also any specific chapter packs that would be good to pick up?

Edited by khadorstrong

If you are playing Lanni, then you'll want to get 3 Starter sets. Having 3 golden tooth mines is invaluable.

Just get Martell's box, and then you only need one core. You'll still need the other boxes for some key cards scattered throughout, but at least you could pick and choose the cycle packs.

I saw the Martells did well at Gen Con, are they one of the better Families now?

Martell has never been bad.

I should ask, which is the easiest family to get in with price wise?

Truly competitive decks include cards from a wide range of chapter packs, so there is really no quick and easy way to build the best deck for a given house.

As others have said, 3 core sets is a necessity, and then get the deluxe expansions and chapter packs as you can. In the end, if you enjoy the game, you are going to want to have everything. So, go into it with the mindset that you are eventually going to need it all.

I suppose its not THAT bad in the long run. Buying maybe 1 a week or so.

You just have to budget for it. Every time you're about to buy a case of beer, think to yourself, "That's a pack of cards or two." Or every time you go out to eat on a date, say to yourself, "That's a deluxe box." Who really needs food or dates?

NOT ME. Ive had my share of that. However Ive had 2 kids out of that as well :P

This thread may be a little to general for what you're asking, but I figured I'd link it as no one has yet.

As you'll see in the thread linked above, the best way to get your feet wet is to play online first. Copy a few winning decklists, play with them on OCTGN, see what cards/themes/strategies you like, make adjustments, THEN start actually buying cards.