Gauss weapons

By Ansalagon, in Deathwatch House Rules

So... I was taking a look at Necron weapons... So i am currently looking at gauss weapons.

So here are the rules (from The Outer Reach):

- Gauss weapons inflict righteous fury on a 9 or 10

- these rules goes for NPC that normally can't inflict righteous fury..

- NPCs that CAN inflict righteous fury automaticly does so

- The GM can rule that these do not apply to hordes (thank the Emperor for that)

Now here are the things i am considering adding:

- Gauss weapons do 1 damage to cover even if the damage rolled was not high enough to normally damage it

- If the damage was high enough to damage th cover, it does 1d10 damage to it.

and this special rule i am considering (only as a special event as i would be a nightmare is a largescale battles)

- every time a player takes damage from gauss weapons, he his armor value is reduced by one

Thoughts and feedback would be most welcome :)

Edited by Ansalagon

There are rules for Gauss weapons in "The Outer Reach"

There are rules for Gauss weapons in "The Outer Reach"

Yes i mention those, i will just change the post to make it clear ^^'

But i didn't think they were good enough, in regards to cover... Since they are described as eating their through cover at a VERY fast rate...

I'm sorry. It was late, I was very sleepy, and I thought I could quickly help... Fail!

I'm sorry. It was late, I was very sleepy, and I thought I could quickly help... Fail!

No worries, i didn't state it explicit till this morning, besides i have made MUCH worse screw-up when i have been tired XD

For some reason, Immortals' weapons do less average damage than Warriors' do.

That drives me crazy.

(At least the ones in Black Crusade do -- I think the DW ones use the same stats.)

Edited by bogi_khaosa

That drives me crazy.

(At least the ones in Black Crusade do -- I think the DW ones use the same stats.)

I haven't read on Black Crusade... but here are the stats from DW

Gauss flayer

type: Basic

range: 100m

RoF: 1/2/0

dam: 1d10+8

Pen: 5

special: gauss

Gauss blaster

Type: basic

range: 200m

RoF: 1/4/-

dam: 2d10+5 E

special: Gauss

Average damage here will be higher here for the blaster, rather than flayer.. As well as higher RoF, greater change of RF and longer reach ^^

Edited by Ansalagon

From BC Book (P369-370)

That drives me crazy.

Gauss flayer

Gauss blaster

Average damage here will be higher here for the blaster, rather than flayer.. As well as higher RoF, greater change of RF and longer reach ^^

Gauss Flayer (Basic; 100m; 1d10+8 E; Pen 3; S/2/—; Clip —; Reload —; Gauss),

Guass* Blaster (100m, 2d10 E, Pen 5, S/4/—, Gauss)

*Yes they did spell it wrong in the book

So slightly lower but then to be fair you have regular humans in BC and so you need them to be a bit weaker to avoid instantly vaporising your entire party!

Edited by Calgor Grim

From BC Book (P369-370)

That drives me crazy.

Gauss flayer

Gauss blaster

Gauss Flayer (Basic; 100m; 1d10+8 E; Pen 3; S/2/—; Clip —; Reload —; Gauss),

Guass* Blaster (100m, 2d10 E, Pen 5, S/4/—, Gauss)

*Yes they did spell it wrong in the book

So slightly lower but then to be fair you have regular humans in BC and so you need them to be a bit weaker to avoid instantly vaporising your entire party!

You serious? 2d10 damage.... Thats 2-20 damage range.. that enough to shoot a unarmored guardsman and still not damage him (if you are really unlucky) D: granted the there is greater chance of righteous fury (assuming that the rules for Gauss are the same), so if you are really unlucky, your Marine can become paste in a single hit... but still the chance humiliation is too high XD

That's actually a much higher chance to score Righteous Fury, due to scoring Righteous Fury on either a 9 or a 10. Additional dice is amazing in that regard. The fact that it auto-confirms the Righteous Fury is also.. so insane.

On the other hand, just as you say, you might just aswell just score 2 damage if you're unlucky.

On a related note, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing Gauss-weapons from jamming, which is.. odd.

I'd consider adding Proven (2) to all Basic Gauss-weapons, and Proven (3) to all Heavy Gauss-weapons.

Do note, however, that a Gauss Blaster has Semi-Auto 4, while the Gauss-Flayer has Semi-Auto 2. This might make a huge difference in actual combat.

Since the weapon has no physical clip or projectile to fire, I don't really see how it could jam either. Instead it's more likely to just spark out or fail (damaged capacitors, emitters, dodgy connection etc) and would probably work the same way as a weapon jam.

Also not sure on the proven quality. Not every shot that hits is always fatal or going to hurt. Those times when the shot does a 1 is those lucky moments where it perhaps hasnt hit you square on or the power level of the gun wasn't high enough on hit.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Since the weapon has no physical clip or projectile to fire, I don't really see how it could jam either. Instead it's more likely to just spark out or fail (damaged capacitors, emitters, dodgy connection etc) and would probably work the same way as a weapon jam.

Also not sure on the proven quality. Not every shot that hits is always fatal or going to hurt. Those times when the shot does a 1 is those lucky moments where it perhaps hasnt hit you square on or the power level of the gun wasn't high enough on hit.

That argument could be made for any weapon with the Proven quality, though. The point is that whenever a Proven weapon hits, it hurts, no matter where or how it hit. If Plasma weapons qualify (and correct me if I'm wrong, but all BC/OW Plasma Weapons are Proven, no? Or am I mixing the weapon types up?), then certainly Gauss should.

I mean, Gauss demolecularizes whatever it hits, essentially stripping away armour and flesh layer by layer. Fluffwise, even if that just hits your pinkie, that finger is just gone. Just gone.

Not a single Proven Plasma weapons in BC/OW. Sorry :(

Only Proven weapons MP Lascannon & Krak Missile (OW) plus Lightning Claws & Bedlam Staff (BC)

"Fluffwise, even if that just hits your pinkie, that finger is just gone. Just gone."

Like Ciaphas Cain noticed that few of his fingers were missing. Although he didn't notice it , if remembering correctly, until some one pointed it to him, Jurgen possibly.

Edited by Routa-maa

This is the wonderful thing of Necron stuff, nobody knows since the Imperium cant get hold of any to check :)

I would presume that since its just an energy discharge, it can vary in strength quite a bit. I think of it like jamming a finger in a plug socket. Some people can die from it and others cant. Other weapons though like ones with Proven are guaranteed to be nasty, like playing with overhead wires which is proven to be lethal.

I mean, Gauss demolecularizes whatever it hits, essentially stripping away armour and flesh layer by layer. Fluffwise, even if that just hits your pinkie, that finger is just gone. Just gone.

Unlike, y'know, hitting a finger with a hundred-calibre bolt round? ;) At least (see the Caine example) losing an extremety to gauss fire is fairly surgical and doesn't turn the limb to ragged meat with blunt force trauma.

Plasma weapons are Volatile (autoconfirming Righteous Fury). If anything, it's the reverse of Proven - since weapons which rely for a big part of their damage on Righteous Fury have a much wider damage range. Also, the Gauss rule already effectviely includes Volatile.

Now here are the things i am considering adding:

- Gauss weapons do 1 damage to cover even if the damage rolled was not high enough to normally damage it

- If the damage was high enough to damage th cover, it does 1d10 damage to it.

The first one seems fine, and perfectly characterful. Attritional damage building up quickly is very gauss.

1D10 damage to cover, on the other hand, seems really harsh. Yes, the gauss flayer weapon is powerful but it's raw damage capability is about the same as a bolter's mass-reactive round. It shouldn't be able to erase entire aegis line barricade sections in a single hit.

Reducing a player's armour? Maybe. It certainly makes sense; as the way a gauss weapon works it logically must 'abrade' a neat hole in armour before starting on the meat beneath it; unlike an armour-piercing bolt round or las-blast, you'd never see a more-or-less intact suit of armour with a burnt/shreddded corpse inside it.

Obviously only drop the armour on the specific location that was hit, though, and only if damage reached the marine underneath, or that'll get really stupid really fast. I doubt the players would appreciate seeing their blessed, unique, relic armour vapourised in the first turn of combat!

Edited by Magnus Grendel