Favorite Characters - Tatics?

By SaveVs, in Battlestar Galactica

When I can, I ususally play Boomer or Helo. I know them, I like them, and I'm comfortable with them.

If I'm Helo, I got that piloting just in case. I got rerolls for the Armory. If I'm brigged, I got my OPG ability to barter for my release. I can XO and Scout as needed. If I'm a Cylon, I use all that to bargain or convince my way out of situations. If someone else is playing Helo, I'm looking out for stuff like this ("We pulled 3 CAC's in a row! Why didn't you jump us early again?"). If I"m a Cylon and someone else is playing Helo, I'm going to try and get him to use his abilities in my favor.

If I'm Boomer, I'm milling the crisis deck for jumps (technically not milling, but you know what I mean). I got blue if our support guy is busy doing something else. I'm scouting to keep the admiral honest. I'm going to get brigged, so I save my OPG as a bargaining chip. If I'm a Cylon, I play the victim: you already don't trust me because I'm in the brig, I don't have green so I can't XO (it's not my fault! ;) ), and I'm kind of already at a handicap and still being a better human than most (at least it should look that way). If someone else is Boomer, I suspect them if they're not an overachiever and if I'm a Cylon and someone else is Boomer, then I got a patsy. :-)

What do you do?

I like playing Ellen and building a personal power base, yellow is usually mined *hard* for political prowess, gren then mined for SoE. I may tuck away a reckless card and see if people lose count of a few treachery.

depending how the game is going I may use SoE pre sleeper. If I stay human I continue to mine and distribute useful cards like crazy, XOs to characters with little green, major victories to the admiral and president, also not afraid to XO the pres early and build a healthy quorum hand. Keeping SoE and PP in human hands is a definite boon.

If I turn or started as a cylon a post sleeper SoE + prowess / arrest orders to unleash on the unsuspecting humans and get all cylons jumping out with a free reveal is usually pretty devastating

Edited by JasX

If I start the game as anyone who draws Politics then I start with three Politics cards and encourage everyone else to go for three as well, getting a Support the People on the first Crisis gives the Humans a great start.

If I start the game as anyone who draws Politics then I start with three Politics cards and encourage everyone else to go for three as well, getting a Support the People on the first Crisis gives the Humans a great start.

yes but there are very few characters who can start the game with 3 politics cards (just Tory and Roslin I think)

it's not a free 'draw three skill cards' affair at the start of the game it's a very specific

"8. Receive Skills: Each player, except the starting player,

draws a total of three Skill Cards from among any of the

cards he can draw during his Receive Skills step (see

“Receive Skills Step” on page 9). The starting player does

not receive Skill Cards now, but will draw Skill Cards at the

start of his turn."

So if you don;t normallly get access to 3 yellow cards during your recieve skills steps you can;t start the game with them.

(obviously other game mechanics that let you 'draw skill cards' are uncapped by these numbers)

My favourite character is one that I haven't played for a long time. So each time I play, this changes.

I just like to change it up as much as I can, to get a more varied experience.

As for tactics: I have tried many. I've stayed hidden as a cylon the whole game, and I have tried to reveal on my first turn. As a human I have tried to find the cylons as fast as possible (and waste resources for it) so that they could be executed/brigged and I have tried to ignore cylons and just invest all my resources into getting as far as possible as fast as possible so that the cylons have less time to do harm.

All of them were fun to try.

I have had most fun playing as Gaius (core).
I'm president roughly 50% of the time, depending on other character choices (Roslin often gets picked, who trumps me in the succession line). When i AM president a i sit on Colonial One harvesting Quorum cards so that on any turn i can react to resource losses or get rid of cylon boarding parties etc. If i'm a cylon then i convince the other players to make sacrifices of resource, bringing them into the red across the board and then letting the crisis cards finish off resources.

If i'm not president then i offer my services as a Blue card drawer to keep ships fixed up and hang around on Galactica so i can move civvie ships etc.

Either way i use my OPG to check loyalty cards of either a suspicious character early on (pilot whose not spending all their time in space or sick bay, officers who aren't XOing a lot, politicians who aren't using quorum cards or Investigative committees (the one where skill checks are public)... in this way i can then turn round and accuse them of being a cylon regardless of whether i am and cause everyone to panic.
Im really looking forwards to getting my hands on Daybreak and being able to play religious cult leader Gaius as he's my fav character throughout the TV series.

I like to play as Roslin. I start as president and if I'm a cylon I can look at 2 crisis cards and play the worst. I have to watch out for any ambushes though and can be obvious that I'm a cylon unless I can convince everyone that both is. If I'm put in the brig I can use my politics to get me out.

I like any Pilot.

Just going out there in the dark and let President and Admiral playing with their... sausage's size ;)

Edited by Koma76

I like to choose Gaius Baltar from the base game. Each time I draw a crisis card, I stand up and hump the air a few times. Then I get to pick my fifth skill card from any color I want. So no matter what the crisis is, I can always contribute something.

I haven't had a lot of experience playing. Most games I had been forced into pilot roles. Of the pilots, I prefer Kat.

Now that I have the game for myself, I am reading up on other roles and expanding my experience. My favourite so far is Tory Foster. I like to get stuff when I do stuff.

I am excited to try Admiral Cain for some epic blind-jumpage and Ellen Tigh for card cycling and hat switchery.

I recently played a game as Tory with someone else as Roslyn (at a convention). Laura is not useful as a quorum card user, and when I wanted to be president so I could do so, everyone freaked out that I must be a cylon trying to steal power. I am used to "experienced" groups knowing what needs to be done to use the strength of each character. (I even offered to let ANYONE other than Roslyn be the president if they would cycle through quorums).

I should have spend more time talking about it before getting loyalty cards. (I could have also done more to avoid having those two selected same game) thus I could have done better in the situation as well.

Sadly when I finally was president, and getting tons of cards for checks (and eveyone "got" my reasoning).... we jumped, sleeper, cylon hand off to me... and I am Cylon. And everyone trusted me (cause my strategy was sound it turned out but now I am skinjob) and I (had to mis-) use that trust to do bad bad things (and I actually did feel bad).

"Is Tory to powerful" I think is an old thread... haha

Which is funny because BoardGameGeek has an entire discussion about how lame and weak Tory is. Her ability is top notch as Prez or with a Quorum using Prez but as you experienced in your anecdote above, she's completely useless if the Prez is not going to play the cards.