Anyone paint their minis?

By Luftwaffe Flak, in Tide of Iron

Anyone decide to paint their minis for this game? I would love to see them!

This is another one that is on the "to do list" but between it and the expansion (with another on the way) it looks a bit daunting. Also I am kinda nitpicky being that it is WWII based that I get the colours right on not only the troops but the vehicles.

It's on my to do list but it is alot of figures and I think Battlelore figures take first priority. For the TOI figures I think I'm just going to do skin tone, black boots, brown rifle. Leave all the rest the bare green/grey plastic. Then give it a good wash of dark minwax floor polish all over. I think that will achive the best ratio of result to effort for me. I'm not gonna spend that much more time on them. If i had that much time, I'd still be playing miniatures games!

Hopefully, I'll get in some test figures over the long weekend.

im a pretty lazy person and a horrible painter too so im not gonna do it sad.gif

evilgit said:

It's on my to do list but it is alot of figures and I think Battlelore figures take first priority. For the TOI figures I think I'm just going to do skin tone, black boots, brown rifle. Leave all the rest the bare green/grey plastic. Then give it a good wash of dark minwax floor polish all over. I think that will achive the best ratio of result to effort for me. I'm not gonna spend that much more time on them. If i had that much time, I'd still be playing miniatures games!

Hopefully, I'll get in some test figures over the long weekend.

Hi!

I have never heard of a minwax floor polish wash..is that something akin to an ink wash?

Thanks.

thehuntercat said:

Hi!

I have never heard of a minwax floor polish wash..is that something akin to an ink wash?

Thanks.

Same idea. It's thicker and colors the nooks and crannies more without darkening the highlights very much. It also is supposed to act as a bit of a protective coating.

Never actually done it before but I have seen figures and it looks pretty good. No way I'm doing a full paint job on them.

I've seriously considered painting the TOI figures. I find the number daunting. However, I do have plans to create 3D-terrain/4"hex-boards with "real" terrain.

I have long wanted to 'wash' the minis, to make them look more like the ones in the rulebook, but paint them. Probably never, it would look awesome but they are already great and detail would be hard to get good. I would prefer to finish off my doom minis or my descent ones.

One thing I like about this game is it gives me a feel of playing with my old army men, but having rules now, so i would not be painting the figs, but i would liek to see some of the paint jobs people have once they od them (or if they have done them).

I am seriously considering giving the vehicles a limited paint job, but the infantry figures seem like it would be a lot of work with really no big payoff.

I might use a light ink wash on a couple of infantry figs.

Yeah, I would LOVE to see what other folks are doing with their figs...That would be inspiring.

Belloq said:

I've seriously considered painting the TOI figures. I find the number daunting. However, I do have plans to create 3D-terrain/4"hex-boards with "real" terrain.

I have also had this thought pass through my brainpan a few times.

I have started to paint my minies. But it is a very, very big job (which im 18,68% through...).

I dont have any pictures, but I think they are comming along fine.

If you take a look at boardgamegeek.com you'll find loads of pictures of other peoples painted minis.

Heres a link: www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22825#images

Its well worth a look, some of them are stunning!

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/240064

example of why i am leary of painting them. The tank on the right is great, butthe tank on the left is just irking me for some reason (not a knock on the painter)

I'd hate to put the time and effort in and be dissatisfied with the result.

Yep...painted all of them. It's easy and they look great...if you do it right.

I have a tutorial on tank painting on my site.

I don't like spending forever painting so I constantly find ways to make it easier.

I'll be doing a tutorial on painting infantry next.

Dude...NICE tutorial on painting the tanks.

Great job!!

very nice tutorial aplauso.gif aplauso.gif aplauso.gif

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

They really are quite easy to do as I hoped was communicated effectively in the tutorial.

Painted figs really do add to the game.

Yes, I am really interested in how you describe painting the infantry. The vehicles I am fairly confident with painting, but the infantry seems a bit daunting.

is the soft material a problem? painted tons of warhammer minis and thought bout paintig the ToI minis but i am not sure cause of the soft material.