True Romance - Han/Leia Combo Build

By GongShowHost, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

I've noticed some seem to be puzzled by or dislike the new Han, but I think they couldn't be more wrong. His stats and icons are excellent, he's Elite, and best of all, if your opponent kills him, he can fetch another copy of himself or any other Rebel card. His ability would probably be game-warpingly powerful if he could fetch any card instead of just Rebel affiliated ones, to put it simply. Abilities that search your deck for a card, or tutors, are always potent effects in card games, and Han will prove no different. He is a threat when on the board and potentially an even greater one as he hits the discard pile.With all of this in mind, I've tried to think of the best ways to make use of Han's pod and its effects to create some extremely powerful plays.and strategies and naturally my mind went to Leia.

The Princess has always been in need of an easily repeatable way to trigger her ability and that is exactly what Evacuation Procedure provides. Buried Outpost works in a pinch, but its real value is in being the BEST resource generating enhancement in the game. Not only is it decidedly not Limited, worst case scenario, it comes into play "tapped". So? You have to pay to play Hidden Outpost, and they don't even provide affiliated resources! Best case scenario? It helps trigger some sort of Leia insanity. Han, Leia, and their pods are a match made in heaven, so how can we make the most of them? Here's just one deck I've come up with so far

Draw Their Fire x1

Decoy at Dantooine x1

Fleeing the Empire x2

​Evacuation Procedure x2
Escape from Ord Mantell x2

Renegade Squadron Mobilization x2

This deck has four repeatable ways to rescue the Princess, two ways to search for her, and eight that can trigger her ability without your opponent's help. I took a kind of "toolbox" approach with the single pods as Han's ability can allow me to grab any of these situationally great cards like Heroic Sacrifice that I'm only playing one of. I can see the count of the rescue pods fluctuating with playtesting, but I always start with the most consistent and basic builds before really testing their limits. This deck can take some time to setup, which makes Decoy a solid choice with its tricks to slow the game down and Wookiee Navigator has always been a great card to pair with Leia. I can also easily see an "Asteroid Romance" variation that adds the Falcon for some more muscle and its synergy with the Leia rescue engine.

Edited by GongShowHost

Playtesting has yielded Escape From Ord Mantell is probably overkill and not worth it unless I hit Leia, so I've swapped both copies for Asteroid Sanctuary which seems to work way better. I'm also starting to think Decoy may not be as effective as hitting my opponent more quickly so I'm trying the Rebel Fleet in its place. Repair Droid works really well with Renegade Squadron and we all know how much Home One rules.