Species Diversity (or the Rebellion is not very cunning)

By AFrede, in General Discussion

Just thought it was strange that three of the six alien species have a base attribute of 1 cunning (excluding droids). If people are interested in playing a type of character that focuses on this attribute they are extremely limited in their choice of race.

I know there is another book, and other resources out there to give access to other races, but if people are playing this book as a stand alone (as we are doing in the beta) then the choices are limited.

I realize this is a small thing, but one of my players brought it up when he was creating his Diplomat/Agitator and so i figured it was worth mentioning.

I think the easiest fix is probably giving the Sullustaan's 1 in Presence rather than Cunning, they don't really seem to be an overly charming or leadership oriented race, but thats just my 2 creds.

I'm usually the last person to stray far from published sats, but I can definitely see your argument, and you're compromise is fair. Ultimately if you are the GM and you think that's reasonable, or you can convince your GM that that's reasonable, than go for it.

Maybe someone from FFG will make a note and adjust the characteristic spread a bit.

I think the easiest fix is probably giving the Sullustaan's 1 in Presence rather than Cunning, they don't really seem to be an overly charming or leadership oriented race, but thats just my 2 creds.

I think I'd rather see the Sullustan with all base 2's and maybe an few extra XP to compensate. Not every species aside from Humans needs a 3 and a 1.

Do the Bothans not have a 3 cunning?

I think the easiest fix is probably giving the Sullustaan's 1 in Presence rather than Cunning, they don't really seem to be an overly charming or leadership oriented race, but that's just my 2 creds.

I think I'd rather see the Sullustan with all base 2's and maybe an few extra XP to compensate. Not every species aside from Humans needs a 3 and a 1.

This was my thought as well. It's kind of strange that every alien has a 3 and a 1, as if only humans can be balanced, there are many that seem well balanced. I was surprised that Twi'leks were not all 2's, they never stuck me as physically deficient in anyway and, after all, having a history of slavery where your women are forced to dance half naked doesn't scream that a species has some innate charm or charisma.

That makes sense. The only one of these guys we saw in the films was the quintessential sidekick... not even important enough to have his lines subtitled!

Plus, I remember reading in prior rpgs that Sullustans can never get lost, and they come from a hostile environment. That should equal at least average Cunning, as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by I. J. Thompson

That makes sense. The only one of these guys we saw in the films was the quintessential sidekick... not even important enough to have his lines subtitled!

Plus, I remember reading in prior rpgs that Sullustans can never get lost, and they come from a hostile environment. That should equal at least average Cunning, as far as I'm concerned!

Unless I missed (another) revised version, Chewbacca's lines were never subtitled either. I guess he just wasn't important enough, right?

Oops, forgot 'ol Chewie. Does that get me on your ignore list? :D

Oops, forgot 'ol Chewie. Does that get me on your ignore list? :D

No. I reserve that for those that make repeated efforts to not get along with me or others (or, in ErikB's case, for consistently preachy rants).

However, that reminds me - I've had a few posters on there for more than a month. It's time for me clear them out and see if I find their posts more pleasant.

Edited by HappyDaze

Unless I missed (another) revised version, Chewbacca's lines were never subtitled either. I guess he just wasn't important enough, right?

Actually, I always felt it made things more entertaining when a character's lines weren't subtitled, enabling us the viewers to imagine what the person was saying.

For instance, a lot of folks (self included) imagine Artoo to have one heck of a potty-mouth, Chewie to be a deadpan snarker, and Nien Nunb...

Well, I'll let this speak for itself:

(some profanity involved)

They didn't subtitle the droids either...

They didn't subtitle the droids either...

Curses! I shoulda known you guys would be Star Wars trivia gurus. But my second point still stands! :D

Well if they had more cunning they wouldn't fall into so many traps. Where's the fun in that.