Cash rewards

By twak2, in Game Masters

Hi all,

I'm starting up my first edge campaign this weekend. I've been a player thru the beginner set, but that's my only exposure to the system. I have been thru the rules and am confident that I can fudge my way thru the first few sessions ok.

What I am not clear on is how many credits is a reasonable reward for completing missions/jobs.

Credits look to be a major factor in char/group development being used for gear and ship upgrades so I don't want to be too stingy with them, but giving out too many is like to cause problems.

Any advice/guidelines would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Twak

I would say a short adventure should probably give them enough for most characters to get a small upgrade in their equipment, especially if they saved a good number of starting credits. So probably a few hundred credits for each character. You might try to come up with several adventure outlines at once, so if they really want to go high-risk, high-reward, they can try it. Of course, that's when you get to be mean with no remorse.

Gear is fluid in this system. You can give them several thousand credits per adventure but feel free to sunder items, have them confiscated etc.

Also you can throw in docking fees, refueling costs etc. which add up over time. Obligation is a good way to sink credits and you can give them rewards that are not always cash. Finally if you think they're over accumulating credits then use something like my ship repair rules (see sig)

Thanks for the thoughts people (beings?)!

Anyone got any 'live' examples of jobs their party have taken on and what you rewarded them with?

Give ample rewards, there is always something that can go wrong, be upgraded, face a bigger more epic threat.

Generally I would say 500 cr absolute minimum per character per 4-5 hour session.

Part of the fun of RPG is really customizing your character, which means having ability to purchase upgrades in some fashion.

For my first scenario I gave each PC about 1,500 credits - that includes money they stole during the adventure that wasn't part of their contract.

Generally I would say 500 cr absolute minimum per character per 4-5 hour session.

Anywhere between 50-150cr per hour feels right, but don't award per session. They get XP every session, allow credits to be the traditional pay off at the end of an adventure arc. If you want to add a twist then you could drop a credit bomb in the middle of an arc and/or at the end.

My character accidently got a huge amount of credits for fighting in an arena fight. I started with 8:1 odds and bet 200 credits on myself to win. Well my character being a melee monster won. Then I had the option to let it ride with 4:1, then 3:1, each fight increased the difficulty but 5 Br and 2 Melee takes you a long way. They asked if I would do one more fight at 3:1 odds but I declined. They upped the odds to 4:1 and told me it was against a rancor. I couldn’t resist and agreed. The first round was a draw and thus doubled the odds. I flipped a destiny point and rolled again barely succeeding but broke both arms from the Despair and Threat I rolled. So, after an extended rest in a bacta tank , now my character is swimming in credits and I have no idea what to spend them on.

Just to show how bad it got: 200 credits

8:1 - 1,600

4:1 - 6,400

3:1 - 19,200

4:1 - 76,800

2:1 - 153,600

My character accidently got a huge amount of credits for fighting in an arena fight. I started with 8:1 odds and bet 200 credits on myself to win. Well my character being a melee monster won. Then I had the option to let it ride with 4:1, then 3:1, each fight increased the difficulty but 5 Br and 2 Melee takes you a long way. They asked if I would do one more fight at 3:1 odds but I declined. They upped the odds to 4:1 and told me it was against a rancor. I couldn’t resist and agreed. The first round was a draw and thus doubled the odds. I flipped a destiny point and rolled again barely succeeding but broke both arms from the Despair and Threat I rolled. So, after an extended rest in a bacta tank , now my character is swimming in credits and I have no idea what to spend them on.

Just to show how bad it got: 200 credits

8:1 - 1,600

4:1 - 6,400

3:1 - 19,200

4:1 - 76,800

2:1 - 153,600

Your math is a bit off. When you have 8:1 odds, it's not simply multiply your risk by your odds. At 8:1 odds you would have won 1800 credits (1600 plus your original bet back.) Extrapolate from there and you actually have more money. :)

In our second episode (adventure) The characters needed to raise money to overhaul the ship they had stolen in the first episode.

They were offered 2,000 in credits and jewellery to kill the gang who had killed a lady's husband.

A father paid them 3,000 credits to "rescue" his son from the swoop gang he had joined against the family's wishes.

They earned 20,000 credits from gambling/cheating on a droid battle arena.

They looted the thugs the crime lord had sent to collect debt one character owned and got 80 credits in pocket change then the party's scoundrel negotiated a good price for the looted weapons and got 1,500 credits.

By the end of the episode they had spent nearly all of this.

In episode 3, which we are in the middle of, they tried to use information they found in the last episode to blackmail the manager of a nightclub owned by the crime lord. They found he was fiddling the accounts and tried to take him for 15,000 credits. They set that amount themselves, one character thought it wasn't enough the others thought it was as much as they could get away with.

Edited by DoctorWhat

It will likely also depend on how well known they are. If they are like Han Solo, bigger jobs, bigger paychecks.

If they are no-name people, maybe a simple "my wife is cheating, follow her and find out, and if she is -- kill the guy." sort of thing. Not too glamourous but pays ok.