Acquisition question

By Derbius, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Can you please tell me if it is possible for a Black Crusade character to obtain two different pieces of equipment, each of which being the same item (e.g. power sword), and avoid the negative modifier for the amount of items during character creation?
For example, my character has a 20 Infamy. It is possible for me to obtain 2 pieces of equipment. I want to get a power sword as the first piece and a power sword as the second piece. Can I do it? Or is it required to obtain both swords as a single piece of equipment with the rarity modified by the minor amount of items?

You can use either technique, either get 1 power sword with each of your 2 acquisitions or use 1 acquisition to get the 2 power swords at once.

Since you need the availability to be rare it makes most sense to use both your acquisitions for 1 sword each unless you wanted to get downgrades for each of your weapons, which I imagine you don't really want to do.

Either or, really. Going for single items allows for a slight increase in quality, but wastes your free acquisitions which could be spent on far more useful items.

There is no rule regarding the acquisitions and whether or not they need to be compounded. Do what you want, that's the lesson here and in Black Crusade in general: Do what you want.

Thank you, guys.

The Heretic can select a number of pieces of gear, each piece with a total Acquisition modifier of –10 (see page 306). The number of pieces of gear available at this stage is equal to the Heretic’s current Infamy bonus.

Emphasis mine. I read that as you can use both your Acq. (2 from having infamy 20) to get the swords, but you will have to use one Acq. on each blade.

Until you get to the example that illustrates a test made to acquire both single and multiple items. In which case, see above. :)

Edited by Keffisch