Are grenades currently feeling sexy ?

By GauntZero, in Game Mechanics

Just interested what you think.

I would love to have some optional timer mechanism to get people out of their cover, instead of just exploding on impact.

I also wonder why there is no effect in narrow spaces (chunky salsa effect).

Furthermore all targets in the blast-area are effecte din the same way ?

Isnt it somehow better to be 3m from the center than directly in the center ?

Just some questions that came up my mind...

Most of ideas, while they would be cool, do increase rules bloat pretty significantly, which could be seen as detrimental. A timer is something I'm especially wary of, because it's one more thing to track on the tabletop.

But somehow cool.

What if an enemy throws a grenade into your cover - you do not know what kind of.

Do you run into the overwatch or stay in hope it wont be too bad ?

Will you maybe try to throw it back ?

I definitely agree it'd be a great addition, tactics wise, I'm just not totally sure if the benefits outweigh the negatives.

As an optional rule it would not have to be used if player thought it would be too complex.

But as a know my players, they'd love to play with a mechanism like this.

Also closed rooms can be a death-trap when a grenade detonates there, as the damage would be much higher.

The one thing I actually like about the new blast rules in general is that they basically function like other attacks but simply applied to everyone within the blast radius.

The old system from DH1 was perhaps more realistic given the increased ease of dodging when you were farther away from the center of the blast, but it resulted in large blast attacks being impossible to dodge which given a suitably narrative description of diving away, shielding yourself, or even the presence of potential cover didn't make much sense, and in terms of game balance was outright problematic.

The unified attack mechanic is rules efficient, balanced, and does not slow combat. When considering those advantages in comparison to the increased depth offered by additional rules I am pretty happy with the current DH2 AoE rules, whether it be for spray or blast weapons of any type.

The one thing I actually like about the new blast rules in general is that they basically function like other attacks but simply applied to everyone within the blast radius.

The old system from DH1 was perhaps more realistic given the increased ease of dodging when you were farther away from the center of the blast, but it resulted in large blast attacks being impossible to dodge which given a suitably narrative description of diving away, shielding yourself, or even the presence of potential cover didn't make much sense, and in terms of game balance was outright problematic.

The unified attack mechanic is rules efficient, balanced, and does not slow combat. When considering those advantages in comparison to the increased depth offered by additional rules I am pretty happy with the current DH2 AoE rules, whether it be for spray or blast weapons of any type.

Agreed. The fuse on a typical grenade is short enough to cause an explosion within the round in which the pin is pulled, so I think the current rules cover most uses of grenades.

Fun examples of house rules could be:

Grenades explodes on same initiative-roll next turn, leaving you with the will I make it feel. One could of course argue that the evade-roll vs grenades somehow represents timing.

On the Issue of different damage depending on how close the targets are a frag could work like this: Blast 3: within 1m 3d10, within 2m 2d10 within 3m 1d10. This of course means more clutter in combat and would be a matter of taste, speed vs realism.

A turn is 10 seconds, yes? And a typical grenade fuse is 5 seconds?

So I'd say a grenade blows during the turn it's thrown unless you do a tech use (demolitions) test to rig the fuse longer.

But could you make it explode later than in your own turn - for the sake of getting out enemies of their cover ?

Can a grenade even be thrown back if agile and fast enough ?

I'd say you can delay the fuse with a Tech Use (Demolitions) test (Challenging, perhaps?). That should allow for the grenade to be snatched up and thrown back, if the enemy can do it before your new, longer fuse burns out.

What about the following new weapon trait for grenades an such:

Delay (X): can be set to detonate delayed. On the end of each players turn after the turn in which it was thrown OR if any player tries to pick up the grenade, 1d10 is rolled. On a value of X and higher, it goes off - if it does not go off, decrease X by 1. X may be chosen when the grenade is thrown.

I still dont know why, as a player, I would want to requisition grenades over a better weapon as my use of influence.

I still dont know why, as a player, I would want to requisition grenades over a better weapon as my use of influence.

Yeah, I would say a RT style replenishing supply (once acquired as normal) would fix this. That is basically what the demo kit is already.

Yeah, I would say a RT style replenishing supply (once acquired as normal) would fix this. That is basically what the demo kit is already.

I think this goes for most of the single use items in general.

Then again I'm not a fan of the requisition system so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

One more thing - a short view on some grenades that seem a little improvable:

> Krak: doesnt krak enough in my oppinion - a higher Pen would be nice

> Stun: too weak for iths rare availability

> there is missing a gas grenade with an effect to inflict fatigue on targets. Would be a good thing for an Arbites SWAT team; something with lingering tear gas would be cool, maybe inflicting fatigue and making targets dazed if they fail a toughness throw --> if you do not leave the area of effect, where the cloud stays for a while, you have to resist again every turn..

On the concept of having a timer, how about allowing an evade test action to move out of the blast radius as a reaction. Perhaps working from perception as agility is already overused.

Krak could stand to have more pen.

Stun are not that rare but are very lackluster.

Gas grenades that cause fatigue, m akes sense to me. Since all stun does right now is cause dazed maybe having gas grenades do both is perhaps overstrong, but assuming changes to stun, why not.

Edited by Togath