• Bothan
  • Droid
  • Duros
  • Gran
  • Human
  • Ithorian
  • Mon Calamari
  • Sullustan

So I get new species being added, and I get that you can use almost anything from EotE if you have the book, but why are Gand, Rodian, Trandoshan, Twi'lek, and Wookie not in the the AoR book? It's not in the interest of space as AoR is 200 pages shorter than EotE, and yes I know it's Beta and a lot of background is left out that will make it a thicker book at final publishing but I'm curious as to what might have been their reasoning for what Species were included and not included.

Well, the most likely reason is that Gand, Twi'leks and Wookiees are more associated with the galactic fringe than the Rebel Alliance. In the original trilogy, the only Wookiee we saw helping out was Chewie, and he had been Han's partner in crime prior to that fateful meeting in the Mos Eisley cantina.

Again, going by those films, the only Gand we saw was an independent bounty hunter accepting a commission from Lord Vader, and the only Twi'leks we saw was a crime lord's major domo and a dancing girl (two if you count the Special Edition).

Now a similar case could be made for Duros and Ithorians, but there was also plenty of requests for those species during the EotE Beta that FFG decided to include them in AoR to answer that fan request. Sullustans were also a frequent request for including in EotE, but they have a much better tie to the Alliance courtesy of Return of the Jedi (Lando's co-pilot as well as some extras piloting Alliance starfighters that had little to no screen time that made it into the films).

I'd like to hear opinions on this Sullustan.

Sullustan start with rank 3 in agility and rank 1 in cunning. They're natural pilots so high agility make sense, but I'm curious as why they gave them low cunning rather than Brawn. (Small build).

Sullustan start with rank 3 in agility and rank 1 in cunning. They're natural pilots so high agility make sense, but I'm curious as why they gave them low cunning rather than Brawn. (Small build).

Brawn doesn't just have to do with strength. They are from a volcanic world, and they may not be "strong," but they are resilient. And cunning is more about how conniving a person is, how good they are at double talk and deception. Sullustan's don't strike me as being overly good at that in fact a little lackluster perhaps, they are more matter-of-fact in most of the EU stuff you see them in. Growing up on a harsh world has made them less about BSing their way around things.

Just my two-cents.

Brawn doesn't just have to do with strength. They are from a volcanic world, and they may not be "strong," but they are resilient. And cunning is more about how conniving a person is, how good they are at double talk and deception. Sullustan's don't strike me as being overly good at that in fact a little lackluster perhaps, they are more matter-of-fact in most of the EU stuff you see them in. Growing up on a harsh world has made them less about BSing their way around things.

Just my two-cents.

Just my two-cents.

Cunning is as much about Perception and Survival as it is about Deception and Streetwise. I think that Sullustans should have a 2 Cunning as a default.

Fair, but then what do you make 1? Or do you just give them 2 across the board as a house rule. Which to be fair I did in my edit to the Species Menagerie.

Cunning - 1. having or showing skill in achieving one's ends by deceit or evasion.

Synonyms: Crafty, wily, artful, guileful, devious, sly scheming, designing, calculating, Machiavellian, shrewd, astute, clever, canny, deceitful, deceptive, duplicitous, foxy;

I think Sullustans having 1 Cunning by default isn't much of a stretch.

Sullustans live very communal lives, and on average they tend to not think very much about their own benefit vs the benefit of his others and his group.

EDIT: They live in very large families, where one wife has multiple husbands and they all live together and sharing things with one another, and looking out for each other. The way Sullustans survive around in their harsh environment is by forming a dependable network where everybody works together, and most Sullustans never leave that network.

EDIT 2: Basically the idea is that the way Sullustans have evolved is that being Deceitful and self-serving are actually character traits that would make you an outcast in their society.

Now that's not to say that every Sullustan has 1 Cunning. All that having on 1 in Cunning means is that the average Sullustan is less cunning than the average human.

Edited by strongarm85

Cunning is part deceptiveness but also par ingenuity .

Cunning skills: Deceit, Perception, Skulduggery, Streetwise and Survival.

Yes, but specifically Sullustans tend to discourage actions of Deceit and Skullduggery because their culture is based around collectivism. By extension, most Sullustans rarely leave their home town, let alone their home planet, so on the average they wouldn't be that good at Streetwise.

Perception and Survival are both skills that are held highly by Sullustan society, but those skills are are more likely to be learned skills.

I know for the USM, Cyril stuck pretty close to the d20 versions of Sullustans (particularly the Saga Edition one), which also gave Sullustans a penalty to Strength (thus why we've got them listed with a Brawn of 1)

That said, i think strongarm85 presents a pretty good cultural reason why Sullustans as a default have a Cunning of 1.