The troll draws a spell.. yes/no/maybe

By costolaz, in Talisman Rules Questions

Let's say a Troll (craft = 1) happens to draw a spell card as result of an encounter (example: the temple). what he's supposed to do?
Do you confirm that, if craft is not enough, the spell is never drawn?
Or there are encounters that 'force' you to draw the spell, and immediately discard it for not having enough craft ?

thank you Ell,John & all the team, you're giving solid support! aplauso.gif

l would say you do not draw the card.

costolaz said:

Let's say a Troll (craft = 1) happens to draw a spell card as result of an encounter (example: the temple). what he's supposed to do?
Do you confirm that, if craft is not enough, the spell is never drawn?
Or there are encounters that 'force' you to draw the spell, and immediately discard it for not having enough craft ?

thank you Ell,John & all the team, you're giving solid support! aplauso.gif

To discard a spell you should have it before. If you don't have sufficient Craft, you may not have Spells.

You don't draw and discard a Spell; nothings happens in this case.

So it's confirmed? when a space makes you draw a spell, you draw it ONLY if you craft is enough?

costolaz said:

So it's confirmed? when a space makes you draw a spell, you draw it ONLY if you craft is enough?

Now I remember; we discussed about this in the thread "spellcycle problem" and no official answer was given.

My understanding is: you can't draw a Spell in this case, otherwise you'll be able to draw Spells every time you gain a Spell which you can't keep, and then choose a Spell to discard.

Talisman has a long time problem with being stuck with Spells: some people allow Spells to be cast for no effect, others allow gaining Spells above limit and to choose which Spells to keep, others simply don't allow to draw Spells if your Craft isn't high enough to have them.

The third solution is the most true to the rules, but rules are not explicit about "gaining Spells and discarding Spells". There's a couple of principles that should be generally applicable but aren't thoroughly explained (i.e. "the only way to get rid of Spells is to cast them").