What are sensors used for?

By EldritchFire, in Game Mechanics

Every vehicle and starship has a sensor range, but what is it used for? The Long Range description on page 172 mentions still being on " each sides' scanner systems ," so this leads me to believe that you can still detect craft at that range.

But if that is the case, what is the point of the Sensors range for vehicles? I can't find anything in the Starships and Vehicles chapter. Heck, there isn't even an entry in the index. So I ask, what is the point of sensor range? It really needs to be defined somewhere on the Vehicle Characteristics pages (pgs. 158-161).

-EF

Well, if you can scan an enemy before they get in range, you might just decide that You don't want to tangle with a fully loaded out tie bomber squadron, or that pirate ship is already weakened and you can score some gear for the rebellion. I'd also say that any hacking/spoofing options require the sensor range.

Finally a ship with long sensor range can alert allies to enemy encroachment.

My thinking is similar to Samophlange, with the addition that if a ship is outside the Sensor Range of your craft, than you can't get anything more detailed than "there's other ships out there" as well as "incoming enemy fire!"

The "Scan the Enemy" maneuver allows a the crew to learn what weapons, modifications, system strain and hull trauma a ship has.

It's worth noting that sensor range can be increased by one band by switching to active mode (See p.227 of the EotE core book.)

I could also get more use in future books. (Sensor Jammer mods, Cloaking Device mod, etc…)

At the very least, if you are jamming an enemies sensors, you have to have a greater range than them.

The "Scan the Enemy" maneuver allows a the crew to learn what weapons, modifications, system strain and hull trauma a ship has.

It's worth noting that sensor range can be increased by one band by switching to active mode (See p.227 of the EotE core book.)

I could also get more use in future books. (Sensor Jammer mods, Cloaking Device mod, etc…)

Scan the enemy, I missed that one. But can you still detect outside of sensor range? As for 227 of EoTE…that doesn't help at all. AoR is supposed to be a complete stand-alone game. Referencing EotE isn't going to cut it.

Aside from the scan the enemy action, is there anything in the AoR beta that deals with sensor range? Does it actually matter? And what about the mention of "scanner systems" in the Long Range band description?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but rather point out something missing in the beta. We are, after all, trying to point out things that need improvement/clarification. I think a lack of mentioning what the heck sensor range is used for is an omission that needs addressing.

-EF

Well, I don't think the EotE Beta had much info on what Sensor Range meant either.

The point of the Beta is to test out the new mechanics (namely talents, talent trees. and vehicle stats this time around), so the book's only going to include the minimum amount of information to test those elements. So the extra info that's not in the AoR Beta will be included in the final product, much like EotE had a whole bunch of extra information in comparison to the EotE Beta.

So what kind of difficulty would it be to detect when a ship is exiting hyperspace?

(No don't have either book on hand but figured a broader example to explain why Sensors are important was needed)

And the difficulty to detect an Imperial patrol or better yet discern between an Imperial, pirate, civilian or rebel spacecraft?

Would their transponder be the first thing picked up since usually not having that means they're either hiding or lying in wait?

Edited by copperbell

Well, I don't think the EotE Beta had much info on what Sensor Range meant either.

The point of the Beta is to test out the new mechanics (namely talents, talent trees. and vehicle stats this time around), so the book's only going to include the minimum amount of information to test those elements. So the extra info that's not in the AoR Beta will be included in the final product, much like EotE had a whole bunch of extra information in comparison to the EotE Beta.

My EotE beta is at home, so I can't check on that, either. I'm aware that more stuff will be in the final, but I figured I'd call out that there is nothing on sensor range in the book, so FFG makes sure to include it in there.

And to specifically call out the discrepancy between sensor range and the Long Range description.

-EF

double post. sorry

Edited by OB-1

My EotE beta is at home, so I can't check on that, either. I'm aware that more stuff will be in the final, but I figured I'd call out that there is nothing on sensor range in the book, so FFG makes sure to include it in there.

And to specifically call out the discrepancy between sensor range and the Long Range description.

-EF

+1

I also wish FFG could adress this issue better in AoR, if not before in Enter the Unknown.

I still stuggle with sensor rules applications and lack of examples on EotE; and I don't understand why Perception is used instead of Computers - I would think that Perception should be used to spot objects within visual range, whereas using sensors (long range or deep scan) would imply some tech aptitude, as it is done handling technology (Computer use)...

Edited by OB-1

I originally relied upon Computers for searches using electronic tools (sensors, hand scanners, data pads, etc), but with the way Surveillance was rolled into Perception/Computers in the beta I've realized trying to limit Perception to just unaided searching put too much width into Computers.

My reasoning is that searching using a sensor system is essentially searching with the relevant tool, the same if you were using binoculars or goggles, or in the same vein as using tools for other actions (you need a comlink to converse across kilometers of distance, you get a boost/penalty depending on having the right tools for a repair, etc).

Whereas Computers is for technical data-manipulation actions like programming, hacking, and making queries to databases.

I've decided a ship's scanners are less about sifting through raw numbers and command lines and more about spotting realtime blips and scaled visual representations of ranges.

I originally relied upon Computers for searches using electronic tools (sensors, hand scanners, data pads, etc), but with the way Surveillance was rolled into Perception/Computers in the beta I've realized trying to limit Perception to just unaided searching put too much width into Computers.

My reasoning is that searching using a sensor system is essentially searching with the relevant tool, the same if you were using binoculars or goggles, or in the same vein as using tools for other actions (you need a comlink to converse across kilometers of distance, you get a boost/penalty depending on having the right tools for a repair, etc).

Whereas Computers is for technical data-manipulation actions like programming, hacking, and making queries to databases.

I've decided a ship's scanners are less about sifting through raw numbers and command lines and more about spotting realtime blips and scaled visual representations of ranges.

+1

I'd say it is simply a non-roll action where a PC checks the sensor readings. No skill check, like no skill check to check if your computer has a virus. You have to simply click on antivir program a do a scan, but it takes some time. Like in the X-Wing/TIE Figher games, you were either busy fighting or reading sensor.

Reading sensors is going to use Perception. Saying that Perception is just for unaided senses and shouldn't be used for reading input from sensors ignores that Gunnery is used to target with both handheld missile tubes (with the naked eye) as well as turbolasers (through targeting systems). In both cases the person is using the same skill to do the same thing, but some actions require a tech interface between the user and the subject/target of the skill.

I'd say it is simply a non-roll action where a PC checks the sensor readings. No skill check, like no skill check to check if your computer has a virus. You have to simply click on antivir program a do a scan, but it takes some time. Like in the X-Wing/TIE Figher games, you were either busy fighting or reading sensor.

For mundane information about their surroundings sure, it's a non-check just like being told what they immediately see in their own surroundings. But if they're looking to actively hunt down something hidden or too far/small to quickly examine, then it's a Perception skill check.

Also, to further explore the example, in my experience not everyone has the skill to check whether their computer has a virus; either they're unaware of what tools they need or how to obtain/update them or it has eluded detection from their antivirus software and must be hunted down with a Computers check. It may even be starting them in the face and they think it's legitimate (having failed a Cool check, perhaps).

Can sensors only be used to scan ships? In games of old we've had the occasion where we were trying to find something on the ground. A small base hidden in the forest or some concealed ships. We'd use sensors to try and spot them.

Can sensors only be used to scan ships? In games of old we've had the occasion where we were trying to find something on the ground. A small base hidden in the forest or some concealed ships. We'd use sensors to try and spot them.

I'd say this definitely makes sense for the purview of what sensors are meant to do.

At the very least, if you are jamming an enemies sensors, you have to have a greater range than them.

No, you don't. Jamming someone's sensors just means that you are actively dumping noise signals into their system to overwhelm them so they can't figure out what is out there.

My interp has been:

Scanners: Much longer range, no details. Just "Something there at X range going direction Y"

Sensors: Allow detecting hull types and fire control locks within Sensor Range.

Sensors with a roll: Use the Scan the Enemy Action.

I'd recommend that a clarification be added.

My preferred would be a "system scale" with the same range names (much like how Close/Short/Medium/Long parallels Engaged/Short/Medium/Long)...