Concerns regarding The Plugged-in Tour

By GabrielOmega, in The Plugged-in Tour

REDACTED. POST DUE FOR DELETION.

Edited by GabrielOmega

Same here in France

It is a shame !

Edited by wormhole surfer

The fact that the tournament takes place only in USA and Canada ... Honestly I can handle it ...

The fact that probably some special promo items will be given only in that tournament .. I can handle it too ...

But the fact that I - European player - will be denied the right to vote for something that will affect the future of my favorite card game ... THAT I admit I have difficulties to accept ! :-/

There is probably nothing easier now than setting up a poll on internet !

So why not ?

Edited by MrMala

But the fact that I - European player - will be denied the right to vote for something that will affect the future of my favorite card game ... THAT I admit I have difficulties to accept ! :-/

There is probably nothing easier now than setting up a poll on internet !

So why not ?

That is precisely my problem with the tour. I love the game and would love to place my vote on the game's future. I don't care about alternate art cards, but I want to still be a part of the decision that will affect future Data Pack/Big Box Expansion releases.

Edited by Internutt

Only two events in canada, and it's on consecutive weekdays in the same city, Toronto, making it almost impossible for anyone from outside to attend. They are going to run this on evenings? I don't know what they are trying to achieve here, but maybe they should have asked or even do a contest for the tour to come to your store. I run a netrunner league, I would have liked to have at least a chance to host the tour.

I wish there was an event in Colorado. We've got a pretty active community of players here in Denver, plus others in Colorado Springs, and between I-70 and I-25 we could pull in players from surrounding states.

I was going to post my frustration at the lack of tournaments being held in QC considering the success of both regionals held here, but I didn't even consider Europe and Australia.

It trully is a shame that FFG is very US-centric in their OP program. Considering it's tremendous growth over the past 5 years, it makes no sense that it can't have European Championships or Australian Champs. It boggles the mind that these events need to be created and run by players instead of FFG.

It boggles the mind that these events need to be created and run by players instead of FFG.

It doesn't boggle my mind. FFG is a relatively small, US-based company. They don't have any offices outside their HQ. In Europe, their games are published by local game publishing companies, who are then also responsible for organized play in their respective regions. For example, the game is published in Germany by Heidelberger Spieleverlag, who are organizing the regionals (i.e. deciding which stores get to run them) and the German national championship (with direct involvement of employees of the publisher). In other countries, other companies are responsible for publishing the game and overseeing its organized play. Thus creating a European championship would have to involve a whole load of companies and their respective individual interests, i.e. an organizational nightmare.

I think that as this get's bigger and bigger they will continue to expand their tournaments and locations. I think people just need

to be patient and they will expand. FFG is a very smart company with passionate people working on this stuff. This is a new

game and has been out for only a little over a year. (look they have added a tour)

Even for someone in the US it's a pretty strange group of cities they picked. I saw the event and got excited, all for naught.

I am disappointed at the lack of Plugged-In tournaments in my area, but for the most part it isn't a big deal. The playmat and alternate art Gabriel would be nice, but just cool alternatives to things I can already use.

The part which does concern me is the ID voting. Only a small percentage of players will actually be able to make it to one of the tournaments, and I would like for everybody to get a vote. Also, I am not a big fan of one of the IDs being trashed forever. Both of them seem fun, and I would hate to see a good idea thrown away permanently.

This is a big deal. If you are going to run a tournament like this at least try to get them spread out more. Or have more of them.

Screw the people in california. They have how many tournaments?

There isn't one in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio & West Virginia.

Note that California is nearly twice the size of those 3 states combined. Los Angeles has two tournaments in one weekend. San Francisco has two tournaments in one weekend. New York City has two tournaments in one weekend. There is a pattern here. I see no reason to believe that FFG has deliberately snubbed Pittsburgh and Ohio, and I hope they get hit in the next US Tour if they have the playerbase to justify the expense.

Edited by etherial

I think that as this get's bigger and bigger they will continue to expand their tournaments and locations. I think people just need

to be patient and they will expand. FFG is a very smart company with passionate people working on this stuff. This is a new

game and has been out for only a little over a year. (look they have added a tour)

The local Vancouver Island gamers have been waiting for that for many many years for pretty much all FFG games......still waiting on the expansion of the company.

Over the years things seem to be getting worse, things delayed all the time, release dates horribly off, a general lack of availability of product. Smart and passionate employees can only do so much if things aren't being organized in a more efficient and larger manner.

FFG just needs to expand, which costs money, time, and is risky, but if they don't soon they are going to start losing some long time supporters who are getting frustrated by it.

Edited by Nathan_in_Vic

Hey guys, if you check the news section, there is going to be a European/International tour early 2014 that will be very similar to the Plugged-in tour. They haven't released any fine details, but it sounds like it will have comparable prize-support and a vote for the cards like the plugged-in tour.

Agreed - I redact my previous statement.

Thank you, FFG and your support team.

Post ready for closure.

It's great to see three new venues added to the list. but I still feel there is quite a bit of misrepresentation of the middle eastern states. We've got quite a Netrunner community here in Louisville, but none of the venues are very close. The closest is Chicago at 4.5 hours. Doable, but inconvenient for sure. I still plan on trying to get to one of these events, but it would be nice to have something a little closer. I was quite surprised when the original list was released with the relatively small list and limited venues.

I am also really disappointed about the limited selection of locations.

We have a huge following in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill, NC) that has enough gamers to simultaneously support 5 game stores, and one of these is a venue large enough to host several hundred people (they do it on the regular for magic tournaments).

I get putting extra tournaments in heavily populated areas, I really do, but why not at least give venues a chance to opt in or apply for the chance to host the event? Is there really any good reason NOT to have as many tournaments as venues buy prize kits for?

This message is on behalf of our (rather large) local gaming group. We love your game, but we feel pretty righteously snubbed right about now.

This, while funny, isn't necessarily helpful. :)

There aresome valid concerns here regarding this tournament, but I think FFG has heard them and has addressed them as best they can at this particular time. They tried to address concerns by adding some more venues to cover territory. Let us try to focus instead on helping them perfect this sort of thing for the future.

They wanted to participate in this event themselves by showing up and meeting the fans, which is fricking awesome, but that made it necessary to limit the number of venues the event is held in. This is not optimal, but let us all remember to be as constructive as we can. While this has created some disappointment in those with no good option to attend, next time FFG may be able to manage things better, and include those areas. If we respond with too much negativity and not enough constructive criticism they may just not run an event like this again, which would be a shame.

Furthermore, make sure your local stores are in contact with FFG constructively and that they are letting them know that they would like to host these sorts of events in the future. FFG likely has little way to research hotbeds of 'runner, and this sort of contact will let them know that such places exist. FFG has a far more accepting and casual regard to Organized Play then many companies. This means stores can run the sort of events they want with the kits FFG provides, which is awesome, but it also means that FFG can't track attendance and usage as easily as, say, WOTC can. I wish that there was a reporting system in place, even if for just attendance, but if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.

In closing, we have a good chance to let FFG know what we like and dislike about this structure, system, and prizes, so let us keep things constructive. Whew, sorry, that got a little long winded. :blink:

Edited by Damoel