Survey about Tactician special ability for Freedom Brigadier Sergeant

By Coral Beach, in Mutant Chronicles

Hello guys,

I start a survey about the return of Tactician special ability to the Freedom Brigadier Sergeant. By return, I intend the attribut Tactician wiritten on his card without the corresponding rules (maybe a copy paste from an old version during the beta-test step). This return would be compensated by the deleting of the corresponding SA from the Ranger Commander. You will see, below, the unofficial version of both cards after this tranfer.

I have two reasons to make this proposal :

1. I think the Ranger Commander is today overpowered in the Capitol army. This unit is the centerpiece of all Capitol player who want to play Ranger combo AND command card retrieving. This is a unit which may play a large panel of command cards, beneficiate of cumulativ damage bonuses combined with key word. Played with "Trick shot" command card, a pack of Ranger Commander may eliminate easily an ennemy unit with a card retrieving after each shot (the dice must have a low result for not such kills).
  2. The Freedom Brigadier will greatly beneficiate from this add for army balancing purposes. Other armies tacticians are silver units (with more wounds and more command icons). So the "burst fire" SA is not overpowering for this statistic weak unit (this burst fire version is only ONE ennemy adjacent unit unlike the Venusian Ranger Kapitan which may applied to SEVERAL ennemy adjacent units).

Unofficial Freedom Brigadier Sergeant with Tactician SA

Unofficial Ranger Commander without Tactician SA

What do you think about this proposal ?

Hm, canĀ“t say anything to that, because the original units look both fine and well balanced to me.

So...Tactician on the Brigadier is an artifact from beta testing, huh?

Venusian Ranger Kapitan is a gold unit so you can't really compare their burst fires...

Yes, this attribut is an artifact form beta-testing. At second though, if FFG has decided to transfer it to Ranger Commander, this has been motivated by play testing and game balancing purpose.

I've first motivated the Freedom Brigadeer Sergeant TACTICIAN recovery due to the assymetrical rules between factions. But with considering the Second Set units and the Ilian faction (without TACTICIAN but with Karak Command Tent), I reconsidered very recently my position in favor of the actual official game balancing. gui%C3%B1o.gif

For those that refuse to proxy 2nd set units...would it still be balanced for the Ranger Commander to retain Tactician instead of Brigadier?

Yes, if FFG has taken this decision, this is with First set game balance in mind. The reference to Second Set was only for assymetric consideration (Ilian won't have any TACTICIAN in its army but has the Karak Command Tent so there is no need to have a silver unit with TACTICIAN SA). Maybe, in a future FAQ, I will include an entry for Freedom Brigadier Sergeant and delete its irrelevant attribut to made things clear.