Obligations?

By yujufrazer, in Game Masters

So i got a few buddies together and where making characters and such. We get to the obligation part, which seems like all it is, is a background story. Now the book talks about them as like side quests if you will. Things that other wise get in the way of your campaign. Some of them tho seem extreme like addiction, how would i even have a player role play that one? I'm not trying to bash the game but i would really like some advice from other gms on how to have a player rock this Obligation with out it being to extreme and annoying to the other party members. Another player wanted to take Obsession, and choose his obsession to be he has to travel. I was thinking that it would but a real strain on all the other players. If i roll and his obsession comes up what do i do? None of the other players are gonna wanna stop what they are doing to go fly to another planet just cause one player wanted to. Should i just tell him no? If any one can give me some solid examples or scenarios for Obsession or Addiction that would be super awesome. Also when taking a new obligation how do you determine its value? i see the chart. Am i correct in assuming what ever the percentage is, is the value of the obligation?

Again I'm not bashing the game, I'm legitimately looking for help from other GMS

What is confusing about how you'd have a player roleplay an addiction?

It seems like they'd role play it just like any other aspect of their character. The character would be addicted to something like a spice, and they'd want to use it. They might sneak away from the main group to use the spice, or their addiction would kick in if their obligation came up in a roll before a session.

If that were the case, at the minimum they'd be experiencing strain either because of wanting the spice and not having it, or of regretting using the spice and wanting to change, or they'd be a little off-balance because they were under the influence of it.

This depends on having a roleplayer who can play a character with a bit of emotional openness, but even at its most basic level "you suffer 2 strain because you're addicted to a spice and you can't find it" is a fairly conventional mechanic in this game.

One of the most canonical examples of Obligation affecting the other players is in the Star Wars films.

If your party consisted of Han Solo, Chewbacca, Luke, Leia, Lando and the droids, your characters wouldn't want to fly to Tatooine to rescue Han from Jabba the Hutt?

That's a classic example of Obligation affecting the party in a serious way.

Even if your players are really selfish in terms of thinking each adventure must be all about them, in that adventure almost every character got a chance to shine. Leia got to be really cool and sneak into the Palace in disguise. Luke got to show off his newfound Jedi confidence and powers. Even R2D2 got to collaborate with Luke on the daring rescue, and Leia got to kill the most feared crime lord on the planet.

That seems like a pretty fun adventure for all concerned, in my opinion.

Edited by progressions

If your character with the "travel" Obsession comes up, I'd recommend having him think about it in a little more detail--WHY does he want to travel? What does he want to do at various places? Does just want to experience the Galaxy?

His ability to charm or convince the other characters (and the other players, for that matter) will determine whether the adventure is fun or if all your players resent him for derailing the game.

Also, when he travels to these places, the whole party can get into an adventure there, which presumably everybody would enjoy.

oops, double post.

Edited by progressions

What is confusing about how you'd have a player roleplay an addiction?

It seems like they'd role play it just like any other aspect of their character. The character would be addicted to something like a spice, and they'd want to use it. They might sneak away from the main group to use the spice, or their addiction would kick in if their obligation came up in a roll before a session.

If that were the case, at the minimum they'd be experiencing strain either because of wanting the spice and not having it, or of regretting using the spice and wanting to change, or they'd be a little off-balance because they were under the influence of it.

This depends on having a roleplayer who can play a character with a bit of emotional openness, but even at its most basic level "you suffer 2 strain because you're addicted to a spice and you can't find it" is a fairly conventional mechanic in this game.

One of the most canonical examples of Obligation affecting the other players is in the Star Wars films.

If your party consisted of Han Solo, Chewbacca, Luke, Leia, Lando and the droids, your characters wouldn't want to fly to Tatooine to rescue Han from Jabba the Hutt?

That's a classic example of Obligation affecting the party in a serious way.

Even if your players are really selfish in terms of thinking each adventure must be all about them, in that adventure almost every character got a chance to shine. Leia got to be really cool and sneak into the Palace in disguise. Luke got to show off his newfound Jedi confidence and powers. Even R2D2 got to collaborate with Luke on the daring rescue, and Leia got to kill the most feared crime lord on the planet.

That seems like a pretty fun adventure for all concerned, in my opinion.

Right on thats exactly the kind of example i was looking for. Thanks your post was super helpful. Also yea if my party was leia luke and lando lol and Han the NPC got captured they probably would just say **** it hes gone lol, now lets go off and do something else.

LOL :) In that case it might be a challenge :)

At least in the movies Han had earned the loyalty of the other characters in previous adventures by coming back to help Luke in the assault on the Death Star and by risking life and limb to get Leia back to the Rebellion in Empire. Maybe that would help motivate them :)