Armor

By JigDoc, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Unfortunately, I can't find anything on how the jetpack works >_<

-EF

There's been a couple of threads on this, I believe. There are rules for them in EotE.

But I'm poor, I don't have EotE! I only have the beta books and errata documents! #firstWorldProblems

-EF

-EF

There's been a couple of threads on this, I believe. There are rules for them in EotE.

But I'm poor, I don't have EotE! I only have the beta books and errata documents! #firstWorldProblems

-EF

Thay are there in the EotE beta as well. Under Jetpack page 119.

-EF

-EF

Thay are there in the EotE beta as well. Under Jetpack page 119.

Now you make me feel like a fool :P

When I get home, I'll take a look, thanks!

-EF

Funny thing is, I'm looking at this all in the context of "how would I stat dark trooper armor?" You never know, somehow your PCs might run across a Phase II suit... :P

I would look to AoR beta, page 216 for Darktrooper Armour. However, since it's an NPC, all we get is " Powered armour (+2 soak, +1 defense) " in the equipment entry. So it looks like heavy battle armour with a missile tube, plasma shell assault cannon, and a jetpack attached.

-EF

Hey EF, you could always use the Jetpack rules from EotE in the mean time (p181) :)

Edit: Doh! Spent so long on this page before posting, everyone and their mother beat me to it!

Edited by Space Monkey

And there's the possibility that stormtroopers just usually didn't get individually form-fitted armor for logistical (lies, it's more like budget) reasons, even if they were conditioned to bear the weight.

That's why they were all clones!

* Yes, I know they were not all clones.

We are kind of getting into minutea here. I understand the points on both sides. It's just a game after all. Keeping it as written (with Encumbrance rules) is still going to have some realism. For me, I wish to keep my PCs from running around in Laminate or Heavy Armor eventually, since as pointed out it loses some of the feel of Star Wars heroes if they do so. With what has been suggested above (it's costly, illegal, etc), plus a Setback die for some tasks, it helps keep the PCs out of the stuff.

Then why not just say "you can't have that" rather than trying to penalize them for wanting to wear it? One could certainly make the case that for some archetypes (bounty hunters in particular), heavy armor is pretty canonical.

We are kind of getting into minutea here. I understand the points on both sides. It's just a game after all. Keeping it as written (with Encumbrance rules) is still going to have some realism. For me, I wish to keep my PCs from running around in Laminate or Heavy Armor eventually, since as pointed out it loses some of the feel of Star Wars heroes if they do so. With what has been suggested above (it's costly, illegal, etc), plus a Setback die for some tasks, it helps keep the PCs out of the stuff.

Then why not just say "you can't have that" rather than trying to penalize them for wanting to wear it? One could certainly make the case that for some archetypes (bounty hunters in particular), heavy armor is pretty canonical.

You could do the "you can't have it" thing but you don't really need to as long as you follow the rules and guidelines. Use the Encumbrance rules as written and not all characters are going to have the Brawn score to use Heavy Armor without sacrificing carrying some other needed equipment. They can make that sacrifice if they want but make them make that choice. Use the cost and rarity rules as well, don't just let the PCs go to Any Old Armor Shoppe and Pizza Palace and buy it. Just like sticking to the Encumbrance rules they can eventually find this stuff but make them pay for it.

What I find often happens in RPGs is that these seemingly trite "Fluff" rules get glossed over or abandoned and players get used to getting anything they want regardless of the setting. Many of these rules are part of the game for a reason and changing them alters the tone and balance of play. Usually the argument "it's just a game and it supposed to be fun!" or some variation get tossed about but part of playing a RPG is having to work within the rules, otherwise whats the point of having any rules at all? It also penalizes the other players who spend the points/experience/whatever to have the stats to use/do whatever by ignoring their sacrifices to get those things.

You can of course change whatever you want but take a moment and think of how those seemingly unimportant changes will effect the game.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Use the cost and rarity rules as well, don't just let the PCs go to Any Old Armor Shoppe and Pizza Palace and buy it. Just like sticking to the Encumbrance rules they can eventually find this stuff but make them pay for it.

I second that. For me the "Heave Armor" is something what Fett or Kast wore. How many of such guys were in the galaxy? Two*. Stormtrooper Armor or similar? No problem! Ups, imperials shoot on sight :) .

*Ignoring new-EU that introduces new enemies with superb powers/armors faster than Empire new superweapons in old-EU.

Edited by NicoDavout

This thread put me in mind of the article "Outlaw Battle Armors" in the WEG Star Wars Journal #3. Also, for those that have the AoR beta, did we get the bodyglove in it? I was just thinking that it would be handy as it is worn under some of the armors.

Something with an encumberance of 1 and that removes 1 setback die for extreme temperatures or certain conditions and that is worn in conjunction with some armors.

Edited by mouthymerc

I don't know what all the fuss is over this anyway. We are talking 2 soak and 1 defense. Both of those things are incredibly easy to achieve with two talents and heavy clothing.

It's not like wearing this armor makes characters even remotely unstoppable. Sometimes I think people get into a mindset of limitation and start applying it everywhere, even where it isn't needed.

Use the cost and rarity rules as well, don't just let the PCs go to Any Old Armor Shoppe and Pizza Palace and buy it. Just like sticking to the Encumbrance rules they can eventually find this stuff but make them pay for it.

I second that. For me the "Heave Armor" is something what Fett or Kast wore. How many of such guys were in the galaxy? Two*. Stormtrooper Armor or similar? No problem! Ups, imperials shoot on sight :) .

*Ignoring new-EU that introduces new enemies with superb powers/armors faster than Empire new superweapons in old-EU.

So if we ignore EU, then how many planets do we see in the Star Wars galaxy? Twenty or so? We know that there are WAY MORE than that, so there's likely WAY MORE than two guys in the galaxy using heavy armor too.

Funny thing is, I'm looking at this all in the context of "how would I stat dark trooper armor?" You never know, somehow your PCs might run across a Phase II suit... :P

I would look to AoR beta, page 216 for Darktrooper Armour. However, since it's an NPC, all we get is " Powered armour (+2 soak, +1 defense) " in the equipment entry. So it looks like heavy battle armour with a missile tube, plasma shell assault cannon, and a jetpack attached.

-EF

Funny thing is, that's mostly what I came up with! :D I don't know how they statted the plasma shell assault cannon and missile tube though, because by RAW you can forget about not being encumbered unless you've got a 5+ Brawn; when trying to go the Saga d20 route ( Rebellion Era Campaign Guide deems the assault cannon "as light repeating blaster") but with a grenade launcher attachment thrown in, that was +2 Encumbrance and +1 Cumbersome, so I bumped it down to a heavy blaster rifle with grenade launcher, but then the grenade "mods" only went up to 6, whereas in canon it's 400 plasma shells and 20 missiles... thing is, I thought that it was the Phase IIIs that had the missile tubes and not the Phase IIs? I'm also keeping this in mind for if someone were to try to actually wear the Phase II, although I get conflicting info (i.e. from RECG) about whether the Phase II is wearable or if it's only the far rarer Phase III.

The other thing is that a jetpack user is treated as a Silhouette 1 vehicle, but I think that a Phase II might be a Silhouette 2... :P

My attempted homebrew/D6 conversion for the Imperial Royal Guards used heavy battle armor, but I chose to treat it as having received the Superior Weapon Customization "attachment" so that it's got both +3 soak and only "inflicts" 2 Encumbrance when worn, while my intepretation of Jodo/Kast's armor... is actually as armored clothing. :P

-EF

Funny thing is, that's mostly what I came up with! :D I don't know how they statted the plasma shell assault cannon and missile tube though, because by RAW you can forget about not being encumbered unless you've got a 5+ Brawn; when trying to go the Saga d20 route ( Rebellion Era Campaign Guide deems the assault cannon "as light repeating blaster") but with a grenade launcher attachment thrown in, that was +2 Encumbrance and +1 Cumbersome, so I bumped it down to a heavy blaster rifle with grenade launcher, but then the grenade "mods" only went up to 6, whereas in canon it's 400 plasma shells and 20 missiles... thing is, I thought that it was the Phase IIIs that had the missile tubes and not the Phase IIs? I'm also keeping this in mind for if someone were to try to actually wear the Phase II, although I get conflicting info (i.e. from RECG) about whether the Phase II is wearable or if it's only the far rarer Phase III.

The other thing is that a jetpack user is treated as a Silhouette 1 vehicle, but I think that a Phase II might be a Silhouette 2... :P

My attempted homebrew/D6 conversion for the Imperial Royal Guards used heavy battle armor, but I chose to treat it as having received the Superior Weapon Customization "attachment" so that it's got both +3 soak and only "inflicts" 2 Encumbrance when worn, while my intepretation of Jodo/Kast's armor... is actually as armored clothing. :P

The plasma shell assault cannon is pretty much a heavy blaster rifle with Breach 1, Concussive 1, Cumbersome 4 (instead of 3), and Inaccurate. Concussive is a new property that Staggers the target for [rating] rounds. And the Darktrooper has a Brawn of 4, so no penalties for using it! Well, aside from the Inaccurate bit :P

Very powerful, very deadly!

-EF

I don't know what all the fuss is over this anyway. We are talking 2 soak and 1 defense. Both of those things are incredibly easy to achieve with two talents and heavy clothing.

It's not like wearing this armor makes characters even remotely unstoppable. Sometimes I think people get into a mindset of limitation and start applying it everywhere, even where it isn't needed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against PCs having armor, even Heavy armor, it's just that the rules seem to be designed so you can play fine without it so you can play say a Han Solo (who never wears armor) without feeling like you're missing out on needed protection. I also think that making everything easily available or ignoring any drawbacks (ENC) takes something away from the game.

This is one of the reasons that I like the non-stacking of cover and armor of equal value, it doesn't overly penalize PCs who don't wear heavy armor.

You could think of the Defense +1 armors as cover for those who get caught out in the open...

This is one of the reasons that I like the non-stacking of cover and armor of equal value, it doesn't overly penalize PCs who don't wear heavy armor.

This, very much. As a GM it would annoy me to have a whole party of slicer, pilot, mechanic and thief walk around in heavy battle armour simply because the rules didn't disallow it and there were no penalties. Characters who don't "fit" with heavy armour don't have to feel like they're missing out if they're not wearing it.

In our party we have a Twilek Marauder in Armored Clothing w/vibroaxe, a Bothan Slicer in Armored Clothing w/Heavy Blaster Rifle (typically sniping), a human Slicer in Heavy Clothing (typically hiding), and a Human Bodyguard in Laminate w/ Light Repeater (typically getting shot at by just about everybody.)

I call him my shiny ball of distraction.

If the PC's look like a threat, they should be treated like one.

Smart targeting by NPCs is good. When all my players dive into cover and pull out their blasters except for the Marauder, who charges screaming at the enemy while waving his gaffi stick over his head, guess who's up for a faceful of blaster fire?

This, very much. As a GM it would annoy me to have a whole party of slicer, pilot, mechanic and thief walk around in heavy battle armour simply because the rules didn't disallow it and there were no penalties. Characters who don't "fit" with heavy armour don't have to feel like they're missing out if they're not wearing it.

First off, HBA only benefits the Marauder, since Padded Armor and a rock to hide behind does the exact same thing.

Secondly, HBA is restricted. Which means a Streetwise check, and because of it's rarity, it's going to be hard to find, and much more expensive than the 5k it's listed at.

Make it hard to get, make it costly, and make whatever authorities there are give them a hard time for wearing it to dinner. And if all else fails, Sunder it.

I like these explainations, a lot.

Alternately, think of armor as mobile cover...

I highly doubt Gand will have anything more than Armored Clothing for his duration. As poor as we are going to be, fancy rare stuff just isn't going to happen. That and our GM would have us arrested onsite if we walked around in HBA. Well, at least if there were any type of imperial influence in the town we were in. When and if we ever get some money rolling, HBA is not near the top of our list priority wise.

(Edited due to sounding to rude)

In our campaign, we won't see any substantial amount of coin any time soon. Since we are shooting for a long campaign, why not start at the bottom of the barrel? Our last mission netted us 120 Cr. a piece! We still don't have a ship and that's just fine!

Edited by Dex Vulen

My group usually just wears Heavy Clothing and weapons with Encumbrance of 1 (mainly blaster pistols and a few vibroknives), but we do have a few suits of Padded Armor that we picked up for when we know we're going into a fight. That's also when the ship's weapon locker is opened and the four blaster carbines within are handed out. There are two exceptions - the droid mechanic has built-in padded armor (sturdy construction) and our Trandoshan bodyguard has a heavy blaster rifle for serious situations. Other than that, we try to keep things low key and reasonable, and most times we succeed.

Edited by HappyDaze

My group usually just wears Heavy Clothing and weapons with Encumbrance of 1 (mainly blaster pistols and a few vibroknives), but we do have a few suits of Padded Armor that we picked up for when we know we're going into a fight. That's also when the ship's weapon locker is opened and the four blaster carbines within are handed out. There are two exceptions - the droid mechanic has built-in padded armor (sturdy construction) and our Trandoshan bodyguard has a heavy blaster rifle for serious situations. Other than that, we try to keep things low key and reasonable, and most times we succeed.

If we ever get off the Tatooineesque GM made planet we will probably roll something like that. With the lack of Empire presence where we are, Gand is ok with walking around with his blaster rifle.

The only "authority" where we are is the security force placed by the company that terraformed the system, and we currently work for them. Right now it consists mostly of courier jobs, but you have to start somewhere.

I've read on this forum that you can wear armor and a shield generator at once and that got me thinking about maxing out defense to see if it could be viable.
Heavy Battle Armor +1 defense +2 soak
Superior Quality +1 soak -1 encumbrance

Gadgeteer +1 soak +1 defense

Jury Rig +1 defense
Personal Deflector Shield +2 defense
Tinkerer since it doesn't have any hard points
Superior Quality +1 soak -1 encumbrance

Jury Rig +1 defense

+6 defense +5 soak for only 2 total encumbrance
Off the top of my head that's the highest defense I've come up with. Probably won't even matter that much since black die suck.
Edited by Crimson Death