"Wait a minute! How did this happen? We're smarter than this."

By GM Stark, in Game Masters

So at level 2, the party got their hands on a ship of a psuedo-Emperor's Hand, overrode the AI, and were very difficult to handle in ship combat.

Oh man, to be handed a present like that as a GM, it'd by like my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one! Aside from instantly making a powerful enemy who is now hunting them down, the opportunity for so many tricks and traps and "You didn't know about that" moments on their ship. Yeah, they got the ship for free, but they would have been paying for it for YEARS!

Oh, they were paying for it. They did kill the guy, but he was just a "copy"; basically, a lot of guys wearing the same armor in similar ships going across the galaxy.

So when they ran into the "real" one who was able to override parts of the ship, it was hilarious. There was some fun, but it was a headache at first.

I like this thread. Helps to prepare for the ridiculous things that occur during gameplay. I'm now armed with several counters to players doing something stupid, or else trying to become too powerful too early in the game.

"You want what? No."

"Oh, so you got the Captain of a Star Destroyer to surrender? Yeah, the Stormtroopers on guard in the bridge, as well as several members of the bridge personnel don't agree and all draw their blasters."

"So you captured a Star Destroyer? Okay, where are you going to find the thousands of crewmembers to keep it operational? Most of the crew isn't going to simply defect because you asked nicely. What about operation costs? Can you afford to keep a ship that size in pristine condition?"

Speaking of Star Destroyers, look at the Errant Venture, an Imperial II Classi Star Destroyer captured and was allowed to be kept by the smuggler who caught it. Good example of the kind of madness someone has to go through to keep a ship that large taken care of.

I like this thread. Helps to prepare for the ridiculous things that occur during gameplay. I'm now armed with several counters to players doing something stupid, or else trying to become too powerful too early in the game.

Thanks! That's what I was going for. Of course, there's really NO way to prepare for every possibility. But you never know when you might find yourself considering a plot line and thinking "wait a tick! There's something familiar about this."

Speaking of Star Destroyers, look at the Errant Venture, an Imperial II Classi Star Destroyer captured and was allowed to be kept by the smuggler who caught it. Good example of the kind of madness someone has to go through to keep a ship that large taken care of.

Booster Terrick! I'm very familiar with him! I just didn't want to spoil the book for anyone who hadn't read it yet!

But yeah, he had to maintain the entire ship, and to be allowed to keep it the New Republic even had him strip some of the weapons out so it wasn't even fully loaded, either.

Thanks! That's what I was going for. Of course, there's really NO way to prepare for every possibility. But you never know when you might find yourself considering a plot line and thinking "wait a tick! There's something familiar about this."

It still helps to have some ideas. I'm going to attempt running the Beginner Game for the campus club and I like to be prepared. Especially since the last (first) time I tried to GM, my group had me start it early before I was prepared and it quickly fell apart. I liked part of how I set it up, so I'm reusing some of the concepts if I manage to get a full copy of Edge of the Empire to tinker with.

Edited by XNtr3k

It still helps to have some ideas. I'm going to attempt running the Beginner Game for the campus club and I like to be prepared. Especially since the last (first) time I tried to GM, my group had me start it early before I was prepared and it quickly fell apart. I liked part of how I set it up, so I'm reusing some of the concepts if I manage to get a full copy of Edge of the Empire to tinker with.

It does help to have ideas. In fact, I am thinking that once I start actually writing adventures and scenarios, I'd like to post them here with the question: "If you were a player in this situation, what could you do to completely take advantage?"

OK, new story to share. Has anyone been in this type of situation?

"Take over as our GM, they said. It'll be fun, they said."

This was a d20 campaign set in the Rise of the Empire (prequel trilogy) era, and was described as being somewhat like EotE turned out to be: an Outer Rim group (using Minos Cluster setting from WEG d6: Tramp Freighters - still a highly recommended resource). For several players, it was the first time they played a system other than Shadowrun, so a Scoundrel and Rogues type setting was chosen to 'bridge' the players into Star Wars. All fine so far. The big mistake was not asking to see the character sheets before agreeing. This was far from a mercenary group.

At least half the player characters were Force Users; 1 Force Adept and 2 Jedi Guardians, plus a once-in-a-while player who also played a Guardian. Of the two Guardians, one had several Dark Side powers (Force Choke, Lightning), and carried with her, two Sith holocrons! The character was kind of based on River Tam in Firefly - young girl, apparently an innocent Padawan, but with "sleeper" skills that surface from time to time. The other Jedi guardian was a Shi'ido, a shapechanging race, which according it its own entry in the aliens sourcebook are not allowed to become Jedi. There were a few other ability and equipment additions that I would not have approved to begin with, but these were the major ones.

The result was a rather unbalanced game, with a few players who had well balanced characters constantly being upstaged by a few Uber characters. I ended up stepping down as both GM and player on that game. Actually, it was one of the non-Munchkin players who approached me about starting an Edge of the Empire game. So, sometimes standing your ground on the ridiculousness is a good thing.

I recently had an issue in edge of the empire revolving around a nexu controlling jawa overthrowing our esteemed assassin droid captain who recently commandeered a custom freighter with over powered weaponry...

And earlier, in saga, we had a situation based off of a campaign of failures. First off, I made my own character to help guide the players when necessary. The first two sessions went good, until they were stuck with a large band of pirates on their ship. I decided to formulate another disaster by saying the ships AI knew of secret guns in the walls of an Ithorian's custom made ship. This killed all the baddies when the players could of had an epic fight, but was all my fault due to bad planning. We then got in a sticky situation as the inevitable wookie of the group (who was a Jedi) decided to eat a dead hostage because the ship had a lacking of meat. This turned the whole crew against him, and resulted in his character being sold to slavers. His next character was ow a wookie merc, and we got off pretty good again, until we got to Kashyyk, where a confrontation with a Rakkata through intercoms in an old Trade Federation base caused complications. They escaped and got to a space station to refuel, but we're given the standard shake down, and the wookie, being the only one with money in the group, said he was a slave to avoid a cut of the funds. I decided that the officer would increase the price for slaves, which resulted in a bowcaster shot to the face. The droids with him attacked and killed the Ithorian, though I let him live through Devine intervention, and the guns in the walls activated again, and a whole big mess led to the landing on Rakkata Prime which led to racism arguments over hating someone speaking the same tongue as someone who tried to kill you.

The campaign was a mess, and I was glad to see it gone. I hope to find better times in Edge of the Empire.

Edited by Castlecruncher