Thoughts on the new update!

By Nimsim, in Game Mechanics

I think bladerunner's point about page-count is good, though. The focus should really be on revision of what's already there, not expanding with new content, because FFG do have a quota they have to fit this under.

That is true they will have a page count to keep to but I would rather see pages taken from something like the fluff to add in some of the very good ideas that have be floating round.

As the chances are anyone who is GM is going to know much of the fluff already either from previous DH games or from knowledge of the hobby in general. I can't see many GMs going into a session and only knowing the basic stuff that will be in the rule book. As for general players that's what experienced players, GM and source books are for as they can more than likely tell any player a lot more than what will be in the core rule book.

It seems bulging biceps no longer makes you immune to lack of bracing. Not entirely sure how I feel about that - see, Suspensors were already usually "the way" to get the thing safe to use without costing you XP, so that's an extra tick against bulging biceps once again. Perhaps if we added another little boon to what it offers, so that it's not ONLYl a weaker version of an equipment upgrade?

This is no longer how suspensors or bulging biceps work.

The pre-update bulging biceps reduced the penalty for firing heavy weapons unbraced from -30 to -15, which didn't align with the penalty listed on p132 (-20). The update fixed this to reflect the rules on p132. Suspensors don't reduce the penalty at all. Instead, they allow a character to brace a heavy weapon anywhere, for 1AP. Personally, I like that they no longer do the same thing.

That is true they will have a page count to keep to but I would rather see pages taken from something like the fluff to add in some of the very good ideas that have be floating round.

As the chances are anyone who is GM is going to know much of the fluff already either from previous DH games or from knowledge of the hobby in general. I can't see many GMs going into a session and only knowing the basic stuff that will be in the rule book. As for general players that's what experienced players, GM and source books are for as they can more than likely tell any player a lot more than what will be in the core rule book.

This is a terrible idea. The fluff is the very reason many people want to play the game. On top of that, by reducing that fluff, FFG would be alienating new players, regardless of "experienced players, GM and source books". The core rulebook should contain everything needed to play a game of Dark Heresy, and you shouldn't have to buy additional books or get advice from someone else. If FFG did this, it would most likely hurt their bottom line more than omitting some of the (admittedly good) rules ideas presented on this forum. Instead of sacrificing the fluff, they could easily revise the rules to be more concise and improve the layout.

Food for thought: The core rulebooks usually weigh in at around 400 pages. Dark Heresy 1e's "fluff" chapters (Life in the Imperium, The Inquisition, The Calixis Sector) took up 82 pages. In order to stick to the assumed 400-page limit for 2e, FFG will need to fit their fluff into 63 pages.

Edited by MaliciousOnion

I kind of like the Weapon Modifications being tied to Status. I always have one eye on how something will affect player behaviour and it really keeps with the WH40K setting to see them carefully maintaining and looking after their weapons. Especially the more precious ones with better status, seeing them be all careful and reverential with them.

This is a setting of decay and lost technology. I probably will let Weapon mods come back with repair, but creating a feeling that they want to keep their mono chainsword on a velvet plinth in the secure room of their castle and carefully clean and adjust the teeth after every day of battle... that's very 40K. :D

I actually want to see single shot weapons have more mods to them. I feel like it would greatly balance them out over rapid fire weapons.

It seems bulging biceps no longer makes you immune to lack of bracing. Not entirely sure how I feel about that - see, Suspensors were already usually "the way" to get the thing safe to use without costing you XP, so that's an extra tick against bulging biceps once again. Perhaps if we added another little boon to what it offers, so that it's not ONLYl a weaker version of an equipment upgrade?

This is no longer how suspensors or bulging biceps work.

The pre-update bulging biceps reduced the penalty for firing heavy weapons unbraced from -30 to -15, which didn't align with the penalty listed on p132 (-20). The update fixed this to reflect the rules on p132. Suspensors don't reduce the penalty at all. Instead, they allow a character to brace a heavy weapon anywhere, for 1AP. Personally, I like that they no longer do the same thing.

Actually, bulging biceps also allows to brace for 1 AP, so actually bulging biceps is plain better than suspensors - you don't need those things anymore, which takes a lot of weight off your weapon and makes room for an extra mod.

I actually want to see single shot weapons have more mods to them. I feel like it would greatly balance them out over rapid fire weapons.

Giving Called SHot a Bonus on damage reagrding to DoS should solve this issue quite well.

Shotguns are still spray. I think this is foolish. It gives the shotgun a very short range, unlike any shotgun we can recognise, and it allows a single shot to hit half a dozen people at short range, unlike any shotgun any of us likely know.

Making it like a flamer that can hit even more people isn't a great idea.

Ok, not going to rant this week but only because there's nothing really new to rant about. The injury system and weapon tables are still inconsistent and nonsensical (see my post in the official update 1 thread in the mechanics section), while very few changes of note have been made since the first update. I understand Gen-Con slowed things down considerably so I'm holding out for a better, more substantial update next week. Hopefully the developers have realised by now that large changes need to be made and aren't afraid to do so, as the system we have at the moment is not very inspiring.

It's understandable that we are frustrated by the size of the update. However, please remember that making changes to the core rules takes time. I believe FFG are still looking through peoples' suggestions and will implement more of the suggested changes in the future, but it's unreasonable to expect an overhaul of the mechanics in just a couple weeks.

Lets just forget the neglectable Update 2 and lets wait for Update 3.

If Update 3 adresses much more and is worth to actually be called an Update, lets forget and forgive Update 2.

And if it is like Update 2, then...well...may the emperor protect them.

I'm more the type to worry that we'll get instead a "well that's all folks, thanks for the input because everything is now utterly fine with this final update, we'll be taking this to the printers next week" with something that's quite obviously still an alpha.

Beta's when you're fine-tuning things, and right now DH2's got massive chunks that need recrafting.

We're here for that, that much is obvious, I just hope the developers don't have a deadline looming too close to move things to beta and not retail.