Wisdom and Warfare Combat

By wooterslw, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

So I am reading the new rules for Wisdom and Warfare (I should be getting my copy Friday :wub: )

1) The rules under combat, page 8 state:

Engages Units
Units cannot attack an existing front that has two units already engaged on it. If all fronts are currently engaged from both sides, a player must start a new front.
What does that mean? I thought all combat was 1 unit on 1 unit per front?

2) This may become self evident after I get the game, but I'll ask here just in case it's still a question. The rules for City-States say: A controlled city-state is considered to be in the outskirts of the controlling player’s capital.

Does that mean that the 8 squares around the tile are considered part of the capital's outskirts? Effectively doubling a starting cities squares?? (People will be fighting for these bad boys)

Also, if an enemy unit is stationed on the outskirts of the City-State does it just blockade that City-State or also the Capital? I would presume just the City-State, but I'm sure it would be asked :)

3) Will there be any "Official" release of a 6,7 or 8 player setup, since we have so many tiles now? I mean, I know I could just make something up, but was just curious.

Thanks for the great expansion!

the battle work just like before, but counting the remain health point plus combat bonus to decide the victor. Only the city state square itself is considered as part of the capital's city skirts. I guess that means that you can build figures directly onto the controlled city state.

That can't be right for the city-states because the rules state "It can generate production, trade, culture, and other bonuses for the controlling player." So I am presuming that the outskirts of the city state are part of the capital. I just wanted an official yea or nay on that topic.

And that combat statement from the rules " If all fronts are currently engaged from both sides, a player must start a new front." That is what is throwing me. Engaged from both sides?

• City states only generate items from within their own square, not from the surrounding squares. There is a picture of the city state tiles on Board Game Geek. The items are sent to your capital provided that you have a figure in the the city state (not adjacent).

• Prior to WaW after combat was resolved any given front would end up with, at most, one unit remaining. So the opponent could attack that front again. With WaW after combat you can end up with a front that has two units in it after combat is resolved - one from each opponent. You cannot add a third unit to a front (barring some card effect that says otherwise).

I'm sorry. I must really be slow. How can someone have multiple opponents?? Here's how I understand combat:

- Player A attacks Player B

- Player B plays a card (I won't worry about type) with Strength 3

- Player A plays a card on that card with Strength 4. Player B's card is discarded and Player A has 3 wounds

So, how can a unit have more than one engaged side?

I'm sorry. I must really be slow. How can someone have multiple opponents?? Here's how I understand combat:

- Player A attacks Player B

- Player B plays a card (I won't worry about type) with Strength 3

- Player A plays a card on that card with Strength 4. Player B's card is discarded and Player A has 3 wounds

So, how can a unit have more than one engaged side?

The things is that in W&W, strenght and Health are now 2 different things, and some units have more Health than Strenght -> If Player A play such an Unit and Player B do the same (with the same unit) on the same front, the front will be filed with one Unit from both side wounded but still alive. This said, no unit can interferate with this filed front. -> Playaer A will have to open a new front.

The good point in this, is that you will have some surviving units at the end of the battle. Before it was rarely the case... Player A plays an unit, played B plays an unit taht kills it, then player A plays an unit that kills it, etc, etc.

Now combat can be more strategic and you can "save" units by filling front (the only way to kill unit on a filed front is by Math or Balistics Iron abilities).

So let me see if I get this straight.

Player A attacks player B

- Player B plays a Str 3. Health 5

- Player A plays a Str 3, Health 3 on that front

Player A's unit is discarded and Player B unit is left with 2 Health

- Player B plays a Str 1, Health 2 card opposite his orginal card, thus protecting both units because Player A must start a new front (unless you have tech that lets you damage units in some way)

Nope. You can only ever play one unit in each front on your side. In your last example, Player B would have to open a new front with his Str1, Health 2 card.

And that combat statement from the rules " If all fronts are currently engaged from both sides, a player must start a new front." That is what is throwing me. Engaged from both sides?

Let's see if this makes more sense. Think of a front as a random rock on the ground in the exact spot that two opposing armies will meet. Then the front can be engaged from both sides, for example your side and the opponents side.

Ok. So I have been doing right. That wording threw me. It made it sound like you could either (a) have multiple units attacking a single unit or (b) a player could play 2 units against each other to protect it. :P