Expansion Plans

By mjamesmcdonald, in Elder Sign

I really like the additional dice included in Unseen Forces but was wondering what additional options are going to be available in future expansions? I can't imagine that more and more dice will just keep getting added ad nauseum. Are there plans to include two stage scenarios a la Omens. I really like that idea as it brought a great new level of play the first time I played C'thulhu and found myself transported via ship to an ocean map. I would love to see this sort of thing in the table top game. Any thoughts on other expansion ideas?

I enjoy this game also, play it a lot. I was wondering what expansions might be in the works. There are plenty of cards now but I was wondering if it would go "outside" the museum or an artifact might send you somewhere else. Anyone else got ideas?

I guess we will see the remaining investigators / ancient ones and maybe heralds arriving, plus other cards. It would be nice to see some other dynamics entering play (vortices or the DOR track), so that you can use some special dice to solve special adventures / tasks able to influence the new dynamics.

Dunno, really. But for sure, I'd love to have something more coming :P

It would be cool to see "Arkham Location" cards that could be opened up by completing adventures, kind of like Other World Cards. It would be nice to see some familiar locales in Arkham itself, and could represent investigators leaving the museum to fetch important items or allies, with few or no Elder Sign rewards, to keep Other Worlds important.

It would be cool to see "Arkham Location" cards that could be opened up by completing adventures, kind of like Other World Cards. It would be nice to see some familiar locales in Arkham itself, and could represent investigators leaving the museum to fetch important items or allies, with few or no Elder Sign rewards, to keep Other Worlds important.

You know, that's a great idea. Having cards able to make other cards entering play and offering different things to the investigators (different ways to acquire ES or different winning strategies)

I think it would be great if they incorporated some aspects of the Elder Sign: Omens into future expansions, including the expedition to Alaska from the Ithaqua expansion and the expedition to the Pacific from Cthulhu. I have played both of those expansions extensively, and there are some great monsters and adventure cards that would be a lot of fun to try with the board game. The added objectives, like limited supplies or searching for artifacts could add some great twists.

Edited by Michael Scorefan

I'd like it if they added more ways to get blessed and cursed dice. I've barely ever seen either die come up. Also it would be nice if they found a way to ramp up the difficulty.

If you want to see more Blessings in your game, you can always get a Blessing at the Chapel. Plus there should be enough items to grant some Blessings to arrive (Holy Water, Cross, the Blessing spell come to mind).

As for the Cursed die.. just play an Abhoth game.

I'm saying this simply because I believe it's very unlikely we'll have another expansion using Blessings / Curses: generally speaking, FFG games are modular, so that expansions do not interact with each other (we had a couple of exceptions so far, but generally this doesn't happen), so that focusing on Blessings and Curses would imply the dice and the cards to be printed again.

Tibs,

The only problem I see with the idea of incorporating other places from Arkham ....is that it starts to feel like Arkham . If I want to play Arkham Horror , I'll play that game, where Elder Sign has its own characteristics. To make it too much like another game in the franchise would, to me, dilute it, rather than enhance it.

Cheers,

Joe

I hope the next expansion makes Elder Sign harder. Its too easy of a game to play, even with the Hard Mode Mythos cards. My friends and I have a 100% win rate at it. I can't really boast that about the other Arkham File games however, or many other co-ops for that matter.

No new expansions planned?

Who knows? I guess if they have something in mind, the coming GenCon could be a good place to discover something. Or end of October Arkham Nights (in case it's run again this year)

deleted

Edited by jlhorner1974

Those wolves from the Ithaqua adventure in Elder Sign: Omens are beyond evil. At midnight each one summons another wolf!

Those wolves from the Ithaqua adventure in Elder Sign: Omens are beyond evil. At midnight each one summons another wolf!

You should probably post this in the Elder Sign: Omens forum for a greater feedback. This forum is for the tabletop version :)

You should probably post this in the Elder Sign: Omens forum for a greater feedback. This forum is for the tabletop version :)

I know. I was merely lamenting the possibility of having to deal with said wolves in the tabletop version -- they are nasty. :)

I think an expansion with content from Elder Sign: Omens is a fantastic idea:

I know. I was merely lamenting the possibility of having to deal with said wolves in the tabletop version -- they are nasty. :)

I think an expansion with content from Elder Sign: Omens is a fantastic idea:

Sorry, I missed the implication on the first reading :)

Aye, Omens has some interesting ideas. Plus, I wouldn't mind if the adventure could move a little outside the museum!

If you look at overall picture FFG has done with the Chtulhu line, you'll notice that the dice game concentrates on a single building (not counting Omens), AH concentrates on a single town, and EH deals with the global aspect of the game.

Looking over the line as a whole, I highly doubt we will see location cards that go beyond the museum. It seems like FFG wants you to move onto AH if you want to adventure in a town setting and EH if you want to go globe trotting.

I only briefly went through my Unforseen expansion and I got the impression that many cards were event related than actual areas in the museum.

What I would like to see in the next expansion is mechanics to deal with the blandness of the item cards.

Well, I think Mansions of Madness is more "inside a single building", and tend to consider Elder Sign as something different: belonging to the same family, but not necessarily tied to a specific place / location. Plus, even Mansions of Madness with Call fo the Wild started moving outside the manors.

Dunno, really; it's just that considering only the museum, I don't see how the game could be expanded beyond a certain point.

Then.. I'll be more than happy to have more Elder Sign coming, regardless of the setting!

In terms of expanding the museum or expanding beyond the museum then I'd like to see expansions beyond the museum but in a thematic sense. I'd be very interested in seeing an expansion like "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" using material from that region. You're stuck in that neighborhood, but there's all kinds of cards that can both reference locations like(like the refinery or Esoteric Order), and then you'd have the more event based cards(things related to the Innsmouth Look, or a card about "Something In The Water"). They could add a mechanic to expansions like this, Julia even specifically mentioned the DOR track, so that it's new content in a form you're used but also with this new threat to deal with that's just in this expansion. With the price point of the small box expansions then it seems reasonable to do something like that and it not be much of an investment for that added material.

Some might say then why not play Arkham, but Arkham is an open-ended blend of ideas and story from the core game to adding in all eight expansions. A small box like I describe would represent the closest thing to a more linear story but with the quicker play time, and the easier introduction to new gamers to Arkham Files games compared to playing Arkham.

I wouldn't like another expansion, I'd prefer a sibling game.

Elder sign has a story about searching for the signs in a museum, you can't really mix in too many more cards without diluting the story. I'd like separate games that used the same system but told a completely different story.

E.g. a game set in innsmouth where you hunt for enough evidence to call in the Fed's before it's too late. Or a story set in the asylum/dreamlands/mountain's of madness.

Each new game would introduce investigators that could be used in any of the games but the cards/items/monsters would be specific to each game and would build up the story. Each game would have slightly different win conditions and difficulty levels.

I wouldn't like another expansion, I'd prefer a sibling game.

Elder sign has a story about searching for the signs in a museum, you can't really mix in too many more cards without diluting the story. I'd like separate games that used the same system but told a completely different story.

E.g. a game set in innsmouth where you hunt for enough evidence to call in the Fed's before it's too late. Or a story set in the asylum/dreamlands/mountain's of madness.

Each new game would introduce investigators that could be used in any of the games but the cards/items/monsters would be specific to each game and would build up the story. Each game would have slightly different win conditions and difficulty levels.

Thinking along those lines then would you want a whole new core set, or an expansion along the size of Unseen Forces that also happened to have the cards with that story and mechanic? I'd think the dice would stay the same as well as most of the items so a whole new core set might not be necessary. You'd just be getting a thick stack of cards that would replace(not mix) the core set.

mulletcheese,

If the game ventures outside the mansion, I'm not interested either...if it does so, then it begins the creep toward a a dice and card-driven Arkham Horror , instead of it's own game. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll keep the base game and Unseen Forces only.

Cheers,

Joe

:P