I want to run a Star Wars game and fill it to the brim with spaghetti western stuff. Give me ideas...

By BaronVonStevie, in Game Masters

First, a couple of disclaimers: I've only seen the original 1957 version (so I don't know how the new one stacks up) and I could only find the remake's trailer on line - but The 3:10 to Yuma would make a great game

It's a bit psychological, so it'd require some reworking from the GM, but the TL;DNR version is: an outlaw was captured, but word got back to his gang. The Hero has to get the Bandit on the 3:10 train to Yuma before the Bandit's men gun him down.

So, outnumbered, the players have to get Their Bounty to the proper authorities while under the gun of the Bandit Gang's nose.

Oddly, enough. Jcutcher, you aren't the first person to mention that movie on these boards.

When it comes down to it, aren't Spaghetti Westerns really about the music? Fire up your Spotify account while playing and set the mood with music.

Lonesome Dove

A good modern Spaghetti Western that isn't mentioned so far has to be The Good, The Bad, and The Weird . A solid recent Korean western that takes place sometime in the 1930's. Lots action, likeable heroes and villains, great shootouts between all sorts of groups, and something called the "Ghost Market" which should fit in ever so nicely with Star Wars. One of the best and least known westerns to come out. I highly recommend this movie.

*EDIT* Crap, sorry for the random ressurection but this movie is just too damned good to pass up and it has plenty of elements that would fit right in with the Star Wars universe. Now, excuse me while I go watch this masterpiece yet again.

Found out about this one the other day. Toshiro Mifune in a Spahetti Western with Charles Bronson? How could I pass that up?

The ending is a little bit weak (and the soundtrack is terrible), but the story is solid enough for stealing for EotE. A swordsman (like a Coynite ? Perhaps a Jedi) with a strict moral samurai-ish code has to deliver an super rare, super important cultural artifact to an ambassador, falls in with a tramp freighter crew (who also had their cargo jacked) - instant fish out of water adventure!

Edited by Desslok

A couple scenes that could make good Star Wars encounters, either involving the PC's or indirectly involving them, come from an old John Wayne movie. A bit cheesy, but worth it, if you are looking for slightly campy westerns for inspiration for your game. The movie is El Dorado, and is a good way to waste a few hours on a weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBsV992dGM

The Big Gundown

This one might be a little hard to turn into a game, since it leans heavily on the politics of the Mexican Revulsion and some plot twists of corruption and backstabbing. However it's got some cool set pieces and scenes that you could easily lift into other plots. Plus it's a **** fine Western.

Rio Conchos :

An ex-Confederate, two Army officers and a Mexican bandit team up to find the thieves who are supplying guns to renegade Indians/outlaws for the purpose of resurrecting the Civil war. Not quite a spaghetti western, seeing as it was made by Hollywood and shot in Utah, but it's still perfect for some bitter veterans of the Clone Wars, looking for some vengeance on the Empire.

I wrote my chunks of Far Horizons (the colonist book) from the perspective of the western pretty overtly. If you don't have a copy of that yet, you might want to pick it up!

Okay, this one is not a spaghetti western (hell, it's only barely a western at all), but how about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNQv19YpG4

Yes, you'll have to strip all the humor and parody out and completely rework the ending - but at the core, it could make a good game. A Robber Baron ("That's Headly!") is trying to terrorize and drive out a town that's standing in the Way Of Progress. Into this trouble rolls our heroes to save the day, but the townspeople don't like them for some reason - be it a PC team of all aliens amongst a humans-only settlement, they don't like outsiders or whatever. So in addition to stopping the bad guys they also have to win over the townspeople.

Edited by Desslok

Did someone say Western?

On 7/6/2015 at 10:19 AM, Desslok said:

Did someone say Western?

God **** was that cool! I love the western Star Wars music. I'm googling for a whole album now.

To diverge from the crowd here a bit, but Star Wars has drawn influences and parallels to Akira Kurosawa's " The Hidden Fortress " so I am surprised no one else has mentioned it yet (or i missed it). But many of Kurosawa's films can be mined for inspiration. Heck the Magnificent 7 western is a direct plot remake of Kurosawa's " 7 samurai" . Kurosawa's " Yojimbo " also got remade into the bruce willis movie " Last Man Standing ". Personally I am about to set up my player in a Yojimbo situation where they get a chance to play one rival gang off of another, and its very Edge appropriate.