Help needed: Isolation and starship adventure ideas / Forming bonds with the crew

By Noldorion, in Game Masters

Hi everyone!

So, my group and I started our EotE campaign a week ago, and we're absolutely having a blast.

I've taken much inspiration from the Firefly show, so basically the PCs are your friendly, good-hearted, half-criminal fringer ne'er-do-wells. They got their ship, a couple of credits to get things going, and off they go.

Now here's where I need your help. The group is assembling a crew right now, and my players love roleplaying with NPCs. So I got high hopes for them to form a deep bond with their crew members.

Actually, I really want them to. I want to instill a sense of community and friendship with their crew. And what's better to form such bonds than experiencing danger together?

I want to run a couple of sessions / short scenarios where they are pretty much isolated from other NPCs. Some scenarios where they have to face some horrible danger and have noone to rely on other than each other. No contacts in Coruscant, no old Yavin battle comrades you can call upon - just your ragtag bunch of crew members, so you get to trust and appreciate each and every one of them. So you get to know them.

I'm thinking of running those sessions centered around their ship. And now I'm looking for some ideas. What could possibly happen to isolate them, to keep them on their toes, and ideally to keep them in their ship?

Here are my thoughts so far.

- A horrible accident renders their ship immobile (think "Out of Gas" episode). They have to use their cunning and resourcefulness to get things going again. This is all rather nice from a narrative point of view, but they need some mechanical and gameplay challenges as well. Also, nobody should feel useless. How can I do this?

- They are stranded on a distant world, maybe following the accident. There's noone around, so they have to cope with the situation themselves. Maybe there is some kind of terrible danger around (think "Pitch Black"). They have to find shelter, gather food, protect themselves, salvage ressources for their ship.

- While flying, they meet a terrible foe, someone they have no hope of defeating. How do I keep them from just trying to weather a couple of rounds before hitting the Hyperdrive button? How can I flesh such an encounter out into a whole adventure (or at least a session) where they have to stay on their ship, have to fear being detected the whole time?

Anything is welcome. Quick brainstormed ideas just tossed in, fully fleshed-out adventure concepts, anything at all. Maybe you even got some different ideas how I can help them forming bonds with their crew.

I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Noldorion

If you want an extended shipboard adventure, just have the primary hyperdrive damaged when they're 'only' 24 hours (by x1 hyperdrive) out from a destination. With most ships you'll now have them in transit for 12-16 days.

You could also do flashback vignettes designed to roleplay how the crew came together ( just like the Firefly episode "Out of Gas" that you mentioned @Noldorion ), and then snap to a present scenario where they are in dire straits ( ie. they have already been boarded, and subdued by a crooked Imperial/CorSec/System patrol that intends to take their ship and vent them all into space ).

Edited by Callidon

Damaging their hyperdrive is of course the primary means of isolating them in space far away from help. Actually I'm even thinking of damaging both drives so they have to resort to sublight speed. Still, in itself that's not much of an adventure. Having to spend two weeks in hyperspace probably mainly consists of hanging around in the ship's lounge having a game of dejarik or sabacc or playing grav-ball in the cargo bay. That's cool, and it's a good start - they have to spend time together, get to know each other - , but I'm also looking where to go from there, what could happen while they have no chance to simply speed away to their destination.

I'll also look into the flashbacks. They haven't spent enough time with the whole crew yet for lots of flashback possibilities, but there are a couple of things I could try.

Damaging their hyperdrive is of course the primary means of isolating them in space far away from help. Actually I'm even thinking of damaging both drives so they have to resort to sublight speed. Still, in itself that's not much of an adventure. Having to spend two weeks in hyperspace probably mainly consists of hanging around in the ship's lounge having a game of dejarik or sabacc or playing grav-ball in the cargo bay. That's cool, and it's a good start - they have to spend time together, get to know each other - , but I'm also looking where to go from there, what could happen while they have no chance to simply speed away to their destination.

I'll also look into the flashbacks. They haven't spent enough time with the whole crew yet for lots of flashback possibilities, but there are a couple of things I could try.

Being stuck on a ship together allows for things like the original Alien movie as well as a murder mystery among the passengers (most light freighters carry a handful of passengers). You could even combine both of those options.

Killing both hyperdrives and leaving them stuck at sublight means they won't get anywhere in their lifetimes.

Killing both hyperdrives is a little bit "too on the nose". It's blatantly telling them, "You have no other choice than to sit and play nice with the NPCs." I would try to be a little more nuanced in my intent.

"Their ship hits the debris trail of a comet (it wasn't on the navicom) and must slip out of hyperspace to make repairs and do system checks. The ship finds itself in an asteroid field, that is being pulled by a black hole - and which also inadvertently changed the comet's trajectory. The PCs must pilot out of the moving debris, do a system check and repair minor hull damage. If they do nothing in 96 hours they'll be too far into the black hole to get out."

- - Even after all the dice rolls and excitement, they still have to travel sublight through the asteroid field to get out the other side to make the jump into hyperspace to continue the story. And that can take as long as you like for them to develop relationships with the crew. The net result is the same without hitting them over the head with it... also, it's more engaging as they actually still have to save their ship. Maybe their is some lucrative salvage sliding towards the black hole too, anyone care for a space walk in a moving asteroid field. Perhaps they're not the only ones there. Perhaps they add one to their crew from a sticken luxury yacht. shrug. :)

For another reference, look up Mass Effect 2. The whole game is about befriending crew and how they interact with Shep.

Edited by torquemadaza
That's a pretty neat idea, thank you. I never planned just telling them "Your hyperdrives fail", of course it would have been part of a storyline and there would have been a reason. But the asteroid field is great for that. Lots of things to explore there, with the black hole probably pulling huge amounts of debris to find. I like that.

I'll also look into Mass Effect 2, although when I played it I regarded it as always following exactly the same pattern: Do a personal mission, gain a few "appreciation points" with the crew member, suddenly he likes you. But maybe there are a few quests taking place on the Normandy, those would be great. Any suggestions which ones I could steal from?

Regarding sublight travel: I thought the Falcon travelled from Hoth to Bespin with sublight speed. Sure, it took a lot of time, but I thought it was totally possible to reach a nearby system with enough patience. Same story with Episode I, didn't they land on Tatooine specifically to purchase a new hyperdrive generator? Or were the ships actually using a backup hyperdrive? I don't remember anything like that from the movies, but I might have forgotten it. Nevertheless, I guess when you fall out of hyperspace close enough to a system you should be able to reach it within a few weeks of travel. Not your planned destination, sure, but just somewhere.

I think what I was trying to get to (in a very round about way)... is that the asteroid field is a distraction that kicks off the "real" encounter that is with the NPCs in the slow crawl at sublight. It's effects are the same as if you have killed the hyperdrives... but it doesn't feel as final. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you weren't going to contextually relate the hyperdrive failure... it really isn't about how you do it... it's that it really obviously doesn't feel like it leaves the players much options - to the players. As they've seen the whole trick (we are stuck together and have to crawl to nearest port) in one swift move.

The end of the encounter appears just around the next corner narratively and -- importantly -- seems imminently solvable by the PCs, but then they discover there is more to do, and yet even more to do. String them along.

GM interrupts hyperspace travel with an accident.

(players: He must be up to something... wait for it people)

Ship needs repairs and we're in an asteroid field.

(players: Ah ha! Just wants to show us that bad things can happen in space. Every grab a hydrospanner.)

Little Asteroids bump up against windscreen, but they're not moving.

(players: Huh? What... what... Black HOLE!)

Everything's fixed, the sublight is powering them away slowly through the field.

(phew, that's a close one... how far until we get clear... a day... wow. okay. we're in the clear)

Then you deal the real encounter... one of the NPC crew is PREGNANT and there's a discrepancy as to who's the FATHER.

(players: Wha.....)

Edited by torquemadaza

I spend a lot of time trying to think of ways to disable the hyperdrive or discourage its use. One thing is simple, make it take a few rounds of combat before the thing kicks in. This allows the ship to potentially take damage and raise the astrogation check to a much harder level, perhaps making the PC's think about trying to outrun them the old fashioned way. Also, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser this baby is another opition. Besides that you could have consquences for PC's that just keep jumping into hyperspace like increased obligation from the Imperials as there ship becomes more wanted. Or simple enviormental effects as mentioned above.

Sorry, I ranted a little off topic :D . They could come down with a diease that effects everyone and must find a cure. Medical or intellect characters try to find cure. Maybe leadership characters struggle to keep everyone's moral high. Brawn characters might forcefully maintain order if things get real bad. Other characters could go on a remote planet and try to find the right herbs needed. This should all go hand-in-hand with there hyperdrive being disabled so they can't just fly to an advanced medical facility.

I think what I was trying to get to (in a very round about way)... is that the asteroid field is a distraction that kicks off the "real" encounter that is with the NPCs in the slow crawl at sublight. It's effects are the same as if you have killed the hyperdrives... but it doesn't feel as final. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you weren't going to contextually relate the hyperdrive failure... it really isn't about how you do it... it's that it really obviously doesn't feel like it leaves the players much options - to the players. As they've seen the whole trick (we are stuck together and have to crawl to nearest port) in one swift move.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound offended. I wasn't. I totally agree with you. I like the asteroid / black hole thing much better than a simple attack that disables the hyperdrive, no matter how justifiable it is. As for the pregnant crew member... well... they're not THAT bonded yet :rolleyes:

@frozenrock: I love those Interdictor ships so much ^_^ The disease idea is very nice. This would definitely keep them on their ship and isolate them as spaceports around them close down and refuse to let them land. I like that.

Edited by Noldorion
Regarding sublight travel: I thought the Falcon travelled from Hoth to Bespin with sublight speed. Sure, it took a lot of time, but I thought it was totally possible to reach a nearby system with enough patience. Same story with Episode I, didn't they land on Tatooine specifically to purchase a new hyperdrive generator? Or were the ships actually using a backup hyperdrive? I don't remember anything like that from the movies, but I might have forgotten it. Nevertheless, I guess when you fall out of hyperspace close enough to a system you should be able to reach it within a few weeks of travel. Not your planned destination, sure, but just somewhere.

If the Falcon truly was flying sublight (below the speed of light), then it would have taken YEARS to get to another star system. That is why WEG put in the Backup hyperdrives that were just really slow relative to the normal one. And in Ep 1 they were looking for a part for their hyperdrive, not a new generator.

I would say the worst thing you can do is force the characters to work with these NPC's. I personally find a much easier solution, and less paperwork for you as the GM, it to have your players make the crew. Have each player make up however many people is most evenly divided, just an outline at first with some highlights, maybe:

Race

Motivation

Position

Family

History

Childhood

"Teen years"

Young adult/Current

Once you've collected this rough outline, figure out a way to tie some of the key positions into the characters backgrounds. Maybe the surly chief engineer was on the same ship as a parent/sibling, or a young medic frequented the same bar during "college".

Trust me, in my Savage Worlds experience many times the NPC's that the Players care for and look after become as important, if not more important than some of the characters themselves. Heaven help the poor sap who kills everyone's favorite R4 unit who was just a happy little mechanic. The party will literally move mountains to extract revenge/see justice.

Edited by Tenrousei

As for the pregnant crew member... well... they're not THAT bonded yet :rolleyes:

the NPC did it. maybe. :ph34r:

There are population charts online. They really go to show just how desolate the outer rim is. Its likely that the planet they go to has only one small town or planet. Being on the opposite side of the planet still leaves them isolated for whatever adventure is on their way.

Maybe they are stopping off in a remote planet to pick up some water supply and a pc and an npc take the 'mule' out to get some water. An accident damages their speeder and its a forced trek back while the players on the ship have their own problems.

When Nishka captures Mal and Walsh it was a bonding moment that did involve other players. A situation like that could help out.

What I"d say though is to try to limit how many npcs you'd bond with at a time. The nice thing is, even if only one of the PC's is bonding with the NPC because they are all at the table everyone will still feel that connection to the NPC.

@Mando88: Nice. I like that, too. I'm sure I could find a couple of reasons to team up PCs and NPCs in varying constellations. I just have to make sure to cut between the split parties often enough so nobody gets bored. But this should be possible.

@Tenrousei: I certainly don't want to force them to work with anyone (except maybe in some adventures when that's the whole point - it's a classic topic). They get to choose their crew and get rid of them if they wish. Still, my players are more of the traditional kind. They like it if the GM provides every NPC and information. Right now, they're just getting acquainted with the destiny point system and being able to determine certain plot or setting points. Maybe once they get used to it they'll feel more comfortable with making up NPCs themselves. They do it for their character backgrounds all the time, creating family and friends, Might be possible to get them to try things like that with other NPCs as well.

By the way, I've made exactly the same experience with NPCs. It's especially true for little children (I once got may players positively foaming while running a WoD game about an orphanage), but trusted comrades, old mentors or just good friends work just as well. Woe to those who threaten them.

By the way, I've made exactly the same experience with NPCs. It's especially true for little children (I once got may players positively foaming while running a WoD game about an orphanage), but trusted comrades, old mentors or just good friends work just as well. Woe to those who threaten them.

I've discovered that my players sometimes take attachment to the strangest things. Some of them make sense (from a certain point of view), but most are pretty unexpected. However, they do seem to knee-jerk against anything that appears overtyly intended to elicit attachment. Children, widows, orphans and such are things they'll just walk away from - often just far enough to be out of the blast radius of the grenade they toss at the poor fuckers.

Edited by HappyDaze

often just far enough to be out of the blast radius of the grenade they toss at the poor fuckers.

:o

Yeah. That's why I try not to throw obvious heartstring pulls if I can help it - they detest such things.

I feel a sudden rush of affection for my players.

I'm suprised that didn't get filtered.....

As far as having them "make" the NPC's I'm not referring to stats, just background info. If by "traditional" you mean a normal 10%:90% split in the work between PC:GM, then just be upfront and tell them you'd like to involve them more in their story.

I rarely generate "villians" in my games anymore. Within the first few sessions one of them will make an enemy somewhere, and or in their backgrounds they'll give me one. Things just kind of develop on their own after that.

By "traditional" I meant to say they don't want to know too much about NPCs or the story in advance. They mostly want me to be in control of the whole narrative, everything included. Of course, they want to experience personal stories, but they like being surprised, finding out about an NPC's background, getting to know them in play instead of creating their background info. Heck, they even like to leave part of their own PC's background up to me - it's common that they take flaws (or, in case of Edge of the Empire, obligations) without deciding what they'll be, leaving it up to me. If this sounds as if they're lazy and trying to get me to do all the work, it isn't: They just trust me to come up with something they like, something tied deeply into the story, and they don't mind giving me full narrative control about everything. That's why it's taken a while for them to even use Destiny points for something other than mechanical advantages (although now that they got the hang of it, they enjoy it very much).

Long story short: They want to experience a personal story, taking their characters' backgrounds, motivations and obligations into account. They just don't want to know too much about this story in advance. It's their story because it's tailored to their PCs, but it's not their story in that they made the story up. Gosh, I guess I made this sound pretty confusing. Sorry for that.

It's not that I don't like the idea of giving them more creative control over the story and the people around them. I don't have the least problem with that. It just doesn't fit our style of play.

Regarding villains, I couldn't agree more. I always try to use villains from their backgrounds (and if there aren't any, I like to tie my villains into the backgrounds), and many times my players take a hatred towards a simple bad guy that I really didn't expect. This is always great for creating recurring villains. I usually have a few bad guys around and watch how the players react to them, then pick the one they dislike the most. It's incredibly satisfying when they finally defeat him.

The players pull out of hyperspace to re route (hyper routes involves a lot of going through major lanes, then take lesser lanes and go through short runs of sublight. When they come out, an inexperienced pilot crashes into them immediately, damaging the ship. They then find themselves in the middle of a fight between a caravan and pirates, and the ship gets boarded. After the fight, they must land on the nearby planet to make repairs, and end up with a mix of things happening that makes life difficult and bonds the crew.