Collectable or LDG?

By Dreamshadow, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I still have a bunch of the old Deadlands Diskwars, L5R Diskwars, and original. Really enjoy it. I'm hoping this is going to be a Living Diskwars Game and not a booster game. The use of 'Core set' in the article leads me to believe that this is going to be sold like Netrunner, LOTR, Warhammer Invasion, etc.

It says in the article the game is not collectible.

Based on the original Diskwars game design by Christian T. Petersen and Tom Jolly, Warhammer: Diskwars is a fast-paced, tactical battle game for two to four players that can be played in an hour or less. It has been updated to its new setting within the Warhammer world and features flexible rules for hero-centric army-building. Additionally, whereas the original Diskwars was a collectible game, Warhammer: Diskwars has moved away from the blind buy model, and the Core Set includes everything you need to play the game.

Living Disc Game.

But you'll probably still need to pick up multiple core sets and big box expansions to get full competitive play set :rolleyes:

But you'll probably still need to pick up multiple core sets and big box expansions to get full competitive play set :rolleyes:

One each of 30 things is better than two each of 15 things. :lol:

(not sarcasm)

Edited by kelann08

Multiple buys to get a complete set is ok with me as long as 1) you still get a fun game with a core set and 2) if you do choose to get multiple core sets to complete a set you don't end up with bazillions of pointless things you cant to use. Closer to the Star Wars card game than Warhammer Invasion please (even if the only set you got multiples of in the core set for Star Wars were the sets you could only ever use 1 of...).

Do we know whether these are going to be 100% compatible with the old Diskwars sets?

Edited by MarthWMaster

I am going to say it will not be 100% compatible with the old sets. For one, the ranged combat is different between the two games....

I hope there will be expansions, but 'sensible' ones. You know, one box that has everything you need to play Lizardmen and Dark Elves (and of course, those two choices were completely at random... :rolleyes: )

Boardgames always seem to be more sensible at this than card games or miniatures games, so my fingers are firmly crossed!

Hello everyone. This is my first day here, and I just wanted to say 'good job' both on the non-collectible aspect, and the ranged combat changes. I only have a passing familiarity with DiskWars, but the whole 'dropping tokens' mechanic for ranged attacks just seemed... wonky. Here's hoping they can do the WH world right with this.

-Brian

So excited about the changes! It looks like they took a good game and may have made it better. 1st quarter 2014 seems too far away though. :-) Time to go break out my old Diskwars and start flipping.

Diskwars was my first FFG, and I loved it. I really like the move to a fixed set.

Wondering if I will need two core set's to be able to field a decent (not necessarily competitive) army of two regiments for each race? 60/4 = about 15 disk's per race (2 of them being hero's). Seem's like one core set would be just enough to have 4 armies of 2 regiments each. Although I guess to focus a bit and get some synergy in the regiments probably an extra core set would help. Guess we'll find out fairly soon ...

Rulebook says getting a second core set is a good idea.

The secondcore set isn't required, for casual play, but there are some reasons to get one, mostly in that some of the specialty disks only have one or 2 copies. When building an army your recruitment points go fairly quick, so I couldn't see anyreason to get more than 2 however.