In my Meta Targaryen is too strong. Which decks can defeat them?

By mischraum.de, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

The flaming pitch tower, the burn and ambush make Targaryen an almost unstoppable opponent in my area. Has anyone experience in defeating strong Targaryen players? Maybe even with using house Lannister which I plan to use this time. I am speaking of LCG decks.

well lanni does have some of the easier answers against them, but here are some other ideas.

Stark kill, Bear island is a better version of flaming pitch tower, coupled with other kill efects and a defensive first approach you should be able to outlast targ.

Bara rush, with vigilant and/or summer to speed it up. might not always work, but should be faster then the targ deck like 80% of the time. Plus fury of the Stag could be devestating to Targ.

Martell (~what?!?!?!) mainly becuase of the dual house guy that when played he discards a Targ or martell location (just be aware of men w/ no king).

Lars said:

well lanni does have some of the easier answers against them, but here are some other ideas.

Stark kill, Bear island is a better version of flaming pitch tower, coupled with other kill efects and a defensive first approach you should be able to outlast targ.

Since I failed last weekend with a Bear Island deck in a tourney I wanted to try Lannister. Maybe it was a mistake to use the location search plot which, of course, also brought the pitch tower against me. Also playing with bear island vs. Claw Isle in another game wasn't fun and the game ended in a draw. So bear island is no solution for me at this time since it limits me and I cannot use the carrion birds and the ravens to make it a season of my choice.

Here in Europe we also don't yet have the Scattered Armies CP.

Most probably I will also try to make it winter because I do not like Kraznys.

mischraum.de said:

Most probably I will also try to make it winter because I do not like Kraznys.

Winter is a good strategy against them because ultimately, Targ needs resources, which means they need locations. With Winter, you are taking away a little of their gold and, if you work the Agenda properly, taking extra cards out of their hand before Marshaling. WInter also opens up the possibility of War Horn (yeah, I know, attachments against Targ are iffy because of all their attachment control). And, since you're Lanni, have the gold and the matching Sea in this Winter deck, it could be worth using WIntertime Marauders out of House. Discarding non-unique CARDS (like Flaming-Pitch Tower...) does wonders against the rather steep resource curve Targ needs.

Fleeing to the Wall is also great against Targ in LCG. If they decide to keep the Flame-Pitch Tower, they leave themselves with no more than 2 influence, putting a real damper on the whole Ambush thing.

Combine some of those Winter resource control ideas with Lanni kneel and events for character control like ALPHD and You Writ Small (money against Targ burn...) and you should have a good chance.

Anyway, that'd be my advice for Lanni-anti-Targ in LCG: Winter resource/location control. If it doesn't mess them up outright, it takes the fight to them and they have spend a lot more time countering you. And it would probably be strong against non-Targ decks, too!

it sounds like your stark deck was missing something. they shouldn't be losing challenges too much in a LCG joust. lethal counter attack is just brutal, they have some of the best defenders in lcg (greatjon, cat stark, hodor, and ser rodrik) and with arya and a little influence they can negate stealth. a well timed wildfire with a noble, robb, and bear island on the table could easily wipe someone's board by the end of dominance. i'd go second as often as possible and if they stay standing and wait for you to attack i'd go to dominance phase where i can start picfking them off.

try running 60 cards with 3x bear island (useful against chella, war horn, and stark location discarders[i think they can be saved here]) 2x cat stark, 2x eddard, 2x arya, 2x robb, ice, Nymeria, Summer (the attachment, all 3 help protect against flame kissed and are not targeted by dragon thief [and good against castellan of the rock] also if you are running a good bit of stalwart charcaters Needle is great against Targ becuase it comes back from the discard pile so you could add it or replace summer with Needle), add in maester vyman (cancels forever burning), and make Kraznys your first kill target. throw in winterfell castle and you have a good base. replace building orders with fury of the wolf and run 3x to be a wolf. here is the plot deck i'd run: fury of the wolf, fleeing to the wall, wildfire, valor, the raven's song (lets you cancel summer/winter for at least 1 turn), rule by decree, and the power of blood. i'd mix in sedective promise gulity and/or lethal counter attack and have some variation of them adding up to no more the 6 total cards. if you don't like the dupes (on the chracters) replace some or all with wolf herald and i'd replace the valar with a second power of blood. i'd also look at jory cassel, house umber berserkers, and vanguard scouts.

Thanks for your inspiration happy.gif

I build a Lannister deck with a little rush in it and it worked quite well. Some deadly and ALPHD against the dragons...

We played a little tourney tonight 4 players each facing each other and two of my opponents played Targ. And lost!

And now I understand when Ser Barristan Selmy can get useful.

Well I had to find out that Bear island does not work against Targ at all, because of the "without attachments" restriction. You just can´t hit anything important with it.

I gues the best way here is using fleeing to the wall, as much draw as you can get, and try to get rid of the summer ravens by shuffling them into the deck( with the raven character) and not discarding them with the winter raven.

Also what i found very effective for Greyjoy is the combo of Winter armada(or other STR boost) with intimidate in power challenges. That way you just claim more power then targ and there´s not much that can be done about it.

~also mocking them for playing the easiest house helps, too~

Never underestimate the power of meta-manipulation. What you can not accomplish through stength of arm, or powerful alliance, you can accomplish through wit and guile. Channel Tyrion, Varys, and/or Littlefinger.