The Overlords very first turn.

By Hooner, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello. I need help with the Overlord's very first turn. The new FAQ states that "The Overlord player should start with 3 overlord cards and 0 threat tokens" during the "Game Setup". Ok so on the OLs very first turn does he draw 2 cards and collect 4 Threat Tokens? (A 4 hero game). If this is true he now has 5 cards in his hand and 4 Threat Tokens. It just seems that if he dumps 3 cards he can end up with a bunch of Threat Tokens on his very first turn allowing him to spawn in new monsters right away (Restricted to using only one card...right?).

Anyways, I ask this because while trying a solo run through with me controlling the Overlord and 4 heroes last night I played for 4 hours and never cleared the first room. I always had tons of Threat Tokens to work with and a couple of blind spots in the back or the first area to place spawned monsters. I be playing the 1st quest from the core game "Into The Dark".

So...again the questions is.....Does the Overlord start his very first "Spawn Monsters" step with 5 cards and 4 Threat Tokens or 3 cards and 0 Tokens?

Cheers,

Cal

Yes, in a 4-hero game, the overlord should have 5 cards and 4 threat during his first turn.

The heroes don't need to kill absolutelye very monster; sometimes it's better to just run ahead if they can't do much to hurt you.

However, if four heroes cannot kill monsters as fast as you're spawning them, something is probably wrong. If you're using only the base game, you shouldn't ever be able to spawn more than 3 monsters in a turn, and you should average rather less than that, even if you spawn as often as possible--which means you probably shouldn't be keeping more than 2 heroes constantly occupied, even with a fair bit of luck.

With only 2 heroes, it can be a lot harder to deal with spawns, but it's been done--and in harder maps. 4 heroes should have no problem with quest 1 unless they're making serious tactical mistakes, getting extremely unlucky, or you're making some sort of rules error.

Hooner said:

Hello. I need help with the Overlord's very first turn. The new FAQ states that "The Overlord player should start with 3 overlord cards and 0 threat tokens" during the "Game Setup". Ok so on the OLs very first turn does he draw 2 cards and collect 4 Threat Tokens? (A 4 hero game). If this is true he now has 5 cards in his hand and 4 Threat Tokens. It just seems that if he dumps 3 cards he can end up with a bunch of Threat Tokens on his very first turn allowing him to spawn in new monsters right away (Restricted to using only one card...right?).

Anyways, I ask this because while trying a solo run through with me controlling the Overlord and 4 heroes last night I played for 4 hours and never cleared the first room. I always had tons of Threat Tokens to work with and a couple of blind spots in the back or the first area to place spawned monsters. I be playing the 1st quest from the core game "Into The Dark".

So...again the questions is.....Does the Overlord start his very first "Spawn Monsters" step with 5 cards and 4 Threat Tokens or 3 cards and 0 Tokens?

Cheers,

Cal

The answer is yes.

With 4 heroes the heroes should easily be able to get through the first room, even if the OL spawns virtually every turn. Note that it is not necessary to completely clear the dungeon. Many times monsters can be 'left behind' as the heroes advance. Also remember that monsters do not block LOS for the purposes of spawning , so a couple of strategically placed heroes can block nearly all spawning in a large area.

Other basic advice is to remember hero fatigue can (and often should) be used for movement. This can mean a Battling hero can use fatigue to move into position and hit two monsters, or a slow hero can attack and then Advance forward and use a couple of fatigue to stay out of reach of the chasing pack for example.

in first quest: area 1 and 4 hero. All opened space is in thier LOS:) so you can`t spawn monster in that area;) ofc if they are put in strategic points. Ahh..and remember OL can discard his cards in any moment...so if you are lucky with deck you can have 15 treat tokens in first round...and in next round you can spawn monsters/cast traps ;p [if you are lucky you can kill hero with spiked pits/crashing rocks/and exploding chests or doors;] and one tip for you:

if your players go to last room you should have 3 doges in hand. [One hit KO> in area with Blast:/]

And much more if you like to truble to heroes take next quest:]