Will there be an AoR beginner game?

By Ineti, in General Discussion

A good side effect of this is now It's easier for players to share Difficulty, Ability, and Proficiency dice without having to constantly pass dice.

You've got a point there.

GOD yes, I hope so! i simply adore beginner/starter/introductory game packages - you get so much for the money. A map and more dice alone would make it worth the cash.

I will buy it if the box is better quality. Not the contents, I'm sure they'll be high quality, but nothing I inherently need. I want a good box. Every other system beginner box I've seen has a sturdy thick box, with a removable lid. I store all my notes, character stuff and dice for that system in the box, and can take it with me whenever I go to gaming. EotE beginner box was thin cheap cardboard that wouldn't hold up to transport, and with only an opening in the top I can't get the easy access to my stuff.

It may seem like a shallow and superficial reason to buy a game supplement, but there you go. Another set of dice, perhaps a nice map, and a good sturdy box and it'll be a good purchase for me. Otherwise, there's nothing in it I can't wait for the main book to see.

Edited by Split Light

I will buy it if the box is better quality. %

I'm not sure about another BG release. If you take the purpose of the BG as being "to familiarize players with the rules step by step as they play" -which is basically that the EotE BG was, is it necessary? "Would it sell enough to justify it" is more to the point, I guess.

Remember that FFG plans to bill this as a separate game though; you aren’t in any way expected to have (or even know about) EotE to play AoR. So if they are wanting to reach more people who might be more willing to play the Rebellion against the Empire and not smugglers then another beginner’s game is perfect and I think it would sell really well; even to EotE players who want more dice, more maps, NPCs, an adventure, and tokens and such. Also, I haven’t seen the EotE beginner’s game in any store around my parts since last Christmas, so short of ordering it only, which someone who isn’t into EotE, wouldn’t due for a different game, (I wouldn’t buy a Pathfinder started set to get into DnD 3.5 even though they are similar for example, or a better direct FFG example might be, I wouldn’t buy the core book for Deathwatch to play an Only War adventure) FFG kind of needs to do another one to help people who aren’t already in the system and have no interest in EotE get into AoR.

I'm not sure about another BG release. If you take the purpose of the BG as being "to familiarize players with the rules step by step as they play" -which is basically that the EotE BG was, is it necessary? "Would it sell enough to justify it" is more to the point, I guess. Maybe a token pack, an adventure that covers any additional rules in AoR, and some more pre-gens. Then you would in theory have to buy the old BG to play, though.

...Hmm. Free web downloads of the adventure and pre-gens?

...And of course I'd buy it anyway. Who am I kidding!

This is why i am holding off to get more dice, because i am waiting to see if an AOR beginner box is released...

I'm not sure about another BG release. If you take the purpose of the BG as being "to familiarize players with the rules step by step as they play" -which is basically that the EotE BG was, is it necessary? "Would it sell enough to justify it" is more to the point, I guess. Maybe a token pack, an adventure that covers any additional rules in AoR, and some more pre-gens. Then you would in theory have to buy the old BG to play, though.

This is why i am holding off to get more dice, because i am waiting to see if an AOR beginner box is released...

You can always use more dice. I have my fifth set on the way and I doubt I am done.

You can always use more dice. I have my fifth set on the way and I doubt I am done.

fjw70, you are such the consumer! :P

Seriously, I would be for a Beginner Game as well based on AoR. Wouldn't it be great if it were to become available just in time for Christmas? That way I can say that I am buying it for one my sons. Sure, that's the ticket! ;)

Another product recommendation: Re-issue some of the old WEG modules in the AoR format, so to speak. Hey, if Star Trek can get a re-boot...

I hope so. If it follows the pattern set by the Edge Beginner Game, that's a set of dice, a basic adventure and a full color poster map for $30. I'd buy that even though I hope that by the time it comes out I'll have a pretty decent handle on the mechanics of the game.

I'm likely to buy it even tho' I've got the beta, several sets of dice, the Edge beginner box, and the Edge corebook...

The adventure plus the dice was worth it for the Edge beginner box - but the tokens were also nifty, useful, and the map is VERY pretty.

I would be in for AoR beginner box. Dice, maps, tokens are all good. The beginner rulebooks are also handy at the table.

Would buy.

So any updates on future planned releases let alone if this might be in the pipeline?

PS Any of you caught the rebel panel discussion?

I'm trying to remember the EotE release announcement timeline from last year, and I'm wondering: if there were to be an AoR Beginner Game, would it have been announced by now?

I'm trying to remember the EotE release announcement timeline from last year, and I'm wondering: if there were to be an AoR Beginner Game, would it have been announced by now?

I have no idea but I know you can go back and check the dates of old news and announcements.

If I remember rightly it was announced to be released around this time and eventually released in February.

No announcements of that type.. yet sounds like the Hired Gun Career Book is due out next.

If I remember rightly it was announced to be released around this time and eventually released in February.

No announcements of that type.. yet sounds like the Hired Gun Career Book is due out next.

I'll look it up, but I distinctly remember buying the Beginner Game in December of last year.

(Cue hold music.)

OK, I just confirmed. The Beginner Box was first announced in September of last year, and hit stores in December .

If there was going to be one, we most likely would have seen an announcement back in September. That said, they might just be on a later production schedule now that they're making EotE books in addition to the AoR books- it did take longer to get the AoR beta books out this year, and perhaps they're still planning to release an AoR Beginner Box next year sometime.

I'm still hoping for a "surprise" announcement in the near future.

Shut up and take my money, FFG!

Thank you for looking that up, Yoshiyahu . and like Maelora says, this'd be an auto-buy for me. :)

It could also be that if FFG is planning on doing an AoR Beginner Box, they might opt to time the release closer to when the AoR core rulebook is going to come out.

There was some concern/worry (at least in my area) that there was such a long gap between when the EotE Beginner Box was released and when the EotE core rulebook came out. FFG might be looking to avoid that this time around, and thus have an AoR Beginner Box come out no more than two months outside of when the AoR core rulebook is scheduled to be in stores.

Assuming they're even doing an AoR Beginner Box in the first place. It could very well be that they feel the EotE version does the job well enough to not warrant an entirely new one.

When TSR did this sort of thing they pretty much duplicated what was released in one box set with the other even if it should have been entirely different but I assume they had limits as to what they could do at the time.

If they do go ahead with this and it is a good idea to do so since even I would buy this (and I'm between groups at present but still interested enough to try to keep up on the posts here) what I'm left wondering is will it be of the same level of details in the edge beginner box set that gave it great reviews (well that I know of anyway)?

It would be easy for them to reuse bits from the edge box but I honestly can't see them repeating TSR's mistake so what would you like to see in an Age of Rebellion Beginner Box Set?

What map would you like to see?

A Corellian Corvette or a Rebel base on one side and maybe an Imperial verison on the other?

A new set of characters or make use of the ones provided with the Age of Rebellion Beta?

Examples of base assets and how duty works in this game?

A traditional star wars adventure since this is the Rebellion set?

Any other ideas you'd like to post for discussion?

When TSR did this sort of thing they pretty much duplicated what was released in one box set with the other even if it should have been entirely different but I assume they had limits as to what they could do at the time.

If they do go ahead with this and it is a good idea to do so since even I would buy this (and I'm between groups at present but still interested enough to try to keep up on the posts here) what I'm left wondering is will it be of the same level of details in the edge beginner box set that gave it great reviews (well that I know of anyway)?

It would be easy for them to reuse bits from the edge box but I honestly can't see them repeating TSR's mistake so what would you like to see in an Age of Rebellion Beginner Box Set?

What map would you like to see?

A Corellian Corvette or a Rebel base on one side and maybe an Imperial verison on the other?

A new set of characters or make use of the ones provided with the Age of Rebellion Beta?

Examples of base assets and how duty works in this game?

A traditional star wars adventure since this is the Rebellion set?

Any other ideas you'd like to post for discussion?

Map: Lambda and Gamma shuttles.

Counters: New mix, please.

Adventure: Mission oriented. Starting in media res.

New characters.

I would like a map of an imperial base and a lambda shuttle.

I would like an adventure that involves a base being assaulted to capture an imperial shuttle.

New characters.

It could also be fun to have a map of a Rebel base, that you have to defend or escape from.

Put me down for a "Will Buy". I'm looking forward to another set of dice, can't have too many, and a great introductory adventure to bring people into the Rebellion.

E