[Campaign] A Subtle Force

By Simon Retold, in Game Masters

Okay... so tomorrow night and Sunday evening, I start a pair of identical campaigns for two different groups. I've got most of the first act of the campaign mapped out, including a ton of contingencies, so the players can feel free to go off the rails if they want. The idea is to play a trilogy of campaigns that run concurrently with the three movies of the original trilogies, and to give the players the option to get involved in the greater Star Wars story - or not - if they see fit.

Here's the flyer I put around town:

subtleforce_sm2.jpg

(Click the image to view the full-sized PDF)

And... the crawl. It looks pretty low-quality on YouTube if you don't turn it up to 720p and let it buffer a bit. It was made on the iPad Crawl Creator, which is a fine little toy, for sure. Also, I feel like the crawl dragged on; I should have separated that long paragraph in the middle into two smaller ones.

http://youtu.be/wYsBACGl4Z8

And... game notes. After finding a few issues I took them down, but that's okay. Read the next post to find out how the first night with the first group went.

Edited by Simon Fix

First night. First group. Three players.

• Twi'lek Fringer
  • Wookiee Marauder
  • Trandoshan Survivalist

Now, you might be saying to yourself, "Hey, Trandoshans hate Wookiees! And Wookiees hate Trandoshans!" And that's true, on a broad, species level. But these two, well... they seemed to revel in each others' abilities to cause mayhem. The Twi'lek Fringer's player couldn't make it tonight, so it was essentially a combat-heavy pair of death machines, and death machines they were. Every opportunity for story-based role-play turned into a chance to slaughter a non-player character, and why not? Heck, they didn't even spare the ailing, elderly matron of a large Ithorian herdship who sought nothing more but to return her son to the safety of his people, and to hand over to him the responsibilities of the family. The Trandoshian slit all four of her throats and let her bleed out.

They murdered the captain and crew of the ship they had been traveling in after making a deal with a pirate. Sadly for them, the pirate was about as honorable as they were, and set the freighter adrift after looting it. As the ship plummeted toward Adarlon, they had little hope of survival... until the majordomo of Chorta the Hutt contacted them and offered his services. A tractor beam. Safe landing.

Obligation to a Hutt. Woohoo.

Needless to say, it was the bloodiest game night I've been part of in a half dozen years or more, and it turned out to be a whole lot more fun - and more challenging - than I ever expected. Still, the system worked smoothly, and the players, who were just as new to EotE as I, picked up the dice rolls just fine.

We've got another session scheduled for next Saturday.

In the meantime, group two meets tomorrow. I fully expect them, based on what I know of the players, to be a whole lot more sympathetic. We'll see how it goes!