Another newbie seeking advice on a mono-Yog deck

By Pac_Man3D, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi folks

I’m fairly new to the deck-building side of the game so I just thought I’d post my mono-Yog deck for some feedback on how it could be tweaked. I daresay this deck doesn’t reinvent the wheel in any way but I’m enjoying its capacity to annoy the people I’ve played against so far.

Deck Name: Purple Ronnie

Characters (30)

Blood Magician x3

Cthugha x2

Decrepit Wizard x2

Doppleganger x3

Faceless Abductor x3

Jeanne D’Ys x2

Many-angled Thing x3

Professor Nathaniel Peaslee(TKatG) x2

Scholar from Yith x3

Umr at-Tawil x1

Wandering Gug x2

Wentshukumishiteu x2

Yithian Scout x2

Events (11)

Beneath the Mire x2

Broken Space, Broken Time x2

Mists of Lethe x3

Vortex of Time x2

Temporal Slip x2

Support (9)

Dimensional Rift x1

Frozen Time x3

Rite of the Silver Gate x2

Rite of the Silver Key x2

Terrors in the Dark x1

Total = 50

As I said, I doubt there’s anything in there that would raise Tom Capor’s eyebrows, but Mists of Lethe can work with Beneath the Mire to sucker-punch an opponent when they commit a few characters to two stories by moving one of them to a third – and to put Doppelgangers and Many-angled Things back into your hand. I’ve been using the Gugs as meat-shields (because of the handy discard (side-)effect) and Decrepit Wizard and Rite of the Silver Key to get resourced Yithian Scouts and Vortex of Time into my discard pile.

I was considering putting Sentinel Hill back in there, but I'm not really sure there's anything that doesn't belong - though perhaps I can't see the woods for the trees ;) I’ll eventually be looking at swapping out the ancient ones for Glaaki and Yog-Sothoth, lord of time and space, to get some extra mileage out of my discarded spells but until then this is what I’ll be using at my local game store and to annoy my better half.

Let me know your thoughts. What am I missing? I’m limited to playing mono-everything because our whole family plays the game, so alas, I can’t be nabbing bits of our Shub deck or Cthulhu deck to spruce this one up. I could do with some way of accelerating my domains but I haven’t found anything that suits that purpose. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pac_Man3D

Just been looking through the KatG box and thinking about Fthaggua. Am I right in thinking that if I have Mists of Lethe in my discard pile, I can use its action to return to my hand one of the cards attached to Fthaggua? If so, then on paper that sounds like a great way of stopping important (dead) characters from getting into my discard pile.

Well, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if that works, though. I'd say it would be best to use the rule question functionality on this site.

Yeah, I wasn't sure either, so I've put it to the forum. Having said that, the attached Yog cards are in play and I control them, so it should be feasible (as written). Fingers crossed.

@jhaelan - Mists of Lethe with Fthaggua as I suggested above isn't feasible. But using Mists of Lethe to put Fthaggua itself back in my hand to put ALL the cards back in the discard pile IS. Happy days.

Just to clarify that last point. Originally I was wanting particular cards attached to Fthaggua to go back to my hand with MoL, but that's a no-no. THEN I noticed in games with Fthaggua that I was having to discard cards to put Yithian Scout in the discard pile rather than him being gobbled up. So as a consolation, I can at least put Fthaggua back to my hand with MoL so the characters that function in the discard pile can get there without me having to mill myself out. All I need now is something purple-flavoured that can put cards from my discard pile back to my hand - something more economic than Rite of the Silver Key.

Hi folks

I’m fairly new to the deck-building side of the game so I just thought I’d post my mono-Yog deck for some feedback on how it could be tweaked. I daresay this deck doesn’t reinvent the wheel in any way but I’m enjoying its capacity to annoy the people I’ve played against so far.

Deck Name: Purple Ronnie

Characters (30)

Blood Magician x3

Cthugha x2

Decrepit Wizard x2

Doppleganger x3

Faceless Abductor x3

Jeanne D’Ys x2

Many-angled Thing x3

Professor Nathaniel Peaslee(TKatG) x2

Scholar from Yith x3

Umr at-Tawil x1

Wandering Gug x2

Wentshukumishiteu x2

Yithian Scout x2

Events (11)

Beneath the Mire x2

Broken Space, Broken Time x2

Mists of Lethe x3

Vortex of Time x2

Temporal Slip x2

Support (9)

Dimensional Rift x1

Frozen Time x3

Rite of the Silver Gate x2

Rite of the Silver Key x2

Terrors in the Dark x1

Total = 50

As I said, I doubt there’s anything in there that would raise Tom Capor’s eyebrows, but Mists of Lethe can work with Beneath the Mire to sucker-punch an opponent when they commit a few characters to two stories by moving one of them to a third – and to put Doppelgangers and Many-angled Things back into your hand. I’ve been using the Gugs as meat-shields (because of the handy discard (side-)effect) and Decrepit Wizard and Rite of the Silver Key to get resourced Yithian Scouts and Vortex of Time into my discard pile.

I was considering putting Sentinel Hill back in there, but I'm not really sure there's anything that doesn't belong - though perhaps I can't see the woods for the trees ;) I’ll eventually be looking at swapping out the ancient ones for Glaaki and Yog-Sothoth, lord of time and space, to get some extra mileage out of my discarded spells but until then this is what I’ll be using at my local game store and to annoy my better half.

Let me know your thoughts. What am I missing? I’m limited to playing mono-everything because our whole family plays the game, so alas, I can’t be nabbing bits of our Shub deck or Cthulhu deck to spruce this one up. I could do with some way of accelerating my domains but I haven’t found anything that suits that purpose. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pac_Man3D

I just wanted to let you know ( in case you were unaware) that you can't have both doppleganger and broken time, broken space in the same deck as they are both restricted. It's not really a big deal If you are just playing for funsies, but If you compete in any time of organized play than you would have to remove one.

-kama

Edited by kamacausey