"Wop" May

By Grendel, in Wings of War (WWI)

Hi;

I've have always enjoyed the bios of famous pilots, but I noticed as small error in your excellent bio of Manfred von Richthofen. If it has already been mentioned, I apologize for repeating.

In the bio, it is state that:

"On April 21st 1918, the Red Baron was flying over the Somme, tailing a young Australian pilot called Wilfred "***" May, who was flying his Sopwith Camel and desperately trying to avoid enemy fire. When all seemed lost for May, a Canadian pilot called Arthur "Roy" Brown flew to his rescue, and opened fire from behind the Red Baron's aircraft. Slightly damaged, the red Fokker continued its course towards the Allied lines for another minute, then crashed to the ground. The plane did not seem to have suffered damage sufficient to cause the crash, but the legendary Red Baron lay lifeless in the cockpit."

*** May is definitely a colourful figure in the history of aeronautics, but, like Roy Brown, he too was also a Canadian. His most interesting exploits actually occurred after the First World War, when he helped to establish the role of the bush pilot in Canada, being involved in a famous mission of mercy among other events.

His Wikipedia entry will give you a good short summary of his exploits.

Thank you for an excellent game and the support provided, especially the colour that is provided by the bios.

text deleted by author