10 Tweaks to perfection [Weapons & Armour]

By GauntZero, in Game Mechanics

Time for the second block of hopefully usefull improvement suggestions.

As before, I first wanna run them through the best filter alive - you.

As lifetime is quite limited - there we go:

1.) Armour now limit the useable Agility Bonus - this is a really really good addition.

But it does not limit the use of Agility itself ?

Means the Agility 82 Assassin is stuck on Agility 2 in his feudal plate, but can still jump around with his evasion like being naked ?

--> if the own Agility Bonus exceed the limitation, there should be a penalty on any Ag-related tests also, at least -10, at worst -10 per point over the limit

2.) why don't have "Storm" Weapons any benefit for pinning ?

--> they should get a bonus of any sorts, mainly for realism.

I think double bullets used in suppressive fire is even more scary than "normal" one

3.) There is no way to resist "Sapping"

--> there should be a Toughness Test to at least be able to limit the negative effect

Like: Toughness -X (Sapping (2) would lead to -20) --> a success would prevent the fatigue

4.) Melta should remain as it was - double Pen at close distances

In the way it now is, it shouts for being abused by melting ANYTHING

5.) A Hand Cannon is almost as Bad-Ass as a Bolt Pistol ???

--> really, come on. We are talking about a bolt pistol. It is.a.bolt.pistol.

Emperors prefered instrument of doom. The Hand Cannon should have slightly less damage (+5 instead +6 at least).

6.) Nearly ALL Melee Weapons should get the Strength Bonus added

--> it makes no sense to exclude from a lot of them which have it excluded right now (knife, Eviscerator, Great Weapon, Staff...)

--> if giving +Strength Bonus would be to much in sum, reduce the base damage a little

7.) I think it can be quite critical to tie the Agility Bonus to Melee RoF

--> RoF should be a fixed value. Otherwise htere will be jumping-around-ninjas everywhere

in the future

8.) As mentioned in another thread, Burning (X) is too easily put out, even if X is a quite high value

--> only be able to put out a certain amount of X with the DoS of a corresponding tests

9.) no saving throw against crippling ?

--> should be Toughness (-X), where X is the taken damage from the hit after reduction from armour/Toughness *5

If there is no saving throw, Master enemies are too easily crippled down

10.) I prefered the old Unbalanced / Unwieldy differentiation...but maybe thats just me...

What do you think ?

The hand cannon is a very different beast to the Bolt Pistol, and I wouldn't call it 'better.'

The bolt pistol has a few things on its side to account for the less damage. It only takes one hand, it's got more penetration power, it holds a significantly larger amount of rounds, takes less time to reload, and, very importantly, has tearing. Tearing is a big deal. It means you're much more likely to get a good damage score, and much more likely to score Righteous Fury, which is a big deal.

But...but...but...it is a BOLT PISTOL

It's iconic ! ;D

Its balanced as is, right, I just dont like a damage 2 higher fluff-wise

I mean - the olt pistol has maybe around the same caliber, but is an awesome mini-rocket which explodes inside the enemy...

From a balance view - issues 1 & 6 are most important for

Fluff wise, I'd say it's down to the fact that Bolt Pistols provide more reliable, consistent damage, while hand cannons are less predictable but have potential to do more damage.

But but but....

A BOLT PISTOL is the emperors sanctioned (AAT ;) ) tool for putting heretics to justice ! ;D

I'm ok with characters getting no saving throw to resist Sapping and Crippling -- adding more Tests will bog down combat quite a lot (and DH never had a particularly streamlined combat system).

Relating to the bolt pistol vs. hand cannon debate, I don't mind hand cannons having higher max damage than bolt pistols, as long as they are balanced.

I agree with most of your other points, though I think #2 and #10 aren't necessary (less complexity is good, IMO).

But...but...but...it is a BOLT PISTOL

It's iconic ! ;D

Like!

Agreed. In general the icons of 40k should be the goto options for PCs.

Lasguns for utility (they lack this)

Boltguns for stopping power and cool (they sort of lack that)

Now then, how to 'crunch up' skulls, spikes, head tubes, pauldrons, and sashimonos with severed heads...?

Yeah, thats what I mean ;D

CHain Sword and Bolter shouldn't be overpowered.

But they CERTAINLY NEVER EVER SHOULD BE UNDERPOWERED in any WH40k RPG system.

Even.if.they.one.day.decide.to.publish.an.eldar.rpg