Ithilien Pit

By Morithain, in Rules questions & answers

The wording on this card is confusing me. When an enemy gets this attached to him, does that mean anybody can attack him immediately, or do you have to wait until the combat phase? Does it mean that from now on that enemy can be attacked by basically anyone--as if everyone suddenly had the ranged keyword for that enemy? Or what? Not sure how to use this card.

Thanks for any help on this.

You have to wait till the combat phase to attack the enemy as normal, but the enemy can be attacked by all players regardless of who it is engaged with or even if it remains in the staging area

For example player 1 plays ithilien pit, during staging, Enemy X is revealed from the encounter deck and becomes attached to the pit. Enemy X has an engagement cost of 40. Players 1 and 2 have respective threats of 20 and 30 and elect not to optionally engage any enemies leaving enemy X in the staging area. During the combat phase both players 1 and 2 may attack and kill enemy x

Daaaaamn. That's wicked. That's going into my mono-Lore deck NOW. Thanks!

My next question is how does this combine with Ranger Spikes, and Ithilien Tracker? Do they distribute to the next eligible enemy or all attach to the same enemy that shows up. I mean, If Pit and Spikes are in the staging area and the Ithilien tracker is using his ability, enemy X shows up. Do the pit AND the spikes get him, and his threat (if there is any after the -2 from the spikes) reduced? Or does the pit get him, then the spikes get the next enemy, then the 3rd enemy gets his threat nullified by the tracker (or whatever order determined by first player)?

Thanks.

Edited by Morithain

Everything would go on the first enemy. Subsequent enemies would not be affected. Which is awesome if you reveal a Mumak or something, but if it ends up being like bats or crows it can sometimes be a waste

Try to combine those traps with the encounter peek cards of lore and you can make more informed trap plays. AKA the right trap for the right job :)

Edited by Nerdmeister

Everything would go on the first enemy. Subsequent enemies would not be affected. Which is awesome if you reveal a Mumak or something, but if it ends up being like bats or crows it can sometimes be a waste

If I remember correctly attachments can't be played on Mamuk's

If I remember correctly attachments can't be played on Mamuk's

you're right, it was just the first enemy i thought of and i forgot its text.

so um it would all go on some random orc then

I have a different question about this card:

Would each player need to wait until their own attack phase to attack it, or is it like Ranged where you can assign your own attackers even if it's not your attack phase? I can't find any rules that would clarify this.

I have a different question about this card:

Would each player need to wait until their own attack phase to attack it, or is it like Ranged where you can assign your own attackers even if it's not your attack phase? I can't find any rules that would clarify this.

I believe you would need to wait until your own attack phase. Ranged in the rulebook specifically states:

A character with the ranged keyword can be declared

by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are
engaged with other players. A character can declare
ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is
declaring attacks, or it can participate in attacks that are
declared by other players
The first sentence falls in line with the effect of ithilien pit whereas the second sentence does not and seems unique to ranged

Ok, I sent the question into FFG and Caleb clarified that you do, indeed, have each player do their own attacks against the enemy during their own attack windows. Sad. This card would be much more powerful if every player could attack at the same time, but it's still powerful, especially since we can attack it even if it's in the staging area.

On 8/5/2013 at 1:48 PM, Morithain said:

The wording on this card is confusing me. When an enemy gets this attached to him, does that mean anybody can attack him immediately, or do you have to wait until the combat phase?

That was my first question as well. Sounds like this card would be more useful in multi-player games (or multi-handed games) than in true solo. Probably only worth having if the scenario has a difficult enemy with high engagement cost.