Has Agility become too useful?

By KommissarK, in Game Mechanics

In DH2, the amount of "key" uses of Agility as compared to previous editions has skyrocketed. The following is a very short list of things that come to mind easily, but the list is definitely much longer.

• Without a Run action, a high AB is needed for mobility in the field
  • AB is now added in as bonus damage on a charge
  • AB is now a base reduction of meters fallen
  • The Nimble talent uses AB in the place of TB on damage resistance (currently negating the use of Felling weapons)
  • Agility is now used to test First Aid
  • Agility is now used to test Demolitions
  • AB is often used as a base stat for melee weapon RoF

And these are on top of the traditional uses of Agi from DH1, evasion, putting out a fire on yourself, movement rate, stealth, sleight of hand,etc.

Have the amount of uses of Agi increased too much?

'Agility' (or equivalent, e.g. Reflexes) in many rulesets has long been the God-stat.

'Have the amount of uses of Agi increased too much?'

Maybe. Without seeing a consolidated list of the various uses of all the stats and thewir bonuses though, it's hard to say.

What i can say though is i like to see systems that include stats with roughly equal uses (or as close to that as possible.

I've always felt the present sof God-stats and Sink-stats in a game show poor or lazy design.

Every stat (or whatever) included should have a key effect on the game. Shouldn't it?

Suggested changes:

Make all movements uniform based on size. Add an action that lets you roll athletics to move farther. (You also et the benefit of choosing a stat to apply for that roll)

Change charge to be the above move, add DoS to the damage. On a failed roll, you move your normal pace and can still attack.

Allow an acrobatics or athletics roll to reduce damage from falling based on DoS rather than agility.

Fix the wording on the nimble talent (reduced by Felling as it would Toughness).

Let it e used for First Aid, along with WP or Int

Same for demolitions.

Change melee RoF to your weapon skill bonus

Any objections to these?

As some may have noticed in another thread I think:

- Nimble simply has to go. Agility is already used for dodge, don't make it a double dip into damage soaking.

- No ability bonus dependence in melee weapons rate of attack, it simply scales too crazy compared to the other weapons, no matter what stat.

- First aid and Demolitions should be Int based. However, I am not too fused with this one, allowing both Int and Agi seems to be a fine compromise.

- I haven't formed any anti-agility opinion on the rest, it is fine that agility has some nice things going for it.

Edited by Alox