Overlord's spawning

By tone3, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi guys! I'm a beginner of this game, but I have a very important question for you all, please answer me!!

- When the Overlord create a new monster out of heroes' line of view in his turn, can he also move them and attack or does he wait his following turn to use the new creatures? I'm asking you this because the rules say that when there's something blocking the view of the hero, he can't see the monsters (those who are already on the map, not the evocated ones) behind this block (a mountain, or another monster itself) and the OL can't activate and use them until the block is removed and the hero discovers the new monster. Concerning this rule, the OL can evocate new monsters out of heroes' sight, but he can't use them and attack until the heroes see them, i suppose...

Please help me guys!! sorpresa.gif

You may not evocate monsters behind other monsters if the heroes can normally see that space without the blocking monster being there. You may move and attack with monsters the same turn they have been evocated.

tone said:

Hi guys! I'm a beginner of this game, but I have a very important question for you all, please answer me!!

- When the Overlord create a new monster out of heroes' line of view in his turn, can he also move them and attack or does he wait his following turn to use the new creatures? I'm asking you this because the rules say that when there's something blocking the view of the hero, he can't see the monsters (those who are already on the map, not the evocated ones) behind this block (a mountain, or another monster itself) and the OL can't activate and use them until the block is removed and the hero discovers the new monster. Concerning this rule, the OL can evocate new monsters out of heroes' sight, but he can't use them and attack until the heroes see them, i suppose...

Please help me guys!! sorpresa.gif

You seem to be under a misaprehension, unless I am misunderstanding you.

The overlord can activate and use all monsters within an 'area' that has been opened by the heroes. This 'area', and its opening, does not relate to what the heroes can see or not see, but relates to the entire dungeon area that is not on the other side of an unopened door*. Usually these 'areas' are also shown on teh quest guide by subtly different shades of grey stone for the floor. For example, Area 1 in DJitD (Into the Dark) contains a 6x4 room, a 4x4 room and some extra bits. Once the first door has been opened any monster in the spaces marked area 1 can be activated, whether the heroes can see that space or not.

So there is no problem with the OL 'evocating' (activating?) monsters out of sight of the heroes. The OL can immediately activate the mosnters and move and attack with them.

I think it's a translation hickup here... I think when talking about "Evocation" the OP is talking about Spawning figures. In which case, what Royaldoy said is correct. Existing monsters don't block line of sight in terms of spawning/evoking monsters behind them, but you can activate monsters in the same turn you spawn/evoke them.

(evoke: to call forth, or conjure)

I'm getting the impression he thought that after the OL "evocated" some monsters they cannot move until heroes actually see them (like in space hulk with blips...partially).

Osaka said:

I think it's a translation hickup here... I think when talking about "Evocation" the OP is talking about Spawning figures. In which case, what Royaldoy said is correct. Existing monsters don't block line of sight in terms of spawning/evoking monsters behind them, but you can activate monsters in the same turn you spawn/evoke them.

(evoke: to call forth, or conjure)

That was my assumption. I thought english was probably not his first language. He was using "evocation" as though he was talking about spawning.

Thank you guys...I'm sorry for any mistake I made in the post. Royaldoy's right: english is not my first language, I'm italian. By the way, now I know the right translation. gran_risa.gif

StarBurn said:

I'm getting the impression he thought that after the OL "evocated" some monsters they cannot move until heroes actually see them (like in space hulk with blips...partially).

StarBurn is right: that's what I mean in my first post.

p.s. Evocated= wrong translation. I mean spawn.

tone said:

StarBurn said:

StarBurn is right: that's what I mean in my first post.

p.s. Evocated= wrong translation. I mean spawn.

Yes, sorry, I understood that part - evocate is a common enough root word in english if you've read or played enough magic-type games.

I just wasn't entirely sure if I was understanding your basic mistake of not activating out-of-sight monsters - because that is a fairly rare and unusual error (though much more understandable once you are working through translations). So I hope my first answer helped correct that error. happy.gif