Dragon!

By HonorforONEFilms, in Battlelore

Who here wants a dragon? And if you do than what would it look like?

the shrek dragon or a hydra with removeable heads to track damage. i would also like to see baby dragons

Maybe a multi hex dragon with removeble heads. Each time you make a hit you take off a head. Each head would get seprate attacks to.

Not so sure on the multi-hex angle - considering one hex represents a fair sized area of land, large enough for a wood or hill or an entire regiment (which is what each unit signifies) - but the removable head is an interesting twist on Hit Point tokens :)

Seeing as the Scots got (okay, became ) Dwarfs, I feel it only fair we Welsh receive our Red Dragon!

This is where an official point system would come in handy. You could buy the dragon for say 20 points. Than you could buy a dragon rider for 5 more points. You could pick what flag color you wanted him(for more or less points) and you could have him carry a crossbow, comman bow, long sword, ect.. There are many fan made point systems but I would like an official one. Every game should have a point system. After a dragon maybe we could get nesse for those Scotish dwarfs.

gran_risa.gif

Nessie? Genius idea! I can see the ad campaign now;

"Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water hexes, think again..."

Although, you'd have to blow your magic thistle-whistle each game to see which of The Family Ness showed up. Just pray it's not this one...

familyness6.jpg

More seriously though, personally, I like the fact that BL doesn't have a point system - sets it apart from every other battle game. The Call to Arms decks are a unique. balanced and highly interesting approach: a great idea that simply requires further support to provide greater options.

As to the dragon rider and options - sounds a little too Warhammer for me (don't get me wrong, I lurv the Warhammer - just when playing Warhammer , not Battlelore ).

Hi there,

Point costing for BL is very, very hard (and why Call to Arms exists the way it does) and would take huge amounts of testing to reduce the 'sweet spot' army creation. Not only do you have to deal with troop quality and weapons but also which rank they are on, e.g. to me a red infantry on the back row is worth comparatively less than one closer to the enemy but at the same time if there was Lore in place its value would go up again (thanks to Portal etc), very quickly it would start looking like Warhammer or some such (not knocking Warhammer its a good game) but I'd really hate for BL to get that 'involved' (I play other games where squeezing the last usage out of every point is part of the experience so do get it gran_risa.gif )

Chris

This is where an official point system would come in handy. You could buy the dragon for say 20 points. Than you could buy a dragon rider for 5 more points. You could pick what flag color you wanted him(for more or less points) and you could have him carry a crossbow, comman bow, long sword, ect.. There are many fan made point systems but I would like an official one. Every game should have a point system. After a dragon maybe we could get nesse for those Scotish dwarfs.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?goto=123231#msg_123231

After reading this post written by Richard Borg himself, I'd say an official point system ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Personaly, I'm glad, and agree 100% with Richard on this question. But as mentionned, you are always free to develop your own point system.

As I stated in the other forum on the same topic, I hope there NEVER EVER is a dragon. It would ruin the whole game for sure - since it has flying capability (presumed) as well as some very big ranged attack that could easily knock out various units. I just don't think a dragon is very well suited for Battlelore - at least NOT at this juncture. There are a lot more better things to iron out than to have a dragon.

Cab

Caboose said:

As I stated in the other forum on the same topic, I hope there NEVER EVER is a dragon. It would ruin the whole game for sure - since it has flying capability (presumed) as well as some very big ranged attack that could easily knock out various units. I just don't think a dragon is very well suited for Battlelore - at least NOT at this juncture. There are a lot more better things to iron out than to have a dragon.

Cab

Caboose, I feel your view is strongly based upon your interpretation of what constitutes a "Dragon" - a view heavily influenced by standard modern fantasy literature/media (i.e. post-Tolkien)

The alternative perspective would be one more archaic in nature - a classical, mythical or medieval view - which I think is far more in the vein of the Battlelore setting.

In this interpretation, whilst powerful, dragons are not the size of a space station and are not the heralds of utter destruction on the battlefield. Dragons became popular through the tales of heroic knights sent on quests to slay the vicious beast - and in most cases they did. I'm sure our own BL Heroes would be up for such a challenge, or what about that unit of Red Banner Knights - one of them could easily be the heir of Lancelot.

But the key word here is beast - they were perceived as mystical, even magical, but only a step or two up from other predators such as lions and tigers and bears (oh, my!). From this view, dragons are well within the range of Trolls, Ogres and other mythical creatures, and I think this view of dragons is definitely relevant in the BL setting.

Alright I gues I agree, No point system. Too bad but what you said makes sense. What you said about the dragon rider makes sense too. If were going to go that far we might as well just play warhammer. As to what Caboose said about the dragon, I like the idea of a dragon. Who knows mabye we could get a gyrocopter next.

I'm with silvokar on this: a Dragon can be as dangerous as a giant, in a "medieval" way

Adding flying abilty to the game might have more long ranging effects than the desingers want atm. I suspect that once one unit can fly there will be calls for more and than you start to deviate from the historical element just a bit too much. Whilst i quite like the idea of a few more fantastical creatures I do wonder what they would do to game balance. A simple question springs to mind, how on earth do you decide what dice it rolls, and then what about the dice it uses whilst flying. I for one am glad its not my job to decide.

Indygnome said:

Adding flying abilty to the game might have more long ranging effects than the desingers want atm. I suspect that once one unit can fly there will be calls for more and than you start to deviate from the historical element just a bit too much. Whilst i quite like the idea of a few more fantastical creatures I do wonder what they would do to game balance. A simple question springs to mind, how on earth do you decide what dice it rolls, and then what about the dice it uses whilst flying. I for one am glad its not my job to decide.

I forgot about the historical aspect. I whish it could just be fantesy battles.